Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How long do you want to keep the 964.....?

Old 10-14-2004, 03:08 AM
Arjan B.
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How long do you want to keep the 964.....?

Hi everyone!

May be a good question for all of us, and interesting to know for all of us.

How long do you plan to keep your 964 before switching to a different modell, or may be you don't wanna switch at all.

For myself, I had the stupid idea to sell it a few months back and buy a younger 964 or 964 RS......

We are over that now, so I think we keep the car as long we have fun with it, and that could be for years and years............
Old 10-14-2004, 03:18 AM
martinreinhardt
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am planning on keeping my 964 at least another 5 years and buying a 2nd one to use as daily driver until I can affort a GT3 RS. :smile:
Old 10-14-2004, 03:21 AM
phayze one
Intermediate

Well, considering I just got it, I hope for at least 5 years By then I'll be too attached to it to sell, and then I'll just keep adding to my collection.
Old 10-14-2004, 03:24 AM
emilios
Burning Brakes

Definitely keeping it Arjan, anything else I purchase when funds allow, will have to live alongside my 964.

Best regards

Emilios
Old 10-14-2004, 03:53 AM
NotTwinTurboYet
Racer

That's a very good question!
I bought a 964 with the plan to modify it, and each time I modify the car, it's really like if it was a new one! When I put the 18" wheels, it was a good improvement of the look. When I put the bilstein sport suspensions, it was not the same car! And again same story when I bought the RS sway-bars, the big red brakes, the new exhaust...
However it is an old car, and take care of it cost a lot when you can't bear seing even the smallest oil leak of the world
BTW, some couple of months ago, I made the calculation, what does my 964 cost to me per month? The result was a big surprise. I went to the Porsche shop and ask the reseller "what could I afford for that price"? Do you know the answer? A GT3...

But, I still have the 964... is it love? In fact, no! I like to modify a car, and the Porsche are the greatest cars to modify, there are so many possibilities! But, then, it's always the same problem, I'll lose most of the investments I'm doing in that car, and more than that, I'm sure I would have some difficulties to sell it, what I like is not what the others like... Therefore, I could afford a GT3, ok, but would not be able to modify it (no more money). Some of you will tell me, "you don't have to modify a GT3". True and not true, there's always something to improve, even on a GT2, and that's what I would like to do... but for sure, I would have to put all my money to own a GT3, and then would not be able to buy even a set of P zero Corsa tyres!

As a conclusion, I have to say that I love the 964, and if I would go for another one, it would the one below. It's a 964 30th anniversary with a 3.8L engine owned by my mechanic. I'm very patient and will wait for him to sell it!
BTW, I'm still in the process of continuous improvements on my car. I still have to lighten it, modify to engine and gearbox, modify the drive-train with RS parts, and put a turbo look! That represents again some years of improvements and investments

A+
Old 10-14-2004, 04:52 AM
John Boggiano
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Good question, again, Arjan.

I've had mine since 1994 and have gone through a couple of phases where I might have sold it, if only I could have found something to offer a similar range of pleasures. I couldn't, so I didn't.

Now, I think I'll just keep it forever and let other cars come and go. I had an Elise for a year alongside the 964, and now I'm thinking of recapturing my youth with a Fiat X1/9 which I had many years ago, but the 964 will stay.
Old 10-14-2004, 05:02 AM
Christer
Race Car

Considering the 'investment' in my car, I better keep it for the mext 10 years at least! Like JB, I have driven many cars before I got the 964 around 3 years ago, and many since and this is the one that floats my boat. Of course, the car isn't really a lot like the car I bought 3 years ago...but thats a good thing in my book!
Old 10-14-2004, 05:29 AM
tonytaylor
Burning Brakes

I don't see myself selling mine anytime soon as long as I'm still doing trackdays as there's nothing else I really fancy.
Antwat you don't have to change the car all at once you can do it one part at a time.
Old 10-14-2004, 05:52 AM
Wikkid911
Remarkable
Rennlist Member

I hope to never sell mine. My daughter has her eye on it when i'm finished with it. Hopefully it will work out like that.
Old 10-14-2004, 06:37 AM
jenskleis
Rennlist Member

Dear all,

Greetings from Rome, where I'm enjoying a week of autumn sunshine and amazing food. By chance I found this Internet cafe, and immediately went in to see what you dear Rennlisters have been upto since I left last Saturday.

Anyway, Arjan, very good question. As I have only had my 964 since June this year, I suppose it will stay with me for another 2-3 years. I love the car, and would hate to see it go. Actually, the only viable substitute would be a 993 C4 (IMHO the most desirable Porshe ever made).

Take care
Old 10-14-2004, 07:03 AM
Rob W.
Instructor

Great thread Arjan..!

I'm going through the shall I, shan't I at the moment. I'm doing more mileage than ever (on target for 30k this year) and I'm missing the creature comforts of a more modern car a little. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the 964 and everything it brings to the driving experience, but when you are sat in traffic in South London on a wet Monday morning.........! I've done over 60k miles in it now (with a big smile most of the time) and the bills are becoming more frequent - the starter motor is the latest casualty. I figured when do I stop investing? If I cut down on the mileage - will it cost me less? (probably not!)

I couldn't possibly go back to a run-of-the-mill daily driver now, so I figured I may try to get a high mileage 996 (no point buying low mileage - which would be shortlived) and keep the 964 for track days and Sunday afternoon blasts - but I'm struggling to justify it with 'her that must be obeyed'. I have always thought that I would keep the 964 for ever - but it's a little decadent two have two of Dr Porsche's finest in the driveway.

Decisions, decisions.....
Old 10-14-2004, 07:27 AM
Andy Roe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Providing mine does not start giving me some major problems, I can't see me selling it. It's kind of nice to look forward to having kids sometime & have a classic porsche to drive them around in!!

Andy
Old 10-14-2004, 08:11 AM
Jim Howley
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Rob W.
it's a little decadent two have two of Dr Porsche's finest in the driveway.
Suggest you speak to Doug H for some advice on how to cope.
Old 10-14-2004, 08:58 AM
leosayer
Racer

I just don't get the chance to do enough miles in mine (about 2000 pa). Most recently I have been looking at joining the classic car club which has all manner of e-types, astons, ferraris, a couple of porsches, audi quattro, maserati etc etc (but no 964) which you can hire for long weekends. My current plan is to sell the 964 some time next year to finance this.

It will be hard to let it go - it's by far the best drive I've ever had but I can always go back later.
Old 10-14-2004, 08:59 AM
springer3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 16 Posts

I have no plans to sell, but almost everything is for sale at the right price.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How long do you want to keep the 964.....?