Transmission problem ...4th gear

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2004, 04:47 PM
mmasse
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Transmission problem ...4th gear

Hello to everyone,

Yesterday, after a (very) bad downshifting to 4th gear. I started having problem with the 4th gear . it doesn't matter if I shift from 3rd to 4th, or 5th to 4th, I get an horrible grinding sound. Even if I try to put the 4th gear with the car idling, I get the same noise.

That this means I broke the 4th gear? Does this requires a transmission rebuilt? How expensive could this be? ..or had difficult for a DIY. Unfortunatelly, transmission is the only part in the car in which I consider myself a complete ignorant. But, this could be a good chance to learn!!!

Thanks in advance for your help.

Cheers,

Mario
Old 09-27-2004, 04:55 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 562 Likes on 429 Posts

I'd say you trashed the synchronizer ring - unlikely you hurt the gear itself, especially 4th since the torque is less on that gear. Tranny's are pretty complex, and you need quite a few tools... whether you can do it yourself, just depends on your bravery level, brute strength, and tools! You can always remove the engine and tranny yourself and bring it to a shop if you get stuck - you'll save yourself the biggest part in the labor charges! Good luck!
Old 09-27-2004, 05:18 PM
Andy Roe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I too agree that you've probably shredded the synchro for 4th. If you got a C2, you only need to remove the gearbox. A decent mechanic should be able to take it out in an hour or so anyway. If it is just the synchro that's gone, the bill should not be too large, but you'd be wise not to drive it as this will risk further damage to the other gears.

Andy
Old 09-27-2004, 05:47 PM
mmasse
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Andy Roe
I too agree that you've probably shredded the synchro for 4th. If you got a C2, you only need to remove the gearbox. A decent mechanic should be able to take it out in an hour or so anyway. If it is just the synchro that's gone, the bill should not be too large, but you'd be wise not to drive it as this will risk further damage to the other gears.

Andy
Guys, thanks for you reply.

Actually, I have a C4, so I guess i will have to take the engine out too, right?

Garrett376, with the years, I found out that my bravery is proportionally inverse to my budget, so I guess i am very brave..

One question, changing the synch ring itself is a difficult task? Does it requires special tools? I am not afraid of the engine/transmission removal process, but after that, the transmision is an unknown field for me!!

Thanks again,
Old 09-28-2004, 03:25 AM
Arjan B.
Drifting

Yesterday, after a (very) bad downshifting to 4th gear. That was a pretty bad one then.........
Old 09-28-2004, 03:48 PM
mmasse
Rennlist Member

Not to say that it was not a donkey's downshifting, but actually I had problems with the 4th gear before. That last one just happend to the one finishing the damage I guess.

Quick Reply: Transmission problem ...4th gear