Sponsored by:

Fellow in 997 wanted to play...

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2004, 04:27 PM
C4TT
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Fellow in 997 wanted to play...

While cruising in the slow lane on my way home in light traffic, I noticed a set of unique HID lights come flying up on my tail. It was dark out, and I could not make out what type of car it was... At first I thought it was a Mini Cooper because of the way the round HID lights appeared...
This car was really on my **** at this point. I slowed down to about 40mph for a notorious steel plate on the road in a construction zone. Once clear of all obstacles, I took off without too much haste, but enough to make my aggressive pursuer follow suit.

A split second later, the mysterious silhouette emerged, and "parked" itself in the center lane next to me... It was a brand new 997 Carrera S. The driver and his woman, smiled amicably as in to show respect to the older generation turtle... I of course had a look of mischief on my face, as I calmly reached down to access the HI BOOST button. This guy wanted to show off his new toy to his lady…

We drove side by side for a bit till traffic cleared. At one point he fell behind, and hid in my blind spot.... Suddenly without warning, I heard the roar of new motor rip by me with furious anger... The car sounds amazing, and it seemed louder than the 2003 C4S I played with recently…

The moment I heard the 997 launch, I got on the gas, but like any turbo car, the boost required a second to make its stage appearance. As he passed me at WOT, I had already gone from 60 to about 80mph with the massive surge of 17 psi of boost... Since he had a running start(cheater), it took a few moments to even the playing field.
Once he passed, he got in front of me to show dominance, but I was already matching and besting his speed. An instant later, I was on his back side like male turtle looking to mount an unwilling female tortoise.. Escape was futile!

He must have wondered what was going on...
We both slowed for a few cars, but went at it again, this time with a more synchronized launch... It wasn’t even close. But I can say that despite being able to put an easy 10 cars on him, the 997s are clearly as fast if not faster than the older generation turbo Pcars... Can't imagine what the 997 TT will do!

As I exited the highway, he and I exchanged a friendly wave... Nice car, and a good guy...

Cheers,

Greg
Old 10-28-2004, 08:28 PM
darth
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Greg

Have you ever considered writing for a career!

Very entertaining antidote.

Bill
90C2
Old 10-28-2004, 08:51 PM
bhensarl
Jarhead
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You should see the smile on my face.
Between your comment about horny turtles and the thought of him explaining to his lady friend why his new $100k car just got smoked by one 14 years younger, I think that's a great little story. Thanks for sharing, Greg.
Brian
Old 10-28-2004, 09:02 PM
John Miles
Pro

Turns out that Jeremy Clarkson likes it...well the S anyway. Check out Top Gear's review here: http://homepage.mac.com/john.miles/c...eTheater4.html
Reminder: this is a Brit BBC TV prog - switch on Brit sarcasm/cynicism filter.
Cheers,
John
Old 10-28-2004, 11:08 PM
bron964
Racer

on terrible days like today (i.e. 14 hour workday which included being rear-ended by a Ford Econoline van, luckily NOT in the 964, but in my Jeep instead), it is always a pleasure to be able to read another witty, highly descriptive tale of your sleeper surprising an unsuspecting driver...classic.

as with Brian, i wish you could see the smile on my face...thanks for that
Old 10-29-2004, 05:10 AM
R32and964
AutoX

Excuse me C4TT, I am sure that you get this a lot, but can you email me with some information on your beautifully constructed machine. I would just like to know what you have done, how you went about it, and how much it cost you. My email is Brad@601.com, and I appreciate your help tremendously.
Old 10-29-2004, 05:31 AM
Greg_L
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

I always enjoy your stories Greg, keep em coming
ps. nice avatar .
Old 10-29-2004, 01:14 PM
C4TT
Pro

Guys the comments are too kind...
I just get so caught up in expressing the sensations I experienced behind the wheel of my car.
I wish words could express the sensation of hitting boost at 4000rpms, and being completely mashed into the seat. Then watching the speedo needle move as fast as the tach needle, all while you hear this loud wooshing sound like a 935 turbo would make...

R32and964,
Here is the link for my car which is potentially on it's way out. Not sure yet... This is not a sales pitch, just the only place I have data for you to look at...
http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...or=&cardist=18
Old 10-29-2004, 01:21 PM
964porschedude
Intermediate

Well Done!
Old 10-29-2004, 03:16 PM
John Boggiano
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 10-29-2004, 04:47 PM
JEJ 149
Advanced

There are only a few things in life that make you grin stupidly when you do them - and this is obviously one. I would love to have been there.....!!

J
Old 10-31-2004, 07:59 AM
GT9111
Burning Brakes

Nice story write-up, more vivid than some authors in car mags!
Old 11-01-2004, 11:12 AM
C4TT
Pro

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by GT9111
Nice story write-up, more vivid than some authors in car mags!
That might be pushing it, but thank you!!!

I recal reading a writeup on the Ferrari 360 Modena, and almost feeling the experience... I later got to drive the car on several occasions, and almost felt familiar because the author had captured the essence of the car in his writeup.
Old 11-25-2004, 08:32 PM
sydney911
Instructor

hey C4TT,
Awesome story mate! i just got my 1992 C2 and never thought of it being anything but stock standard original....till i read your story! would i be able to do something similar with my C2?
i really don't have the money right now as i've only bought the car less than a month ago but i was just wondering....
i'd appreciate any suggestions.
cheers
Alan
Old 11-25-2004, 08:48 PM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Received 903 Likes on 532 Posts

Holy cow. Been away for a while and just saw your avitar picture. Is that doctored? Incredible if not doctored.

RE: Sound

The 997 S sounds very different. I had one cranked up inside a showroom for my listening pleasure. It had already been sold or I would have taken it for a test drive. The car sounded like something was broke at idle as it kind of had a raspy sounding rattle to it. I am sure it sounds amazing though in the upper RPMs.

Quick Reply: Fellow in 997 wanted to play...