Sponsored by:

Hesitation and stumbling when warm

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2004, 02:12 PM
AsianBond
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hesitation and stumbling when warm

Cut aribox, car idle rough when cold and sluggish when warm under 3,000rpm.

Latest update, I retaped the airbox to test original configuration, the car idle better now and drove fine when cold, but when warm it display same sluggish revving syptoms, major hesitation when stomping pedal at idle, slight backfiring, engine feels like it's missing under 3,000rpm.

I think I have two problems:

1) With drill airbox I could not reset ecu because of the jump oxygen sensor status, thus bad idle when cold

2) Something is wrong with ignition system becuase it performs bad when warm, either the:

Wires
coil
coil control unit
Distributor cap
Distributor rotor

Any suggestions? Could it be some fuel system relay? Fuel filter is new.

My car has straight exhaust, no cats or heat exchangers, it doesn't have a oxygen sensor either. How to reset DME with jump oxygen sensor setting?
Old 08-23-2004, 08:16 PM
PC2
Burning Brakes

I believe DME reset should be the same even if your O2 sensors are jumped. Aside from what you've already listed, I would also look into replacing the DME relay, cleaning the ISV & Air Flow Meter. A gunked up ISV & Air Flow Meter are usually the culprit for rough idle and hesitations. Here's a very descriptive DIY Instruction written by DavidI. https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...t=ISV+cleaning

Old 08-23-2004, 11:59 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Without an O2 sensor there is nothing to provide feedback to the DME for adjusting the short & long term fuel trim tables so resetting the DME will probably not help here.

Did all your problems occur only AFTER you drilled your airbox?
Old 08-24-2004, 12:34 AM
PC2
Burning Brakes

Oops, my bad....please ignore my mindless post on the DME reset. Jason is right, a DME reset would probably not make a difference here.

Old 08-24-2004, 03:39 AM
AsianBond
Rennlist Member

I gave it some thought and realize the hestitation when warm might had been present before drilling the airbox. I recall that the car was much more alive when I first got it several months ago, suspect the degradation in performance might be iignition related.
Old 08-24-2004, 06:40 PM
WMRiceman
Addict
Rennlist Member

If you’re still thinking ignition, there are a couple of ways to check it out without just buying new parts right off. I had the same problem a month ago. Disconnect one coil wire at a time, start it and see if it idles. One of my coils was bad. Mine idled on the secondary coil but would hesitate and die on the main coil. 2 new coils was what fixed mine. The Bentley book has the values to check the resistance of the wires, distributor cap, and rotor. Just some ideas you might try, hope this helps. Mark

Quick Reply: Hesitation and stumbling when warm