Power Windows - NOT Switches

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2004, 10:08 PM
964NewBloke
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Windows - NOT Switches

Hi,

Bit of a headache on this one. My power windows were working fine, but I decided to update the window switches (all 3) on my 1990 911 Cab C2.

1) The driver side switch works fine, BUT when I replaced the passenger window switch on the drivers side, problems started.

I turned on the ignition & immediately the passenger window lowered by itself (without me touching any switches).

2) The passenger side switch now has no effect on the window.

I manually raised the passenger window, and removed the switch from the driver side, and the window stays up. BUT as soon as I replace the passenger window switch on the driver side & turn the ignition on, the window automatically lowers itself again (with no buttons being pressed).

The motors are fine, I am assuming I screwed the wiring or shorted something out. the fuse #4 is fine (checked just in case), drivers side works fine.

Anyone had this?? Help Please??
Old 09-06-2004, 10:57 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 563 Likes on 430 Posts

How come your replaced your old, working switches? I'd put everything back with the original switches - if everything works just fine - then replace one at a time. Sounds like you may have a messed up switch.

Go one at a time - that way you can find out the bad one...
Old 09-06-2004, 11:21 PM
964NewBloke
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thought I was staying one step ahead. the driver side window switch was in bad shape, so I thought I would update them all at the same time. I learnt my lesson, if it aint broke, don't touch it!!!!

Looked at the switches 1 by 1, it looks like the passenger window switch on the driver side is the one that screws it up. I will look at the wiring.

I don't understand why the passener side switch is not working now. I thought the passenger switches use the same wiring system? Is that correct?
Old 09-06-2004, 11:25 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 563 Likes on 430 Posts

Originally Posted by 964NewBloke
I don't understand why the passener side switch is not working now.
The passenger side switch does not work even with the old switches in place?

The switches are all interchangeable - did you just get one bad one?

If not, you may have damaged the wiring pulling out the plugs... check the wires...

good luck!
Old 09-07-2004, 12:08 PM
craig001
Drifting

Received 67 Likes on 51 Posts

I just had a switch go bad myself. It was the passenger side switch. It would jam in place which caused the relay to overheat and go non-op. I lowered the driver window and then pulled that switch and put it on the passenger side. The passenger side window won't work unless both switches are ino place, I guess it wants both switches to complete the circuit. My 944 was the same way.

Now I just have to wait for the new switches to arrive. I ordered two to have a spare. The total was a shade over $45 delivered ($18.95/switch & $8.61 FedEx) from Car Parts Discount. The cheapest I found stock Porsche switches was $25 elsewhere. I didn't try Sunset Porsche though.

The switches got to me yesterday. Turns out that they are aftermarket and not Porsche (no 964 part # on side of switch). Feels solid, but prongs are aluminum (silver).

Last edited by craig001; 09-10-2004 at 08:47 AM. Reason: CRS

Quick Reply: Power Windows - NOT Switches