Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   964 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/964-forum-59/)
-   -   Exhaust upgrade (https://rennlist.com/forums/964-forum/148523-exhaust-upgrade.html)

Kermach 07-27-2004 08:30 PM

Exhaust upgrade

Hello everybody,
I'm new on this forum with a 1990 911 black C2 Coupe.
I was wondering which combination would be the best to improve torque and hp: primary or secondary muffler by-pass (or both) or new cat...
In the same way, which performance filter best fits my 964?
Thanks a lot for your help
Kermach

Kermach 07-27-2004 08:48 PM

What would you advice?
Do you have numbers for hp and torque increase?
thanks

joey bagadonuts 07-27-2004 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by jonfkaminsky
Ancient lore holds that ...

:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

Kermach,

Welcome! So what are you trying to accomplish? I currently have a g-pipe or secondary bypass on my car. I'm not sure if I've ever seen dyno results for this specific upgrade (usually, there are plots which involve multiple changes) but FWIW, my 0-60 times improved noticeably when I switched from the primary to secondary bypass, approx. 1/2 a second.

Now, using a G-Tech is not as precise as dyno testing and given the variability of driver input when launching and atmospheric variables, the numbers could certainly be off. However, I believe I was fairly diligent in my approach and that my test results were reasonably accurate. Whether I picked up a few hp's or expanded the torque curve, well, that's highly debatable.

FWIW, I also prefer the sound of the g-pipe. It's more of a muffled growl compared to the primary bypass which, IMHO, sounds a little sputtery. As you may have surmised, I tried both and felt the secondary provided me with more grunt off the line and a cooler sound but, of course, that's simply a matter of taste.

Have fun with it and don't expect too much. Pipes are probably one of the cheapest mods you can do and they certainly give your car a unique sound.

Christer 07-28-2004 04:42 AM

Originally Posted by Kermach
Hello everybody,
I'm new on this forum with a 1990 911 black C2 Coupe.
I was wondering which combination would be the best to improve torque and hp: primary or secondary muffler by-pass (or both) or new cat...
In the same way, which performance filter best fits my 964?
Thanks a lot for your help
Kermach

In order to increase power, you will need to look at headers as well.

sullivs 07-28-2004 03:48 PM

Hey Kermach,

I just put on a primary bypass pipe on my '93 before a weekend DE. They are relatively inexpensive, I bought mine at FVD for $195.00. First thing I noticed was the sound, a little lower and deeper growl. But you would not call it noisy. Actually sounded very nice. The second thing I noticed was that I was going about 5mph faster on the straightaway of our local track, where I have driven dozens of times.
I know a lot has been said about the little if any gain to be had from it, but I think it is there. It may be tough to feel an extra 5 hp, (or whatever is claimed) but it sure made it more fun to drive. Both by the seat of the pants, and by the sound.
Overall, a very easy part to install to get that much satisfaction.

Just my opinion,
Steve

mmccray 08-01-2004 01:21 PM

Welcome Kermach!!

I too recently acquired a 90 C2. I can't speak to whether or not I've increased power, but the pleasure I get from listening to the Fabspeed muffler makes me feel like I'm in a true SUPERCAR. I bought the dual outlet setup, but am waiting on the LH valance to be painted before I add the second outlet.

So far it's not too loud, but more importantly - not too quiet either.

Now..... if I can just get the courage up to drill out the airbox..

Good luck and have fun!

Marshall McCray
1990 C2 (Baby 2)
1987 944S (Baby 1)

Bill Gregory 08-01-2004 03:03 PM

The August 1999 PCA Panorama had an article by Joel Reiser which detailed what can be done to the 964/993/996 engines.