Sponsored by:

Air con pipe removal

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2004, 10:21 AM
DaveK
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Air con pipe removal

I posted recently to say I had a leak from the metal a/c pipes that run in the engine bay (behind the rear blower and into the lhs rear wing).

Since the system has been tested (and is empty) I can remove the pipes myself. At the compressor / engine bay end it looks easy - and my mechanic has said that there is a plastic cover in the lhs rear wheel arch and - from memory - he thinks the pipes exit from the engine bay here - and that there is a connection there. This would mean it should be fairly simple to remove the pipes.

So - my question is - can anyone confirm whether there is a joint under this wheel arch plastic cover?

I'm being lazy - since it won't take too long to check - but if I can get them off fairly easily I'll do it. If I need to follow the pipes down to the sill cover etc. I may not bother starting and I'll just keep the windows open.
Old 06-18-2004, 01:23 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Yes, there is a connection in the left rear wheel behind the plastic. There is another in the left front wheel.
Old 06-21-2004, 04:21 AM
DaveK
Race Car

Thanks - as a result of that info, I removed the pipes from the engine bay on Saturday. I was intending to take photos - but completely forgot until afterwards.

At first, I couldn't see any sign of a leak - and I'm still sure it's not leaking from where the sniffer seemed to be pointing when it detected the leak. However, there is clearly corrosion on the smaller pipe just behind the joint in the wheel arch - and when I shone light into it, sure enough - there are a couple of holes right behind the joint.

The car is currently running with the remaining pipes blocked up - and I'll order a replacement pipe today.

Quick Reply: Air con pipe removal