Sponsored by:

Newbie to the 964 List with questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2004, 06:12 PM
springer3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 16 Posts

The car that needs the clutch is underpriced, provided that is all it needs. In my experience, a car with needs in one area has needs in lots of areas. It that case, $15,000 is still too much. It begs the question: why don't they fix the clutch for $2500, and then price the car at around $25,000?

Carfax, and a competent PPI, including signs of significant collision history will tell the story. You may just have a motivated seller, in which case you have found a deal. If that is the case, you had better move quickly. Deals never last (and would not be deals if they did).

I agree $25K is high for a 92,000 mile original 1990 C4. It is justified only if it is exceptional - recent major service, new tires, recent shocks, and exceptional cosmetics - a true "garage queen".
Old 06-21-2004, 06:30 PM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Springer has very solid advice above.

Also, why is the seller dropping $3k on the price just after talking about the car? I could be totally off base, but it appears the seller knows he/she has a dog and wants to dump it quick with the lure of a low selling price.

I agree that if the car was truely very nice except for the clutch, he'd price it in the low $20's, then allow money off the price for a clutch replacement as you go through negotiations on the car and still be way ahead of this $15k price tag.

I hate to be negative, but I've seen way too many rats out there that will cost a mint to fix. You could dump $10k in this car and still have a car worth only $18k... Abused 911's can take quite a bit of cash to make right. Buyer beware...

Best,

Jay
90 964
(Sorry to our original thread starter for hi-jacking their thread!)
Old 06-21-2004, 07:55 PM
nine51
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the car is a consignment car at a used car "broker". he's the origianal owner and just seems like wants to sell the car. not that i'm an expert but it seems to me like a nice car, definatly never been hit. as i said earlier the only thing i don't have the ability to do is the clutch.
i'm driving it tommorow...we'll see how it drives and i may take the plunge and join your ranks.
i know...buyer beware and all, if it seems like too good a deal it prolly is....
my only real BIG fear is a possible top end job whitch my mech should be able to detect(30 year p-car guy)
thanks for your input
jay
Old 06-21-2004, 09:32 PM
springer3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 16 Posts

I am even more skeptical now that you say a broker is in the picture. I am sure there are honest ones, but I have not yet seen or heard of one. Be careful!
Old 06-21-2004, 09:52 PM
Gilbasa
Advanced

Cool 964 Wheels & Upgrades

993 wheels DO fit on 964's ( sorry to prove you wrong Adrian) I just put a pair of 993 Carrera Cup 2 wheels on my car that were off a 1997 993 Cab. They fit perfectly! I also lowered my car one inch so the 17 inch cup wheels fill out the wells really nice. ( See picture attached) I also had the exhaust tip polished at a local metal refinisher for about $15 U. S. which only took about 15 minutes this adds a bit of custom look to the car. ( see Pictures).

As for performance upgrades there are allot of things you can do without spending too much. I upgraded the clutch to the RS lightweight fly wheel and clutch assembly made by SACHS. the total for this job was around $2,200 and really makes a difference when driving. However you may want to get a new ECU when you do this to compensate for the engine idle cavitation which occurs with the lighter flywheel. plus a good ECU should give you about 15 more HP. for the less exspensive performance upgrades I recomend a modified air box ( drilling 1.5" holes in the front panel) and a K&N Air Filter this will give you about 5-8 HP and a deep throaty sound at full throttle. If you really want an obnoxious sounding Porsche you can bolt on a primary and secondary muffler bypass pipes which not only saves weight but sounds like a fire spiting V-8 and can add a few more 8-10 HP. ( some people don't like the sound though) I also put in a cat bypass pipe from Fabspeed which made a noticible difference in the top end (about 10 HP). I've been toying with the idea of a throttle body which I hear can give an extra 8-10 HP. I also put cross drilled rotors on the car which not only looks great but cured the squeaky brake problem which afflicts 964's. After all is said and done you could have a nice 964 with about 300HP.

My car has the new clutch, bypass pipe, and modified air box and is just as quick as my friends 6 speed 2001 996 cab.

If you have any other questions, let me know.

thanks

Gilbasa
1990 Silver C-2 Coup
Old 06-21-2004, 10:29 PM
Gilbasa
Advanced

Unhappy Re: wheeels and upgrades

Forgot Pictures
Old 06-21-2004, 11:24 PM
joey bagadonuts
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: 964 Wheels & Upgrades

Originally posted by Gilbasa
993 wheels DO fit on 964's ( sorry to prove you wrong Adrian)
I think Adrian was referring to the 993 steering wheel not fitting but I was also a little confused.

Last edited by joey bagadonuts; 06-21-2004 at 11:41 PM.
Old 06-21-2004, 11:58 PM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Received 903 Likes on 532 Posts

Good luck. I absolutely love my 90 cabriolet.
Old 06-22-2004, 09:11 AM
nine51
Instructor

Originally posted by springer3
I am even more skeptical now that you say a broker is in the picture. I am sure there are honest ones, but I have not yet seen or heard of one. Be careful!
not too worried.... just like any used car lot. when i called about the car origionally, he's the one who told me it needs some attention.
after talking to the seller, he told me the price was negiciable.
the owner bought a 97 C4S last fall and his wife wants him to sell a car. he doesn't want to put money into something just to sell it, no matter if he can get more for it. he's not motivated by money.... he's motivated by an angry wife.

jay
Old 06-22-2004, 09:15 AM
nine51
Instructor

Originally posted by Doug H
Good luck. I absolutely love my 90 cabriolet.
quite the collection

Quick Reply: Newbie to the 964 List with questions