Sponsored by:

A bit of sport

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2004, 12:50 PM
Gavin
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A bit of sport

I was out for a little drive on Saturday and was ' making progress' along a stretch of 'A' Road, when a saw a large motorcycle tagging along behind me. We both stopped at a set of lights leading on to the M1 motorway and he stayed behind me.....he wants a little bit of a play I thought. The lights turned to green and I turned on to the slip road to join the motorway, with the bike still sitting behind me...just as the slip road straightened up and the traffic was clear I floored it with about 3000 showing in 2nd gear and gave it full beans in 2nd, 3rd and alot of 4th. Looking in my mirrors the bike had gone for it aswell, but to my surprise he was alittle way behind & wasn't closing the gap I had opened up on him. At the next junction we both eased off and came off the motorway, and the bike went past. We followed each other for a bit with the bike pulling a lovely big wheelie in front of me and then we both stopped at the next set of lights. I wound down my window and the biker lifted his visor......his words....'that's a *$@&ING quick motor you've got there...' with that we both smiled and diddled off. I looked at the bike as he drove away, a Honda CBR1100 blackbird.....

Not bad going then for a 15 year old car, I thought !!!
Old 07-26-2004, 05:17 PM
R6XTERRA
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

hahahaahh. If you were running against my Yamaha R6....can you say spank. I am very suprised that he did not munch you. 1. His bike is aweful or 2. He sucks as a driver. The blackbird is a 10.5 sec bike in the quarter mile.

Ps. Are you packing something under the hood?

Jeff
Old 07-27-2004, 04:31 AM
DaveK
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm also a bit surprised by that result. My bike (Yamaha R1) is MUCH quicker than my car. Blackbirds are a bit heavy - but I'd still expect it to destroy most cars with acceleration. Unless your "with mods" is something seriously quick (in which case, can you tell us what it is!).

Many years ago, I had a Toyota Supra TT. Very quick car - did seem to accelerate quicker than my 964. The day after I bought it, I was out "playing" on an A road but got stuck behind a slower car. An R1 came up behind me - and although there were opportunities for him to overtake, he didn't. We hit a nice long stretch of straight road and I floored it to overtake the car in front. As I pulled in, thinking what a fantastic super-fast car I'd just bought...... the R1 went past me on his back wheel!
Old 07-27-2004, 05:09 AM
Gavin
Advanced

My car does go well, its got about 270bhp @ wheels but I suspect his bike was knackered and I got the jump on him.....!!!
Old 07-27-2004, 05:12 AM
DaveK
Race Car

Are you going to share with us what the mods are? 270 at the wheels is pretty good - how did you get there?
Old 07-27-2004, 07:16 AM
Gavin
Advanced

Engine had top end rebuild: Different camshafts, new valve springs, titanium retainers, raised compression ratio (heads machined), injector overhaul, plastic inlet manifold and large bore throttle body fitted, de-cat and cup pipe, cup airbox & re-chipped (running on optimax), RS Lwt flywheel and clutch. Car also has RS brakes and roock springs and dampers.

The bike killed me from walking pace (on the back wheel !!) but I can normally put up a good show from 3rd onwards..especially with the 600's...
Old 07-27-2004, 07:32 AM
DaveK
Race Car

The bike killed me from walking pace (on the back wheel !!)
Happens to me every time. And I even know it will because of my own bikes. Still fun to try though

Quick Reply: A bit of sport