Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where is the clutch slave cylinder and how is it accessed?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2004, 04:15 PM
Rennen
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Where is the clutch slave cylinder and how is it accessed?

I want to bleed that while I've got the rear jacked up to bleed the rear brakes but I can't seem to find its location. P-car.com has some instructions for the 993 that has it located where it is accessible from the left/rear wheel well, but I can't see it in there anywhere.
Old 09-06-2004, 04:29 PM
Jeff Curtis
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Red, I suppose it's accessible through the left rear wheel well, somewhat, but I just access it from underneath the car...habit, I guess.

It is located on the left side of the bellhousing, opposite the starter, you will see a line that comes out of your tunnel (for the transmission and associated linkage) and attaches to the body at one point then it's rubber (just like the factory flexible brake lines) over to the slave cylinder.

There is a fitting, I believe it takes a 7mm wrench to open it (from memory, forgive me if I'm wrong on this one) and just make sure you have some windshield washer (or aquarium) tubing attached at the fitting and that line running into a spill container (I use a sports bottle with the tubing attached) or you'll have a BIG mess on your hands...arms...face...garage floor...you get the picture.

There's a little rubber protector cap on the aforementioned fitting, just like the fittings on your brake calipers, be sure to remove that and replace when finished.

FYI, quarters are a little "tight" up there, you might have to resort to "contortionist" (SP??) skills like that of a Circ Du Soleil performer to pull it off, but it's "doable" no doubt.

TIP: If you back the SIX bolts that hold your transmission mount out an inch or two, this provides a little more clearance to get up there...don't back 'em all the way out though, unless you have a jack supporting the tail-end of the trans...a little more clearance can be provided using that method though.
Old 09-06-2004, 04:34 PM
Rennen
Burning Brakes

LOL...I've been laying flat on my back under the car right in that area searching. I found the starter so I know I can find the damned bleeder for the clutch. I'll keep looking. D'oh!
Old 09-06-2004, 05:05 PM
viperbob
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Look up in the tunnel near the drivers side of the transmission. You will see a steel line coming from the front of the car that then connects to a rubber line. This line is the clutch line and you can follow it right up to the slave cylinder on top of the tranny.. It you follow it with your hand, you should then be able to feel a rubber cap on the tip of the bleeder screw. All you need is your 7 mm wrench and you will be in business after you remove the cap....
Old 09-06-2004, 05:07 PM
Jeff Curtis
Race Car

Yeah, just what HE said.
Old 09-06-2004, 05:35 PM
Rennen
Burning Brakes

Ok, I found it and started the bleeding. It seems like there is a LOT of air coming out of there though. Is this because I drained the brake system? Do I just keep at it until there's no more air? What a mess. Even though I've got a rubber tube, it's not long enough and with the air splattering out of there I'm getting brake fluid all over myself. :-|
Old 09-06-2004, 09:53 PM
Jeff Curtis
Race Car

Uh, did you say that you DRAINED the brake system?? If so, then you've definitely DRAINED the whole system by opening up your slave cylinder fitting!

If what you meant to say was that you bled your brakes and are now bleeding the slave cylinder...I'm a bit more relaxed now.

I neglected to inquire how you are bleeding your brakes, I don't recall you mentioning it earlier in the post...pressure bleeder, by pedal - or other??
Old 09-06-2004, 10:13 PM
Rennen
Burning Brakes

Yep, I drained everything because I changed out my OEM brake lines. I figured out that I also blew out the clutch slave cylinder because I didn't ahve enough fluid in the reservoir. Once I filled up the power bleeder with fluid and represurized it, then rebled the clutch slave, everything came back fine. Duh! I live and I learn. Thanks everyone who posted replies.
Old 09-07-2004, 03:03 AM
Arjan B.
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RedRS
I want to bleed that while I've got the rear jacked up to bleed the rear brakes but I can't seem to find its location. P-car.com has some instructions for the 993 that has it located where it is accessible from the left/rear wheel well, but I can't see it in there anywhere.

May be you should look thru my '100.000 miles service, do it yourself' topic from November '03. I heave plenty of pictures posted there.

Quick Reply: Where is the clutch slave cylinder and how is it accessed?