Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 98 Posts

TT's with 35 to 50 th. miles fetch between 36.000 and 40.000 pounds FWIW
Old 02-24-2005, 06:47 PM
Andy Roe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Driving a LHD car is not a problem, trust me! The quality of the LHD cars is far better than the RHD cars, enven though they cost much less. Better optioned & better cared for. Many more LHD cars to choose from., so your chances of finding a gooden are much greater. Go for it!
Old 02-24-2005, 07:17 PM
raymond-turner
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dave, hi. LHD is no problem here in the UK, and a great benifit if/when you venture across the water. Camtune have a spectacular 993 TT for under 35k, give them a call, and take it out for a play, and have a look at my engine when you are there. Cheers
Old 02-28-2005, 10:05 AM
DaveK
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, I did plan to go and look at both of these at the weekend.

Unfortunately, my weekend didn't exactly go as planned - best laid plans and all that. Can't say it was a dull weekend - but I must confess that given the choice, looking at 911 turbos would have been a very much more popular option!
Old 02-28-2005, 12:09 PM
harris
Burning Brakes

well,

i think that is not that bad driving on the wrong side of the car when u are driving in U.K. i.e LHD car...

I am originally from Greece were we drive on the other side....so to me driving a LHD car is no prob. BUT there is also no prob driving a RHD car. I did it the first day I came to U.K to study at a university.

the problem might occur if u are driving a LHD car in a B-road with a truck in front of you and you have no visibillity to overtake since your sight is block by the from truck. obviously then you will have to either "cheat by looking ahead from the left side of the truck....... , or the best way wich you will do of course, because it is much safer is to let the truck go ahead for about 50 feet and then (assuming that you have enough power, which i doubt that you will with these underpowered porsches....-that's a joke- u will have to press just the gas pedal for a while.

on the other hand assuming that driving generally is not a prob, 10K out of 45K less, is approx 22 % which i have to admit it is a lot and of course a bargain TT to buy.......

i would.....

p.s. have in mind again that changing gears with a right hand doesn't mean that you will have to spend a whole life trainning your hand to do, as if it was to write an essay with your "not-good" hand.....
it is a matter of excersice.....
Old 02-28-2005, 02:18 PM
SNOWBIRD
Pro

Why do RHD cars cost more than LHD? I'm guessing there are fewer making the demand higher?? Same price new I am assuming....
Old 03-01-2005, 06:27 AM
leosayer
Racer

Cos we live in 'Rip-off Britiain'!!!
Old 03-01-2005, 09:38 AM
harris
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by leosayer
Cos we live in 'Rip-off Britiain'!!!

i agree
Old 03-01-2005, 10:01 AM
warmfuzzies
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 10 Posts
Wink

Tooling, if the majority of you output is towards LHD then RHD will cost more to tool up for a smaller market.....

besides LHD is for cheapskates.................

kevin.
Old 03-01-2005, 10:19 AM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

There are very few parts on a RHD 964 which require special tooling. Because they are conversions of the LHD the only major parts which would require special tooling would be the doors, fuel tank, dash and the pedal mounting assembly. I cannot think of anything else. There are brackets and the like.
Most everything else is just moved.
RHD and LHD are all on the same single production line I could not see any added costs there that would be justified.
Last year I was at BMW and the LHD and RHD are all on the same line there as well and they take exactly the same time to construct.
Ciao,
Adrian
Old 03-01-2005, 10:27 AM
Andy Roe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

LHD cars are probably cheaper in the UK because many people see them as being less practical, and less desirable. This will have an effect on the price of used cars.
Old 03-01-2005, 10:40 AM
warmfuzzies
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 10 Posts

Adrian,

Bulkheads and cutouts I believe were the issues, along with parts, some some tooling must be different to allow for this.

BMW arein a completely different market sector I would suggest. how many BMW's are produced against the Porsche range, therefore tooling costs represent only a marginal issue for them.

kevin.
Old 03-01-2005, 10:45 AM
Christer
Race Car

They are cheaper in the UK because the steering wheel is on the wrong side of the car.
Old 03-01-2005, 10:49 AM
DaveK
Race Car

I did wonder if anyone would mention that.

Isn't it usually the case that in a LHD country, LHD cars cost more than RHD cars and in a RHD country RHD cars cost more than LHD? (Japan would possibly be an exception).
Old 03-01-2005, 01:39 PM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Dear Kevin,
The bulkheads are identical. Only the front one has holes cut on the opposite side anyway.
This is done not in the production line but in the "body in white" section of the plant which few people ever see.
The bulkheads have the cutout areas stamped into both sides and the cutting machine just goes to where the tag on the car tells it go to.
Porsche did all this when they re-tooled for the 964 under Japanese guidance.

Dear Dave,
Japan have RHD and LHD Porsches. You can order both from the factory (different country codes used just like the UK used to have) and most Japanese order LHD. Very few RHD Porsches in Japan.
Ciao,
Adrian.

Quick Reply: Is LHD so bad?