Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wheel refurb in UK - any recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2005, 09:01 AM
DaveK
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Wheel refurb in UK - any recommendations?

I'm sure I asked this several years ago - but did search and can't find the answer.

I think it's time I got my wheels refurbed. Has anyone had this done, and do you have any recommendations?

Incidentally - I blame the need for this on the last meet up we had.
It was there that it became very obvious I really needed new clear indicators.
So I bought them.
It was then obvious (as someone said it would be) that I needed new reflectors.
So I ordered them this morning.
My fog light has been cracked for a while, and there was no point having new indicators, new reflectors and a cracked fog light.
So I ordered that this morning as well.
And since I was ordering anyway, I thought I may as well have a new washer pump for the intensive washer - 'cos even though I never use it, I know it's broken.
And since I've done all that, I now feel I'm on a roll and may as well get the wheels refurbed as well.

So I reckon the last meet has cost me £235 so far for indicators etc. plus the cost of the wheels - which I assume will be somewhere around £250.

Meeting other 964 owners is expensive!
Old 02-08-2005, 09:16 AM
IanR
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dave,

I've used Pristine Wheels near Milton Keynes (01908 282 628) in the past - did a really good job on some Cup 1s. I've got another set that need a refurb, and I'll probably go back there.
Old 02-08-2005, 09:26 AM
DaveK
Race Car

Since you're also in Surrey - what did you do - mail them there?
Old 02-08-2005, 09:46 AM
Computamedic
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd second Ian's suggestion. Pristine ARE brilliant - I've had several wheels done there. They will take 3 days or so and I've usually left the car there - but then I live in MK.

Dave, if I were you, I'd give them a ring and see what they suggest. They may have special deal swith couriers that might be beneficial.

Regards

Dave
Old 02-08-2005, 09:48 AM
DavidI
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Lepsons on 01634 580582 are reasonable - they collect and deliver and charge around £180 for 4 wheels. They've always beaten any price I've given them for tyres too, and balance the wheels on the inside....

Only caveat is they tend to use too much paint - I think they acid dip and then spray, but they must put more paint on than original; the width and offset stamps tend to look blurred! I'm very happy with them for the price and convenience.
Attached Images   
Old 02-08-2005, 09:48 AM
Christer
Race Car

Dave, I don't think you should pay more than £40 per wheels unless they are really damaged.
Old 02-08-2005, 09:51 AM
Christer
Race Car

Obviously if you had a Fiesta with 16" wheels then you would expect to pay half.
Old 02-08-2005, 10:01 AM
DaveK
Race Car

Obviously if you had a Fiesta with 16" wheels then you would expect to pay half.

£40 is less than I would expect - but they are quite scuffed. I was assuming about £45 - but plus vat, so over £50 per wheel.

I think I prefer "Pristine ARE brilliant" to "Lepsons are reasonable" - so I'll give Pristine a call now. This is probably the time I wish I had tyres on my old D90s - but I guess if it's just sitting in the garage I can wack the D90s on without tyres anyway.
Old 02-08-2005, 10:05 AM
DaveK
Race Car

OK - Pristine are £48 per wheel plus vat. Extra if they have heavy damage (from potholes etc) but don't think I have that problem.
Takes about 3 days and they will collect - and that's included in the price.

Think I'll be taking my wheels off at the weekend.
Old 02-08-2005, 12:18 PM
Christer
Race Car

so your car will look better for a short while....
Old 02-08-2005, 02:12 PM
DaveK
Race Car

That's just cruel.

With D90s and no tyres I think it might look slightly silly..........
Old 02-09-2005, 07:26 AM
DaveK
Race Car

This will make you think when you order your brand new 997 and are choosing the options :

I asked a guy I work with about wheel refurbs because I knew he'd had it done but while we were talking about it he told me something else. When he bought his car (Merc - second hand, but almost new) he got a deal where he could upgrade the wheels at cost price. There were 3 wheel options - the originals (which were the basic wheels), option 2 and option 3. The wheels were roughly £100 each for the basic ones and there was only £5 difference per wheel between options 1 & 2, and another £5 per wheel between options 2 & 3.

Here's the scary bit - if you wanted those wheels as options when you buy the car new, there is an £850 difference between options 1 & 2 - and a massive £2500 between options 2 & 3!

Ever wondered where car dealers make their money?????
Old 03-10-2009, 10:33 AM
gchristofi
Racer

Apologies for dragging up such an old thread but................... have prices really gone up so much over the years? Just spoke with Pristine and for a straight refurb to my 17" Cup 2s (or whatever the correct nomenclature is!?) was quoted £80.50 plus VAT (£92.50) a corner! Any significant repairs required would be additional. Wasn't expecting that.
Old 03-10-2009, 10:56 AM
robmug
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I had my GT3 wheels done at Lepson's (Gillingham). Left the car there for 3 days and they did a brilliant job. Stripped back to alloy, powdercoated a base coat then paint and lacquer (inluding the inside of the rim). Their prices depend on the size of the wheel, and whether you take bare wheels or leave the car there with the wheels and tyres on (which I did). Mine were £280 plus vat (18" wheels, left on the car).
Old 03-10-2009, 11:35 AM
Bluey964
Rennlist Member

I just had mine done by Wheelworx in Colchester down the road from me. Genuine Cup 1's which were in reasonable condition ended up being £60 plus VAT per wheel. Nice job, poss slightly too much paint as blurred the offset by the wheel but that is being a bit picky. Done a proper job stripping them back, powdercoating, painting and high quality lacquer. Thing that swung it for me was that they do the work for the main Ferrari and Porsche dealers down the road so are used to good quality wheels. This price also included fitting and balancing new tyres which I supplied.

Quick Reply: Wheel refurb in UK - any recommendations?