Sponsored by:

Dampeners and Springs

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2004, 09:33 PM
psiegel
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Dampeners and Springs

I have over 100,000 miles on my 93 C4 (usa) and need to get new Dampeners and Springs. I am thinking about installing Bilsteins HD dampeners with ROE M030, H & R or Eibach springs. I am also looking at the Pss9 system as well. I use my car as an everyday driver and am really not interested in setting it up for the track. So my question is, does anyone have any personal experience with any of these combinations? Any thought pros and cons? Any recommendations would be great appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Peter
Old 08-03-2004, 09:06 AM
springer3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 16 Posts

I went with Bilstein HD shocks and the original springs. I set the height at the low end of USA spec. Atlanta has lots of speed bumps on the suburban streets, and deep rain ditches at many driveway aprons. Going low was not an option if I wanted to preserve my chin.

I attempted a DIY corner balance (thread posted), but still need to verify on scales that the method worked. I have no complaints about ride or handling (street use only).
Old 08-03-2004, 11:05 AM
axl911
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I've just replaced my failing shocks with Bilstein and Eibach springs. It rides better than the stock combo. While the ride is not cushy, it is very controlled and not as harsh as stock.

Funny, the wheels also made a difference. I've installed the fake turbo twist 17 " which is heavier. But this made my car much more controllable.

----
anthony
Old 08-03-2004, 03:15 PM
RSAErick
Burning Brakes

Received 41 Likes on 1 Post

I've used the US M030 shocks with Eibach springs. Compared to my H&R coilover set, the ride was much more pleasant on the street and the performance was still very acceptable on the track.

Erick
Old 08-03-2004, 04:57 PM
psiegel
Racer

Thanks for the input. I understand that this is a very subjective discussion but thats what's really interesting. Regarding the Eibach springs, for those of you that have installed them, what was the reason you went with the Eibacks rather then the H & R or the M030?

Thanks
Peter
Old 08-03-2004, 06:07 PM
RSAErick
Burning Brakes

Received 41 Likes on 1 Post

Peter,
My personal feeling is that there is very little difference between the progressive 'sport' springs offered by either Eibach or H&R. I believe that they have VERY similar spring rates, and for the most part, when the rates are the same, a spring is a spring is a spring. They are also similarly priced.

IMO, Shocks are a little trickier, but both the Bilstein HD's and the M030 shocks seem to be a good match to the progressive springs offered by Eibach and H&R.

Erick
Old 08-03-2004, 09:18 PM
psiegel
Racer

OK, One more question. Has anyone that has installed the H & R springs with the Bilstien HDs every wsih they didn't for one reason or another or has anyone ever changed them out to something else and if so what was changed?

Thanks
Peter
Old 08-04-2004, 10:03 PM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have just had some differing experiences in purchasing my new springs and struts. Firstly I felt I got the best prices anywhere, but the service is what is truly important and it was amazingly varied:

I purchased 3 of my struts from eshocks.com and the service was...TERRIBLE! Firstly they didnt send a shipping confirm, then didnt respond to any emails. After a week I called and was told by the gentlemen answering the phone that he is too busy to help and asked that I call back!! I said I had sent emails and gotten no answer. He puts me on hold (ungraciously) and another guy picks up a few minutes later. He tells me that he was going to call me as they dont have both rear struts but didnt get around to it. I said ok just send me what you have and I'll get the other elsewhere. When I didnt get a shipping confirm I called again worried that the struts still didnt ship. I called and was told they had shipped out of NY instead of CA and there had been a warehouse mistake. I ask for a shipping number and get put on hold. He comes back and changes the subject. I ask if they have actually shipped and am told they have. I repeat my request for a shipping number and he asks me to hold again while he calls the warehouse guy. He comes back and says they will ship out of CA??????!!! Anyway, thay arrived in good shape eventually but getting there was a load of hassle and marred by bad service!

While I was having a hard time with eshocks I orderd one strut from AJ-USA. The guy physically went to check if they had it in stock while I waited. They immediately confirmed by email with complete details and tracking number and shipped out same day (the email arrived while I was still ordering over the phone..literally!) - it arrived a day later with free shipping!! CANT BEAT THAT!!

Today my springs arrived from morepowerracing.com. A rep named Hiedi took my order and understood I needed the springs quickly. She sent me an email to explain they were out of stock but should get them in soon. She then followed up with another email the same day to advise they could get them by the following day. Next day I get an email with a tracking number. The springs arrive 2 days later! These guys had the absolute best price anywhere!!!! $299, no tax, free shipping!!!!!BTW I bought the 965 Turbo springs. Their website is here

Anyway, sorry to post all this, but I think its important to pass along when you get both excellent and lousy service. I was surprised at how great AJ-USA and MPR were just as much as I was surprised how crappy eshocks were! (BTW dont confuse with eshox whom I've never tried)

<----------$0.02
Old 08-05-2004, 01:55 AM
PC2
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Howard,

Calm down, we know your going through a lot lately. But all psiegel's asking is the difference between M030, Eibach & H&R.

Old 08-05-2004, 03:09 AM
nine64
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by psiegel
OK, One more question. Has anyone that has installed the H & R springs with the Bilstien HDs every wsih they didn't for one reason or another or has anyone ever changed them out to something else and if so what was changed?

Thanks
Peter
I have this combo on mine and is a daily driver. Very happy with it. Road condition around here is pretty bad with speed bum and pot hole, still don't have clearance issue, just take it slow sometime but other than that work great!
Old 08-05-2004, 11:32 AM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PC2
Howard,

Calm down, we know your going through a lot lately. But all psiegel's asking is the difference between M030, Eibach & H&R.

Old 08-05-2004, 02:19 PM
PC2
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Kahdmus
Sorry, I'm confused as well. I have a bad cold and drank too much NyQuil last night. That comment might as well been for myself because of my recent brake caliper fiasco with a supplier.

Old 08-05-2004, 02:27 PM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

That NyQuil is good stuff isnt it?!! LOL!

Actually its probably time I started a new job and therefore I wouldnt have time to play 'Consumer Reports"!!

Cheers Peter!
Old 08-05-2004, 04:57 PM
964Dawg
Intermediate

Howard,

Did you get the springs on?

By the way, I went with Eibach and didn't replace my struts or shocks. They just didn't nee it yet. (My family owns a GM dealership so I get labor for free - I'll make them do it next year) By the way, we have a wholesale agreement with one of the big tire companies that offers struts, brake pads, brake lines, springs, coil-overs and of course tires. You did get a good price. Wholesale on the H&R springs is $255 and Eibachs are around $300. Add shipping and a 10% profit and you are right at $299 - So you did very well.
Old 08-05-2004, 05:16 PM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Dawg, thats great info, yup the price and the treatment I recieved at MPR was fantastic and I highly recommend them!

Glad someone deosnt mind my posting my retailer experiences! Only kidding I know Pete justr likes giving me jibes. Although sometimes I feel under more scrutiny than Faria Alam's knickers on this board!!!

My springs are sat in the box on the kitchen table right now (much to my wifes chagrin). Will be installed on Tuesday all things going to plan.

My Dad was in the auto trade and had a Ford dealership for 30 years before becomeing a vicar (can you imagine THAT transition! LOL!) Funny thing is he used to make us pay when we booked our cars into his shop! We used to call him "Arthur Daley" when he did this and we'd at least get a good discount! (Cheers Dad, wherever you are!)

Quick Reply: Dampeners and Springs