MOT in uk

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2005, 11:54 AM
gilessav
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MOT in uk

Hi Guys,

Got my MOT test coming up this weekend and was wandering if anyone had had any issues with running a secondary muffler bypass (g-pipe) with emmissions. I assume as the CAT is still in place that it should'nt affect it. Apart from replacing the wiper blades the car should be ok i hope as it had a 24k service just 800 miles ago. Any other advice from UK rennlisters on preparing it for MOT? On another note i managed to get my insurance quote down from £800 to £325 on a limited mileage policy for this year so i'm hoping the MOT will be a smooth ride and i'm quids in
Old 02-10-2005, 04:10 PM
Computamedic
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Giles,

The G-pipe has no effect on emissions whatsoever - only sound.

I think I recall from your PCGB posts that you have a LHD car - one small thing I got caught on last month at my car's MOT was that the person who prepared it after import from Germany changed the lenses in the headlights for RHD lenses which had passed previous MOTs but I believe there has been a recent change to the MOT rules and that, apparently, is no longer acceptable. I had to buy 2 new complete headlamp units to pass the test!!! Ouch!!!

I have also heard of some people getting away with sticking the black beam modifiers on the lenses to overcome the problem. That's now outlawed too!!!

In case you're wondering, the RHD headlights have different reflectors as well as different lenses and without the correct reflectors (i.e the original LHD ones) the beam pattern is wrong - hence an immediate fail!!!

I'm sure there are plenty of "questionable" MOT testers out there who WOULD pass it with the LHD lights - but it's worth being prepared.

Regards

Dave
Old 02-11-2005, 06:53 AM
Christer
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Which year is your car?
Old 02-12-2005, 09:51 AM
gilessav
Advanced

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the advice etc. The car is a 92 manufactured LHD. Just passed its MOT today and the headlight beams were mentioned by the tester who said he could 'just' pass it. Not sure which type of lenses i have. He also thought the rear fog light was broken but worked out you had to have the front fogs on too!! He seemed to know alittle about Porsches and had just bought an S2 as a daily runabout so was perhaps sympathetic. Panic over now the MOT and insurance is sorted
Old 02-13-2005, 08:07 AM
C4-JohnO
Racer

interesting about the lenses Dave.

I bought and import bike yesterday, It shows MPH on the clocks but I thought the lights would just be a simple bulb change. If I had know about the reflector I may have given them a hard time on the costs.

Quick Reply: MOT in uk