Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spoiler retract problem .....again!

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2004, 06:54 PM
Richard H
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Spoiler retract problem .....again!

My spoiler has decided that it will not go down as it should. No probs manually and has once or twice worked automatically. I've searched the forum and checked what I can - limit switches- okay all the way back to controller, main controller - nothing obvious in there looks bad, joints e.t.c.
Question is, is there anyway of actually testing the controller to see if it is okay?
As mine is a 90 car anybody know what function the additional controller has as the main controller is the same as 91+ cars without this? (parts manual says use new part no. in place of old one) The spoiler still works manually with this removed but have not tried it automatically.
Am I right in saying that the speed signal comes from the rh rear abs sensor and is this used for up and down?

Thanks

Richard 1990 C2
Old 08-26-2004, 04:03 AM
DaveK
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On a 90 model, you're not quite right about the speed signal. There is a separate speed sensor on the transmission tunnel and this controls the spoiler. If this fails, then the ABS sensor will be used (although I didn't know which wheel it was) - but then the spoiler doesn't raise until 75mph (or might be 70mph, can't remember). This is only true for 89 / 90 models.

I suspect the easiest way to test your control module would be to try it on another car - is there anyone near you? Where in the UK are you?
Old 08-26-2004, 06:34 PM
Richard H
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks Dave,
The spoiler raises at 50ish so I assume the speed signal is okay?
It looks like the control probably, this was apparently changed by the dealer when I bought the car 4 years ago so unless they put a secondhand one in it looks like I might have been unlucky! The spoiler would not raise then.
It's not that much of a problem so when I get time I'll do some more digging!!

Richard

P.S. I live in the Cotswolds.

Quick Reply: Spoiler retract problem .....again!