Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2004, 06:09 PM
John Boggiano
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default O/T: Someone to think about

A lot of 964ers know that my wife, Paula, has MS.

Diagnosed about 4 or five years ago, from being fine back then, she can now only (j-u-s-t) walk using a frame. Plus a host of problems that other people never see, of course.

She just gets on with life, tries not to 'inconvenience' me or anyone else and does everything that's humanly possible, plus quite a bit more to maintain some kind of 'normaility' in our lives...

Tonight, leaving work (yes, she still gets in to work pretty well every day), she suddenly got into a terrible state - almost rigid with a tremendous spasm that just wouldn't ease off.

I got her home, but then decided just to 'bounce off' home and take her to the hospital.

Whilst waiting for help to get her out of the car, the spasm eased somewhat and she asked just to be taken home. The spasm has now been replaced by complete 'floppiness', with virtually no muscle tone at all. Having got her home, it has taken me three hours just to get her upstairs and fed and undressed. This has all come as an unbelievably horrible, frightening shock to her. Let's hope she can get back to 'normal' following it.

Anyway - point of the post is partly that a lot of you know Paula personally and would like to know how she is, I'm sure. Also that it always helps somehow if someone in such a state knows that people are thinking about them. What I do on Rennlist and who I speak to and so forth are always of keen interest to her...
Old 08-11-2004, 06:29 PM
robmug
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

John - that's a tough post; I'm thinking of you both. You're right when you say Paula just gets on with life - as do you. Frankly, I admire the pair of you for the way you handle things.
Old 08-11-2004, 07:08 PM
Wikkid911
Remarkable
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi John,
It too amazes me how relaxed both yourself and Paula are about your situation. She must be a true petrol head like most of us here to put up with some of the excursions you take her on. I'm sorry her condition is unstable at present and hope things settle back to where they were for you both.
As personal friends of both my daughter Adeles and mine I wish you both the best and our thoughts are with you.
Old 08-11-2004, 07:27 PM
bhensarl
Jarhead
Rennlist Member

John,
If you don't mind I'd like to remember you in my prayers. At any rate, you'll both be in my thoughts.
Brian
Old 08-11-2004, 07:28 PM
RSAErick
Burning Brakes

Received 41 Likes on 1 Post

John, I too am thinking about you and Paula. Stories like this, and people like the both of you help me to have the strength to get through situations that appear too difficult or insurmountable. I hope to be able to meet you both some day. Until then, you and Paula are in my thoughts.
Erick
Old 08-11-2004, 10:44 PM
JoeW
Pro

People with ugly diseases (as if there were another kind) never cease to amaze me with their sheer determination to continue as if nothing, or nothing important, were wrong. it's almost as if the strong and courageous, instead of the weak ones like me, were singled out for suffering. I admire and hold Paula up as a role model for fortunate weaklings like me. You go, Paula!

I'm also aware -- for reasons irrelevant to this thread about Paula (and you) -- that serious illness takes a tremendous amount from those who are closest to the sick. The demands are nearly as constant and nearly as frightening and painful. Strange, isn't it, how these things bring out the best we have to give?

Kudos to Paula, and to you, and best wishes, and -- like Brian -- prayers. I've met neither of you, but from your posts and frequent forays into the wilds, feel I've come to know you a little bit. Thanks for sharing this unhappy adventure as well.

Joe
Old 08-11-2004, 11:58 PM
mamsp
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

John ... I have not met you or Paula but have read your posts on rennlist for quite a while now and consider you both good friends. I must say that this was a tough one. Please know that both you and Paula will be in my thoughts.
Old 08-12-2004, 12:20 AM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

John, it never ceases to amaze me that the nicest people in the world are the ones that have to bear these unbelievable burdens. The way you cope and the courage you show is nothing short of amazing. And thats more than apparent just from reading between the lines (of type) here on Rennlist.

You are in my thoughts and prayers.

All the best,

--H
Old 08-12-2004, 01:14 AM
Ruairidh
Super Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

John - I too have admired - for as long as I've been on Rennlist - the way you both have confronted and dealt with something that to most of us is unimaginable. I love the pictures you share and stories behind them. I don't have any words of wisdom - just know that Paula and you are also in my thoughts and prayers.
Old 08-12-2004, 01:38 AM
Jeff Curtis
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

John, I hope things get back to normal...or at least stabilize with Paula. Recently, the Wife of another good friend of mine was diagnosed with MS, he is learning a lot about the disease and often discusses how it affects his Wife with me.

You are a strong person to deal with this, keep your head up - as well, you two are in my thoughts and prayers.
Old 08-12-2004, 01:48 AM
Cupcar#12
Addict
Rennlist Member

John - I know what you are going through - My Mother also is about at the same stage with her MS. some days are good - most are not.
All the best, for both of you..

we raised money for the National MS society durring our 03' One Lap of america run
Old 08-12-2004, 02:43 AM
Jacks911
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

John,

Thank you for sharing your worries for Paula. I can simply say that we in the Northwest know all to well about MS and its impact on people & families. And we know that the most powerful thing I can do this long distance from you is to pray for both of you. God Bless & Strengthen both of you.
Old 08-12-2004, 02:58 AM
Phil Raby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

John, sorry to hear this. I don't know if Paula remembers meeting me last year, but please pass on my best wishes. My thoughts are with you both.

Take care

Phil
Old 08-12-2004, 03:24 AM
DonW-Cape Cod
R.I.P.
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

John I haven't been on the 964 board very long so this was the first time I heard about your wife. We pray for relatives a lot and you and Paula will added to "the family." Good luck to you, my friend.
Old 08-12-2004, 03:46 AM
Arjan B.
Drifting

John......

I am very pleased that I met Paula a few weeks ago togheter with you and Rob. I saw a women which was fighting agains her handicap which costs her a hughe amount of engery, but I think she is very brave........

I think John, that you should make her life as comfortable as possible, even if she wants to do everyting on her own.

My thoughts are with her...........

Quick Reply: O/T: Someone to think about