Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Engine performance upgrade to my 964

In association with Sportec of Switzerland my engine will be upgraded to their Stage 3 status on July 15th. This is the 285 HP kit. My car will also be on display at the Sportec Open day (2 day event) in Hoeri Switzerland in September (I will announce dates in a follow up post). I will also be doing book signings at the event as well as showing the modifications to my 964. I will be taking photos during the work so 964 owners can see what the modification entails.
If you are interested in seeing what the kit entails please use the following instructions to visit the Sportec web site.
Url www.sportec.ch click to enter the site.
At the top menu you will see the word Produkte. Put the cursor over this and you will
see another menu pop up underneath. Select the word Selekor.
Then on the left pf the screen will pop up four bars under the title Produkte-Selektor.
In the top bar it says Bitte wählen (this means please choose).
The first bar is the brand selector, choose Porsche.
The second bar is to select the model, choose 964 Carrera and 964 RS
The third bar if you select Elektronic and the fourth bar select Carrera you will get a Stage 1 pure electronic change to the 964 which gives 10 HP.
However if you select Motorumbau in the third bar menu then Carrera in the 4th bar you will get
the next three stages of engine upgrades.
Stage 3 will be installed in my 964 on July 15th.
Ciao,
Adrian.
964C4

PS: It has also been arranged (by yours truly) for a stage 2 engine upgrade kit to be installed onto an American version 1989 C4. This will be done later in the year in the USA.
Old 07-02-2004, 07:03 AM
Thomas Linser
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats Adrian!!

Sportec is a well known Tuner over here in Switzerland!!

I'm impatient to see some pictures as the mods will be made to your C4

Gruetzi Thomas
Old 07-02-2004, 07:06 AM
Harold
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Souns very exciting Adrian. Does this mean that the RCT Evo conversion will be on hold for a while?
Old 07-02-2004, 07:18 AM
Christer
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Adrian

Always interesting to see what is around....suggest you get before and after dyno done to really see where the gains lie....!
Old 07-02-2004, 09:33 AM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Dear Christer,
The work will actually be done on an AWD dyno. Sportec have one on site and the fine tuning is done on the dyno.
I am not interested in before just after.
Ciao,
Adrian
964C4
Old 07-02-2004, 10:01 AM
Christer
Race Car

You are not interested in the difference?

Look forward to hearing more though....
Old 07-02-2004, 10:05 AM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Dear Christer,
Nope I am interested in getting the 285 HP. What it is now is not of great interest. Sportec provide the figure of the HP their kits give and that is what I am expecting.

Dear Harold,
Yes I have decided that the RCT Evo conversion may not be the best way for me to travel. After I test drove the Sportec SP650 which is a Porsche GT-2 with 650 HP I sort of decided that was more fun and would be a worthy goal for me to work towards in the future.

Dear Thomas,
Are you going to drop by on the 11th or 12th of September. I would love to meet you.

Ciao,
Adrian
964C4
Old 07-02-2004, 11:08 AM
Christer
Race Car

I only mentioned it in case their dyno shows you started at 282hp for whatever reason....but its your choice of course!
Old 07-02-2004, 01:18 PM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Ha ha ha on a stock standard 1989 Carrera 4. More like 242 HP with its age and mileage
Ciao,
Adrian
964C4
Old 07-02-2004, 07:43 PM
gfunk
Pro

Adrian,

From everything I have read, obtaining absolute accuracy on a dyno is very difficult. There are probably a dozen correction factors that get applied to the measurements to give you a HP rating at the engine. The final number you get could quite easily be out by +/- 5%.

Repeatability during the course of a day can be quite good which is why relative (before/after) measurements are more useful for determining the effectiveness of a particular mod.

Greg
89 C4
Old 07-02-2004, 10:27 PM
pzull
Burning Brakes

Without a baseline dyno done, one would almost never know what the increase was. Is the baseline used for comparison 250 bhp given by factory? What dyno did porsche use at what temperature, what barometric pressure, what kind of ventilation and was it an average of a few runs back to back or average with cooldown in between.

I could get 20-30bhp more on my car without any mods just by trying various different dynos on different days until I find an optimistic dyno on a cool day, located in some underground garage 100m below sea level (high barometric pressure)....and be happy that I got 30 more bhp than porsche stated standard without a single mod?
Old 07-03-2004, 03:26 AM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Well guys with all this talk on dynos may I suggest that if any of you are in the Zuerich area of Switzerland on the 11th or 12th of September you can pop along and see the Sportec dyno installation. It is very impressive and is contained in a pressure and temperature controlled environment. It is a full AWD (front and rear rollers powered and braked) dyno.
It is worth taking a look at. A lot of money invested in this system.
Ciao,
Adrian
964C4
Old 07-05-2004, 06:10 AM
Gavin
Advanced

Why wouldn't you have a before and after comparison if one is available ?
Old 07-05-2004, 07:17 AM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Cost and time. This is not a comparison test it is an upgrade. I am only interested if the kit installed on my engine make its minimum power output of 285 HP. What the engine output now is of no interest. If you are installing mods which said "30 HP upgrade" then yes you would do this. The kits are not advertised as HP increases they are advertised as 260, 275, 285 and 310 HP engine upgrade kits.
There is no justification for the cost or the time of a pre-modification "what is the power now run". I do not care and it makes no sense. I am surprised that some people cannot see this. Would you do a dyno run prior to having the engine removed and rebuilt as a 3.8 litre? No! You would only be interested that the power output when the job was finished as a minimum of 310 HP on the new and different engine. If my engine puts out 285 HP then the mod works and I am happy.
Ciao,
Adrian
964C4
Old 07-05-2004, 08:09 AM
Christer
Race Car

I see what you mean Adrian, although as Sportec quote fwhp and is siubject to correction factors for temperature, barometric pressure and most importantly transmission loss - I would still get rwhp before and after as it is easy to adjust the factors.

I am not suggesting in any way that Sportec would do this of course, and also I understand that having a C4 you might be limited ingetting any useful dyno data from anyone else....but I would get them to do it - it will only cost a minimal amount...

In any case, look forward to seeing your results at some stage if you are willing to share...

All the best!

Christer

Quick Reply: Engine performance upgrade to my 964