Sponsored by:

Bilstien/H&R initial settings

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2004, 11:11 PM
op964
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Bilstien/H&R initial settings

I am in the process of replacing my stock suspension with the Bilstien HD and H&R combo. What should the initial length of the front and rear assemblies be?
I realize that an alignment and corner balance will change the setting. Also, my front Bilstiens came with boots and bump stops - the rears didn't. I understand that if I cut 3/4 inch from the original stops I could re-use them. Do I really need boots? Could not find any boots or stops for sale on line. Lastly, I am painting my calipers and want to stencil the PORSCHE logo back on. Anybody have advice?
I am stuck!
Thanks

OP964
Old 08-08-2004, 03:15 PM
BGLeduc
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 63 Posts

If you mean the perch height, I am not sure that there is an initial setting. IIRC, the H&R sport will drop the ride height about 1" to 1 1/2", assuming the same perch height as you had with your stock dampers.

I guess I would start out be setting the perches the same, then see what the ride height looks like, and set it as you like (Euro RS is typically quoted at 25 1/2" to the front fender lip, and 25" to the rear, IIRC).

Once you are OK with the ride height, get it up on scales and get the corner weights where they need to be.

I think the general consensus is that the corner balance is king, even if that results in slight ride height differences.

BGL
Old 08-09-2004, 03:06 PM
sullivs
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

OP964,

I just put the same Bilstein HD and H&R setup on my '93. For starters, I laid my old shocks next to my new ones and lowered the spring perches by 1/2 inch. I think the new shock is slightly shorter anyway, so the final setup will be lower. The new Bilsteins may have internal wipers, but the boots will keep grime out. I would check with your supplier. I'm sure they would love to sell you some boots.

Good luck,
Steve

Quick Reply: Bilstien/H&R initial settings