OPTIMA battery drain

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2004, 03:45 AM
Jerry Garwick
Racer

Location: Prather, California: somewhere in the middle of the State
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question OPTIMA battery drain

While working on my '91 I left the trunk up and the year old Optima battery connected and managed to completely drain it. I attempted to recharge it on a low charge rate and it gets pretty hot. Are there any Optima experts out there with advice, rather than it's "fried?"
Old 07-17-2004, 01:52 PM
Randall G.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Jerry,

Try Optima's website:

http://www.optimabatteries.com/faq.asp

You might also call their contact phone number. Bet you can get a straight answer there. I've heard rumor that a flat Optima has to be recharged by the parts store. But, that's just rumor. We have a similar technology battery (factory!) in our '96 Miata, but have never had to jump it--it's only been used for jumping other cars. That damn battery still cranks like new--incredible. The one in my Porsche cranks over stronger than any lead acid battery I've ever had (short of one fresh from the store).

Please let us know how things work out for you.
Old 07-17-2004, 02:25 PM
PC2
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Optima batteries are covered by a 3 year warranty. Can't you take it back and exchange for a fresh one?

Old 07-17-2004, 03:16 PM
ckkrause
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 50 Posts

I've had that happen and tried to recharge in automatic mode at 10 amps and it fried the battery. I read somewhere that you need to start at low amps, (approx. 2 amps), for an hour and then switch to full power charging. I done this the last several times I've drained the Optima and no problems....

To me, the bigger issue is how quickly batteries drain in a 964...

-CKKrause
Old 07-19-2004, 03:21 AM
Jerry Garwick
Racer

I dunno. I'm going to take the Optima back to the dealer tomorrow and see what he has to say about charging the thing. I'll let you know.
Old 07-21-2004, 02:02 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

When I drained my Optima Red Top it would not charge with my trickle charger. I took it back to the store and was told that Optima (dry cell) bateries require a rapid charge and will not adequately charge with a trickle charger (when drained). The trickle charger works great for maintenance.
Old 07-21-2004, 05:41 PM
Jerry Garwick
Racer

I recently had a message from Al Zim, a 356 enthusiast and owner of ZIM's in Texas, and he related that Optimas should be hit with high amperage charges for two hours followed by a trickle charge. He said the company claims that the battery can be initially charged with up to 200 amps. "That's the equivilant of an electric welder!" sez Al.

Quick Reply: OPTIMA battery drain