More spoiler problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2004, 02:38 AM
bhensarl
Jarhead
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default More spoiler problems

My spoiler deploys fine on it's own while I'm on the road, but when I try to use the switch in the engine compartment it doesn't seem to want to go up. So today I took the cover off the gear assembly and pressed the switch. The cable that goes from the motor to the gears looked like it was being driven by the motor because it seemed to twist a bit and go taut, but nothing else happened. Any ideas? Thanks.
Brian
Old 07-11-2004, 10:52 AM
mojorizing
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Hi Brian,
Possibly a bad bearing in the gear drive? Check out this site.....

http://p-car.com/diy/spoilerdrive/

later, Kevin
Old 07-11-2004, 02:42 PM
bhensarl
Jarhead
Rennlist Member

Would the bad bearing affect the spoiler's operation all the time? I'm thinking it's probably a bad switch, and I was going to replace that, but I wanted to get some opinions on the issue first. What do you think, Kevin?
Brian
Old 07-11-2004, 04:21 PM
mojorizing
Rennlist Member

ooops, forget my earlier post....I missed a couple of points. First, the switches in the engine compartment are limmit switches to tell the controller that the spoiler is at an open/closed position. They don't actuate the spoiler.

Like you said it's probably a bad switch that has dirty contacts in the center console. You can pull the switch and test continuity, or jump out the switch in place to find out.

later, Kevin
Old 07-11-2004, 06:02 PM
bhensarl
Jarhead
Rennlist Member

Okay Kevin, thanks for working with me, I think we're getting closer. My car's an 89 so it doesn't have the switch in the center console. My switch is on the underside of the engine compartment lid. So if I think the little two position actuator switch is the problem, how do I check to see if it is truly kaput? Thanks for your help.
Brian
Old 07-11-2004, 07:39 PM
mojorizing
Rennlist Member

Well, you learn something new everyday......

So the manual switch on a '89 is in the engine compartment???

The schematic shows the 2 position switch with the common lead (labelled#3 and is blue/black) goes to the controller...I'd expect that this has +DC volts. Last month, I just repaired one of these controllers and I think it's TTL at this
point...can't remember that far back!! So +5 volts on this lead. When you throw the switch open/closed, the 5 volts is applied to the open or closed circuit in the controller. When the spoiler reaches it's limit , the limit switch closes and grounds out the 5 volt signal shutting down the motor.

If the spoiler is working in auto as you drive, this points to a bad switch , or a disconnected common lead to the controller.

Yuo should get the CD's in a few days, I sent them out Friday.

I'm at the airport about to leave for 10 days of fun in the sun........I just needed to access rennlist one more time before I leave civilization...

later, Kevin

Quick Reply: More spoiler problems