Sponsored by:

cab top leak

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2004, 10:55 AM
BlackCab
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cab top leak

This isn't a completely new symptom but I'd say it's getting worse. My cab top is leaking on the driver's side from the top of the window onto my left arm and left side of the seat when it's raining. It's almost as if the window isn't rolled up all the way, but it definitely is. There is no obvious deformity in the seal or rubber around the top. It doesn't leak on the passenger side although just looking at both sides, they both appear to be in the same good condition.
I read jonscott's post about a cab top leak from earlier this year, but those guys seemed to have a leak in different place.
Anyone have any experience with this sort of problem?
Thanks!

1990 C2 cab
Old 08-26-2004, 11:58 AM
leosayer
Racer

A likely place for water to come whilst on the move is at the top of the quarter-light if there isn't a good seal. It is possible to adjust the height of the quarter-light but involves removing the door card.
Old 08-26-2004, 01:20 PM
deep_purple
Instructor

BlackCab,

I have the exact same problem. I thought that the seal wasn't that good in the front. Maybe the door needs to be adjusted/lifted a little bit in the front? I haven't made any adjustments to mine given that I rarely drive in the rain.
Old 08-27-2004, 09:28 AM
BlackCab
Advanced

door adjustment....I have to look into that. Thanks for the tips, guys....rain isn't infrequent enough to let it go here unfortunately
I'll let you know if I find anything else out.
Old 08-27-2004, 12:36 PM
splattergasted
Advanced

Not much advice in terms of a solid solution; but, my wife and her friend had ours out in a torrential downpour last week and water was pouring in from the spot you mentioned (as well as same place on the passengers side). I panicked and opened everything up (in the garage, of course), wiped down all of the seals, then closed everything again (including putting the windows up and down), then went out on a run to check the leaks. Thankfully, whatever I did fixed the problem and I haven't had a drop since.
Old 08-27-2004, 04:04 PM
BlackCab
Advanced

I'd be crazy not to at least try that idea! so you just wiped them down with a dry towel or some sort of rubber protector or what?
Old 08-27-2004, 04:35 PM
splattergasted
Advanced

Actually, in my state of panic, I just used a wet paper towel to get the surface dirt off and a paper towel to dry. I'm 99% positive the roof & windows were fully closed and properly seated before my wife took the car (thus my panic).

A few days later, when I gave her a bath (car, not wife), I cleaned them up good with a rubber protector (can't recall the brand -- guy @ pep boys said it was the best --it wasn't armor all).

It's my daily driver, so I've been thru a few storms since then with no issues at all. I'm still a bit paranoid when rain is in the forecast: when I put the top up, I usually back it off an inch then re-close then I reset the windows by putting them down then back up (yea, I know, no frames; but, I'm superstitious ).
Old 08-27-2004, 05:34 PM
the 964 KID
Advanced

i have the exact same problem on my car, just on the driver's side in the exact same place you described. So wiping everything down actually works?! Thats mind kind of solution, I'm going to try it, let me know if it works for u Blackcab, looks like we're dealing with the same weather systems.
Old 08-27-2004, 08:03 PM
J-McDonald
Pro

If you haven't done so already, you should treat your top with Raggtopp or the Porsche convertible top treatment (the former is available at www.autofanatics.com -- [no affiliation]). (The difference between the two is that Raggtopp will not damage your paint; the Porsche treatment will, so you'll need to mask-off the body if you use it).

The convertible top on my car would leak in the same place, but only after an extended downpour that resulted in the top becoming completely soaked with water. Since treating the top, the water now beads on the convertible top and I haven't had any leaks.

An added benefit is that treating the top counteracts some of the fade.

Raggtopp is cheap (less than $30) and is easy to apply (spray it on, and work it into the top with a clean cotton rag).

Good luck!
Old 08-29-2004, 01:26 PM
BlackCab
Advanced

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm going to try the "wipe down procedure" and then investigate this Raggtopp of which you speak
964 KID, I'll let you know, let me know what happens with you.....the fingers are crossed!
Old 09-07-2004, 11:25 PM
splattergasted
Advanced

Howz the leaks? Some nice testing weather heading our way from our friends in Fla.
Old 09-09-2004, 05:34 AM
nine64
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Same with my, it 's was leaking and then i open the top clean the car and it stop leaking. May be sometime it close better than other?
Old 05-04-2011, 12:57 PM
milutintin
Advanced

Hi everybody,

I'm having this problem. Does anyone know how to solve it? Do I have to change any seal?

Thanks,
Old 05-04-2011, 04:29 PM
-nick
Three Wheelin'

Received 104 Likes on 80 Posts

I would go with this order:

#1 Seal your canvas top with Raggtop/equivalent. I believe this stuff is only meant to last a few years between applications.

#2 Check the rubber seal along the top of the windshield. It is a 1-piece seal, but there are seams toward the left and right sides of the windshield that split over time causing rain leaks.

#3 Check your window for gaps at the top. These can be adjusted out easily, but you have to remove the door card to get to the adjustments. There is one that will adjust the window straight up/down. And one that will adjust the window tipping toward/away from the roof.

Good luck!
Old 05-04-2011, 10:46 PM
John Rygg
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Can anyone post a picture of the adjustment points behind the door card ?

Quick Reply: cab top leak