Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear tail- does it move up based on engine/oil temp in addition to speed of car?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2003, 03:13 PM
andrew911
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post Rear tail- does it move up based on engine/oil temp in addition to speed of car?

I have a quick question. Does the rear tail of the car go up if the engine/engine oil gets on the warm side, say if you were driving in stop and go traffic in the summer, or driving on a hot day with A/C on and never hitting 50mph? I'm just curious, as I can't see the tail when I'm driving If it's not automatic, then I guess I could open the tail manually with the interior switch if I'm sitting in traffic to help the circulation and heat dissipation under the hood (or "bonnet" as some call it ).

Andrew
Old 04-30-2003, 03:26 PM
John Boggiano
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

No.

I can just see the tip of the spoiler when it's up, in the mirror.
Old 04-30-2003, 03:32 PM
Andy Roe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
The spoiler comes up at ~50mph & goes down again at 6mph.

On MY1990 and onwards, you can raise the spoiler manually using the switch near the gear stick. It is recommended that you raise it when stuck in traffic to aid cooling.

If the spoiler did not raise at 50mph, you would most likely get the spoiler warning light on the dash.
Old 04-30-2003, 11:15 PM
andrew911
Three Wheelin'

I know my spoiler works and goes up at 50mph- I thought I read that it also could go up when the oil temp went up, but I must have been wrong. I'll put it up with the switch when I'm in traffic in the hot summer...

Andrew
Old 05-01-2003, 04:06 AM
warmfuzzies
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 10 Posts
I see mine come up when I hit 50mph, I also notice a small click under the LHS dash which I presumed to be a relay pulling in. It also goes down by itself @6mph. I tend to raise mine and keep it raised if the engine is hot and the day is warm.

Kevin
Old 05-01-2003, 05:25 AM
johnfm
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Andrew

I reckon the bulk of engine cooling is done by the oil and oil cooler. Even in stop go traffic, with the cooler fan on full you should not see high temps. I doubt the engineers at porsche would depend on a tail being up or down for engine coling. Lifting the tail will make very little difference to temps I think.
Old 05-01-2003, 06:58 AM
Riccardo
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Agree with you John, I think that raising the spoiler might be beneficial but certainly not crucial and probably make no difference at all in real terms. For instance, removing the underpan will certainly have a greater effect.
Old 05-02-2003, 06:52 AM
Christer
Race Car

It will certainly make no difference to the oil temp, but I guess in stationary traffic it will allow some of the heat in the engine bay to escape which I would suggest is a good thing.

Quick Reply: Rear tail- does it move up based on engine/oil temp in addition to speed of car?