Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help! Replacing brake bits.

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2004, 04:57 PM
Jeff Curtis
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

...and ANOTHER thing, I gain from your first post that you're attempting to separate the rigid (steel) brake line from the flexible (rubber or stainless) line...there are a few good handy tips to follow when doing so:

1) USE BRAKE LINE WRENCHES!!! ...~$20 at Sears...yes, they're Metric.

2) DO NOT undo brake line fittings as you would a bolt, nut, etc. by using constant force, this often results in stripping the shoulders of the hex fitting!! ...instead, get your wrenches situated, then "SNAP" the fittings apart, this works more often than not - TRUST ME!

I have had years of frustrating brakeline/brakefitting experience, but the best two tips I've learned are listed above...and yes, the 2nd one was advice from a local mechanic, once he helped me CUT my brake fittings from the car because they were destroyed from not using tip#2.
Old 09-06-2004, 05:44 PM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by botoo
No.. You don't have to twist the sensor wires together if they are not damaged too much. They wear down and break the circuit. If the circuit is not broken, they don't sense a problem. If they have worn down so much that the circuit is broken, you may have to do that wire twisting. There is nothing in the pad itself that triggers the warning. Sensors are not expensive and can be bought readily.
Rich
The salient point being "if they are not broken"!!! RedRS says his ARE broken!

If you have old broken sensors, then Tom's method is best as there is nothing to tie back and it will save you the cost of a replacement part. (yup they may be only $7, but 4 of them, tax and shipping @ $40-50 a throw seems a waste IMO!

I cut mine an inch from the plug, stripped, soldered and wrapped heat shrink tubing around them and gave them a blast with my heat gun. Then placed the plug back in. The wires stick out less than 1/2" and there is nothing to tie back or have flapping around. Nice and neat!
Old 09-06-2004, 08:13 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 98 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Kahdmus
I cut mine an inch from the plug, stripped, soldered and wrapped heat shrink tubing around them and gave them a blast with my heat gun. Then placed the plug back in. The wires stick out less than 1/2" and there is nothing to tie back or have flapping around. Nice and neat!
This is exactly what I did with mine. If the sensors are not damaged, then you can just tie them back. The circuit needs to be closed or completed to avoid a brake light on the dash. Open circuit=brake warning light.

Having them tied back or shortened makes for really quick and easy pad changes
Old 09-06-2004, 09:56 PM
Jeff Curtis
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I will put in my vote for the Kahdmus/Chris method...mine were not inoperative, I just don't like them!

I change my pads about once every two months...I don't need no stinkin' sensor to tell me to!

Quick Reply: Help! Replacing brake bits.