Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aircon Kaput

Old 08-17-2004, 01:53 AM
tonyp
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aircon Kaput

Sorry if this maybe an exhausted thread already.

This morning I pull out of my drive to go to work and notice the cabin is not cooling, its reaching temperatures of mid 40's here at the moment so it doesnt take long before I am soaking wet.

The A/c is not blowing cool air.

A few months back I had a similar issue, but then I had the system re-gassed, they said then that if I had a leak, that only time would tell so I thought that maybe today was a conclusive leak.

However when I turn on / off the a/c there is no familiar clicking noise, nor does the engine hunt straight after I turn the a/c on. I am now fearing the worst....

Some silly questions but...

Is this a serious (ie compressor, pump, evapourator) issue, or would it be related to a potential gas leak?

Is the a/c prevented from engaging without gas in the system?

Any clues to assist my panic would be much appreciated.
Old 08-17-2004, 02:03 AM
ckkrause
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 50 Posts

There is a low pressure switch that prevents the compressor from operating in the event of a loss of gas... However, if it took a few months for the gas to leak out you should have felt a change in cooling over time or there could be another problem...

Good Luck!

-CKKrause
Old 08-17-2004, 07:53 AM
tonyp
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Agreed, the temperatures here are so hot that to be honest I always find the A/c i struggle, particulary mid day (plus its a black car with black leather interior) also I have been on leave for 3 weeks. Fingers crossed you are correct

Thanks alot

Tony
Old 08-17-2004, 08:59 AM
johnjohnc2
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

TonyP, Im working on a problem on my ac. I refilled it a week ago and it works fine when the car is running fast but not when it is standing still. By rennlist i found what i now think is the problem... I little thing called Ballast resistor near the condensor is broken and therefor my condensorfan isnt running.

Is your condensorfan running in front of your left frontweel? If it isnt i have pictures from yesterdays demolision
Old 08-17-2004, 09:05 AM
springer3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by tonyp
also I have been on leave for 3 weeks....
Tony: I have seen cases where the system did not leak while it was in use, but if left sitting would lose all its gas. My theory is that the oil aroung the compressor seal contains the gas, but if left sitting, the gas establishes a leakage path past the seal. The seal is marginal if this is what is happening.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Aircon Kaput