Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anyone here installed XM radio in their 964?

Old 08-16-2004, 08:02 AM
Rennen
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Has anyone here installed XM radio in their 964?

I'm curious about where you mounted the antenna and houw you routed the wire.
Old 08-16-2004, 10:57 AM
BGLeduc
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 63 Posts

I mounted the antenna (about the size of a computer mouse) on the package shelf inside the car. The literature cautions against this, but I have found reception to be great, and it saved me the grief of trying to get a wire from outside the car to inside the car.

I learned about this from another 964 owner, and it has worked great.

There is a short piece of cable exposed on the package shelf, after that its all concealed along the various nooks and crannies on the drivers side. My tuner is under the carpet in behind the front passenger seat (back seat foot well, if you will). I have a XM ready Pioneer head unit, and the cable from the tuner to the head unit go straight up under the carpet.

Most pro installers would chuckle, but it works for me.

BGL
Old 08-16-2004, 10:58 AM
pcaulfield10
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On the rear window shelf. That was the easy part. Finding a place to put the SKYFI radio was a bear. and I am still not happy with it.
Pat
Old 08-16-2004, 12:20 PM
Rennen
Burning Brakes

If I can get good reception with the antenna inside the car, that would be terrific. When you say rear window shelf, are you referring to the slanted area just below the rear window or do you have some part that lays flat? I'm not sure if I have a rear window "shelf" in the RSA. I guess I'll take a look at lunch.
Old 08-16-2004, 12:21 PM
Rennen
Burning Brakes

Oh, BTW, I bought an Alpine head unit with a built-in XM tuner so I don' t have to have an external tuner. All I have to do is run the antenna and I'm golden.
Old 08-16-2004, 12:28 PM
BGLeduc
Rennlist Member

Well, me non-RSA has a flat shelf behind the rear seats that houses the two rear speakers. The antenna is placed pretty much between them, but as far rearward as possible such that it is actually jammed somewhat between the glass and the padded package shelf.

If is actually very tight, such that I have not made an effort to secure it with double sided tape or anything (of course, I am sure in a severe frontal impact, it will come flying forward and penetrate my skull, but hey, as Austin Power's said in the 1st film "I too like to love dangerously!").

BGL
Old 08-16-2004, 12:28 PM
BGLeduc
Rennlist Member

Well, me non-RSA has a flat shelf behind the rear seats that houses the two rear speakers. The antenna is placed pretty much between them, but as far rearward as possible such that it is actually jammed somewhat between the glass and the padded package shelf.

If is actually very tight, such that I have not made an effort to secure it with double sided tape or anything (of course, I am sure in a severe frontal impact, it will come flying forward and penetrate my skull, but hey, as Austin Power's said in the 1st film "I too like to live dangerously!").

BGL
Old 08-16-2004, 01:51 PM
Rennen
Burning Brakes

The RSA has a tilted panel that runs up to the rear window. I'll probably just start by securing the antenna there temporarily to see how the reception is. If it's a problem, I'll have to find another solution.

Where did you run your wire for the anenna?
Old 08-16-2004, 01:53 PM
Rennen
Burning Brakes

Oh yeah, and the RSA doesn't have rear speakers. Only the two in the door. I'm going to upgrade the door speakers but I'm going to try to get by with just the two speakers because I don't want to modify any of the interior panels or trim.
Old 08-16-2004, 02:38 PM
BGLeduc
Rennlist Member

I snaked the cable around the side panels on the passenger side in the rear seat area. It exits down by the door sill toward the rear of the door openning, and then heads under the carpet.

Sorry I don't have a digital camera....in this case a pictire or pictures would be useful.

BGL
Old 08-16-2004, 02:41 PM
Rennen
Burning Brakes

No digital camera!?!?!...are you from the dark ages man!?!?

Thanks for the info, that's really helpful. I think my whole job will turn out to be a snap.
Old 08-16-2004, 05:04 PM
splattergasted
Advanced

When I bot my '93, the original owner had installed a cell phone antenna on the third brake light. The cable had been removed before I bot the car (they left the antenna); but, I'm guessing it ran under the carpet through the engine firewall and up through the neck of the brake light. I'll post a pic tonight.

I took it off b/c it looked silly...it was a ball on the end of a small post (very Jetsons-esque)...not a regular stubby-whip antenna. Now I have a hole in the plastic that I need to fix / replace.
Old 08-16-2004, 08:02 PM
pcaulfield10
Track Day

The shelf below the windows between the speakers. No problems with reception. Works as good as the one on the cab of my F250.
Pat
Old 08-17-2004, 02:34 AM
Jerry Garwick
Racer

Location: Prather, California: somewhere in the middle of the State
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

where would be a mounting place for a cabriolet?
Old 08-17-2004, 10:51 AM
BGLeduc
Rennlist Member

Not sure about that one.

I do note that there are now some very, very small antennas that may well fit somewhere between the trunk lid and the reward edge of the body work, around the "ET" High Mounted Stop Light.

I have a magnetic mount that I use in the wife's SUV so I can take the SkiFi on long trips. Its maybe 2" square, and is extremely strong.

BGL

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Has anyone here installed XM radio in their 964?