Coil overs / Best price.

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2002, 08:21 PM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 47 Posts
Post Coil overs / Best price.

I have decided to go ahead and upgrade to the coil overs rather than lower with H&R or Eibach springs only. My question is, where is the best and/or cheapest place to buy them? "Best" meaning Rennlist supporter, best at advice on set up/installation questions and courtesy. "Cheapest" meaning , well cheapest. Thanks in advance.
Old 08-22-2002, 01:17 AM
joey bagadonuts
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Best vendor, IMO, is Pelican Parts. It's not just their prices, but the packaging, communication and follow up--it's first rate. Their selection in coilovers, however, is not great.

Cheapest: eBay! If you want to save money and are not afraid of a little risk, that's where you will find some smokin' deals. Caveat emptor.

The Racers Group has some great stuff, but I don't believe they provide much in the form of an online or conventional catalog. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. You'll have to call them, but I doubt you'll be disappointed.

The other online guys are fine; I've really had no bad experiences so I can't warn you against anyone.

It might be helpful if you clarified exactly what item you plan to purchase.
Old 08-22-2002, 07:17 AM
Jeff Curtis
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Curious as to why you would want to go to the true coilover type shocks/springs?? Are you going to race your C2?? If not, I would seriously SWAY you back to the Eibach/H&R spring and sport shock setup.

That's all I have and I kick butt on the track ALL weekend.

If you do a lot of street driving, a true race/high-performance coilover setup will leave you searching for a Dentist...trust me.

I drive my car to work several times a week, get groceries, run errands, etc. - even have taken on 18 track events in the 14 months that I've owned my 964 and I find my H&R 965 springs and Bilstein HD shocks to be quite right!

My "track buddies" don't like them though.
Old 08-22-2002, 07:59 AM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Talking

I totally agree with Jeff here. Coil overs are very expensive and are of little value for road use.
A sports set up is good enough.
Eibach/Koni (me)
H&R (Bruno Eichmann)
H&R/Bilstein (Jeff Curtis)
Eibach/Bilstein
964 RS (Bill Gregory)
To contact the racers group go to
<a href="http://www.theracersgroup.com" target="_blank">www.theracersgroup.com</a> tell them Rennlist sent you,
Ciao,
Adrian
911C4
Old 08-22-2002, 11:34 AM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 47 Posts
Thanks for your comments. I guess I should not have used terms of art and been more descriptive instead. I do not want the full blown coil overs. On my 993, I used H&R sport springs with the stock shocks. I was not real happy with that particular set up as far as performance but really liked the lowered look.
This time I want to do it right and buy a set of sport shocks/springs. I think I might prefer adjustable shocks as I use the car as my daily driver with 4 or 5 track events mixed in. However, adjustments would just be one more thing to tinker with which is not necessarily good for me. I should also point out that I have an early C4 which I believe may limit my selection.

I have read good things about the Bilstein HD's either here or on the 993 board.
Old 08-22-2002, 12:00 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
John,

I'm planning to do Bilsteid HD's & H&R set up to mu 993.

At 993 forum, there has been plenty of discussion about Bilsteins (they're good!) and other set ups. p-car.com has also lots of good information about suspension (993 though).
Old 08-22-2002, 02:07 PM
Bluey964
Rennlist Member

Bit of a strange reply but is it possible to fit better shocks (i.e. Bilsteins or Eibachs) with standard springs? Reason is my shocks on my cab are now getting "tired" and will replace them in the near future but don't want to lower it or make the ride more harsh.

Rather than replacing with standard Boges I thought that adding better adjustable shocks for not much money more may be a good idea.
Old 08-22-2002, 03:51 PM
sullivs
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts
Jeff and Adrian,

Would you mind sharing with us which model number or shock/spring set-up you purchased? I have noticed that several vendors sell what I think are the same set-up, but identify them by different model names or numbers. That adds to the confusion. Most 964 owners I meet that want to lower their car are doing it for the same reason... tighter, sportier response, and will run a few track events each year. However, they will still drive it all over town.

Thanks,
Steve
Old 08-23-2002, 03:30 AM
Jeff Curtis
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Steve - the part #s are available on <a href="http://www.shox.com" target="_blank">www.shox.com</a> - look for your year make and model and you will find the Bilstein "HD" part #s.

Sorry, I'm on a server at work where it's hard to bounce back and forth, "cut and pasting" the part#s.

Iain, as far as using the Bilstein "HD" shocks with factory springs on your C4...I don't see any negative issues with that - you will have a bit of a "sportier" feel due to the increased dampening...which you might just like?
Old 08-23-2002, 09:04 AM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Talking

Dear Iain,
Upgrading shocks and struts and using original springs is fine and an excellent idea if you want a little stiffer ride at standard ride height.
Dear Steve,
EIBACH 964 RS Competition Springs. Ask for these and you should get what I have. I cannot remember the exact vendor part number of the top of my head.
However I can the KONIs,
Front struts 8741-1216S (LH and RH)
Rear shocks 8241-1104S (for 1989 and pre Nov 1990 builds only)
Ciao,
Adrian
911C4
Old 08-23-2002, 01:38 PM
joey bagadonuts
Addict
Rennlist Member

Iaine,

Just a thought. Why do you think your SHOCKS need replacement? I recommend that you confirm that that is the issue.

First of all, shocks are MORE expensive to replace than springs. Secondly, if you misdiagnose, then you're looking at another hefty bill to correct the problem. Finally, you should not rule out springs due to possible ride quality. I replaced mine with Eibachs and the ride is exponentially better. Sure, they're shorter springs but the lowering effect can be minimized by raising the spring perches.

The reason I ask is that it's difficult, IMHO, to determine if shocks need replacement. They simply dampen the spring travel. Are sure it's not the SPRINGS which need replacement? The stock springs are very stiff in front and way too soft in back and new shocks will not correct these deficiencies.
Old 08-23-2002, 02:34 PM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 59 Likes on 23 Posts
I agree with FF, on the 993 forum many of us have changed our suspension to coilovers from the Euro M030 components to Bilstein PSS-9 system all with very positive remarks. I bought my upgrade from Gert who is a rennlist sponsor and the cheapest around. Looking at his site I saw that for your 964 the only coilover system posted there is the H&R coilover. I'm among the few 993 listers that have gone that route instead of the popular PSS-9 system and I can tell you that the H&R coilover kit has surpased all my expectations.On the street it is firm but the road imperfections are actually absorbed better than my old stock and on the track the system is light years ahead from the stock setup. I used to have my rear bounce all over the place, a lot of movement from the suspension. Now the car is planted, it feels like one piece and a joy to take to the limit. Not to mention that the system allows for full corner,weight balance and height adjustment. I ajusted mine about 1.1/2 inch lower than stock US height which improved the looks trementously.
The H&R system is custom made H&R's with custom made Bilsteins. I added the Euro M030 sway bars and I'm a really happy camper! I give a big thumbs up for this system and gert's prices.

<a href="http://www.carnewal.com" target="_blank">www.carnewal.com</a>

Good luck!
Old 08-26-2002, 05:23 PM
Saint-Vieux
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb

Hey John;

Not sure if this is 2late, but not much of diff in price bet a set of coilover as a kit,and other set of suspensions.

For instance, I got my H&R Coilover stage4 from <a href="http://www.carnewal.com" target="_blank">www.carnewal.com</a> for about $1500 including shipping, and they're nice and th3 stiffness of the ride is sporty instead of hard as some peoples will call it.

You will have to set and pick your ride height by doing a variation of number of adjustment, that will take about a week or so.

PS: If you're using 17" wheel, please carry out the steering stops, as well as check for the size of your sway bars, and Adrian can tell you more about, diff bet. c2 and c4 weight ratio..

Quick Reply: Coil overs / Best price.