Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cleaning out the intake system...

Old 11-07-2004, 10:28 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 557 Likes on 424 Posts
Red face cleaning out the intake system...

Today I got well over my dosage of carburetor cleaner inhalation! I removed the Air Flow meter and found the boot to be lined with black gook. The AF meter itself was not very dirty, but the boot is where all the oil overflow tubes come in to the intake system. Someone at some point in time must have overfilled the engine oil because the intake system was a mess. So, I decided to attack the intake system - it was a very easy disassembly.

The rubber boot was easily removed by loosening the hose-clamps, and all the oil breather hoses were easily removed as well. Then the throttle body was removed with out much difficulty - 4 allen head bolts removed. Lots of plugs and vacuum lines were removed, and the throttle body came out with ease. The hardest part of the removal process was removing the bracket that holds the fuel pressure regulator. I didn't want to undo the fuel lines - breathed enough toxic vapors for one day. By removing the 5 phillips head screws, you can remove the bracket that holds the vacuum solenoid for the intake plenum valve and the fuel pressure regulator. Once that's off - you can remove one leg of the manifold, then the other, then remove the center portion off that bracket holding the solenoid and the fuel pressure regulator.

I scrubbed everything clean - it was filthy in side the entire intake segment from the rubber boot to the end of the plastic manifold. Yuck - it was oily sand stuff in there. But, now it's clean.

I thought you guys who have, or may have overfilled your oil, may want to clean the intake. I wonder how much the performance is degraded by having a oil and dirt lined manifold! Plus, with all that crud in there, the intake extender valve flap (not sure what this is called - have a mind blank) easily gets stuck. Cleaning it all out ensures its proper function.

Here are some cleaned up pics (couldn't find my camera to take pics of when it was dirty!!)...
Attached Images     
Old 11-07-2004, 10:47 PM
Dunasso
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

More pics please. Do you have any of the grime you've cleaned out. It's been quite some time sence I overfilled the oiltank, but it was done the first couple of times I changed my oil. With that said, I'm sure my engine needs the same scrubbing you gave yours. Also let us know of any improvement after you get it back together.
Old 11-08-2004, 01:40 AM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Default Resonance Flap!!!! Resonance Flap!!!!

I forgot what that thing was called - just took a little dinner for me to remember!
It was surprising how un-precise (or is it imprecise) the fitting of the resonance flap is in its chamber. If it is firmly locked in the closed position - it's hard for it to unlatch! I hope that little vacuum servo is powerful! I cleaned the heck out of it and lubed it so it would be as easy to move as possible. Don't want any high RPM problems!!!

I remember reading that the flap is cycled when the ignition is turned on to "unlock" it if it gets stuck - but it seems the valve is opened only with vacuum meaning the engine would have to be running. Hmmm, maybe it does one cycle after startup - or it saves up vacuum from a previous running condition - or the little solenoid activates it by creating a vacuum. That might be how it works.
Old 11-08-2004, 12:59 PM
bhensarl
Jarhead
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How's she running now that she's all spic and span, Garrett?
Brian
Old 11-08-2004, 01:17 PM
Youcef
Addict
Rennlist Member

Garrett, You have gone this far you should serio0usly consider having the injectors refurbished. It is simple enough now as you have most of the problems removed, just get the fuel rails out of the way and remove each seperate intake neck with the injector in place and remove the injectors on the bench. You will only have to replace the gasket bettween the cyclinder and the intake neck. I did mine at the same time I cleaned the resonance valve and intake assy also.

Youcef
Old 11-08-2004, 01:24 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bhensarl
How's she running now that she's all spic and span, Garrett?
Brian

It's in way too many pieces to even think of starting it at this time!

Youcef, that would be a good idea - I did put everthing back last night, though! Now that I know how easy it is, I can go at it when it's really needed if it runs poorly at some point - although it did run great before I undid everything!
Old 11-08-2004, 01:44 PM
Youcef
Addict
Rennlist Member

Ddi you find a whole bunch of gunk against the resonce flap? I did, in fact I was amazed at what I found in there!
Old 11-21-2004, 02:22 AM
Dunasso
Burning Brakes

I'm disturbed to see that this thread went dead so soon. I'm in hope that it will be resurected by this reply. I for one, am very curious as to the out come of the project. This I think could be of great benefit to all if it yields a reward. Duncan
Old 11-21-2004, 02:28 AM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Hi Duncan, thanks for bringing it back to my (our) attention!

I didn't do a very good experiment as I didn't really get a chance to test it "before and after" with no other changes to the car. All I can say, is that the car goes like stink! Even though the engine has 40,000 more miles than my cabrio, this car goes much, much quicker.

On the reliability side, it starts up without ANY hesitation, time after time. A couple times before the cleaning it would idle rough, or even require two time to start. No longer! Fires up with a great smooth idle. And even when I almost stall it (which happened may times trying to get the car on the weight scales) it holds its idle - holds it better than the cabrio which I actually did stall twice!
Old 04-07-2005, 04:35 AM
bhensarl
Jarhead
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Garrett,
Just wondering if you can remember: do you think you had any access to the power steering pump with all that stuff removed? I'm wondering if that might not be a good way to go to check/change the belt?
Brian
Old 04-11-2005, 01:24 AM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Hey Brian, it will definitly help to have all that stuff out of the way... I have not done the PS belt change so I am not sure... but it should help
Old 04-11-2005, 07:45 AM
springer3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by garrett376
I remember reading that the flap is cycled when the ignition is turned on to "unlock" it if it gets stuck - but it seems the valve is opened only with vacuum meaning the engine would have to be running. Hmmm, maybe it does one cycle after startup - or it saves up vacuum from a previous running condition - or the little solenoid activates it by creating a vacuum. That might be how it works.
Garrett: I am not sure, but if you operate the resonance flap using the hammer, it will cycle until you cancel the command. I don't hear the flapping decay as vacuum is depleted, which means your theory that the solenoid creates its own vacuum is correct, or there is an electric vacuum pump to supplement the engine vacuum for vacuum-operated accessories.

My resonacne flap sounds nice and free when I cycle it. Hopefully my intake is not too gummed up. We are planning to move, and projects are going to have to wait until we get into the new place.
Old 04-11-2005, 05:14 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Springer,
Behind your air filter there is a black capsule that stores vacuum.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: cleaning out the intake system...