Sponsored by:

Driveshafts - known problems?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2004, 05:20 PM
tonytaylor
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Driveshafts - known problems?

Apparently I need a new driveshaft. I have been having issues with them geting hot and the grease melting and dripping out recently. Gators are /were OK. I was hoping to have them reconditioned but it appears one is unreconditionable. Not much in search. Is this a common failing? Can it be prevented?

65k miles, some track milage
Old 07-27-2004, 06:14 PM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

wow... never heard of one that was beyond rebuild.... usually it is just a matter of replacing the CVJ and boots and done... unless they hit something and get bent out of shape.. but the vibration would have been awful...

But I guess that hard starts and track action can help to increase the wear on the teeth
Old 07-27-2004, 06:26 PM
Colin 90 C2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Tony, Is the problem just grease dripping out or do you have noises, ie. worn joints. If it is just the grease then you should be able to replace the boot and install new grease. I think that over time the grease loses it's viscosity. Even in the new tubes of grease you will find that a little liquid comes out before the grease.
Old 07-27-2004, 06:59 PM
tonytaylor
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Colin 90 C2
Tony, Is the problem just grease dripping out or do you have noises, ie. worn joints. If it is just the grease then you should be able to replace the boot and install new grease. I think that over time the grease loses it's viscosity. Even in the new tubes of grease you will find that a little liquid comes out before the grease.

The grease was dripping out when it got hot at track. The original idea was to replace the grease, which turned into recon driveshafts when they were stripped and apparently one is beyond repair/recon.
No noises ( I've stopped listening to "noises" ) but on reflection one of the rear wheels was hitting parts of the car it shouldn't really have been able to.

Quick Reply: Driveshafts - known problems?