Sponsored by:

Help! top spark plug #6 cyl, removal/replace

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2004, 03:02 AM
jonfkaminsky
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! top spark plug #6 cyl, removal/replace

Someone please tell me it is not going to get any worse than this!

I am trying to change the top spark plug for the #6 cylinder which is conveniently located at the back of the engine underneath the power steering pump. Now that I have my A/C compressor, airbox, and half of my intake manifold removed, I am hoping that I get to remove the power steering pump as well for a clean sweep. In fact, maybe I should pull the whole engine.

Grrrrrrrrrrrr

Whose idea was power steering on a light front-end sports car anyway?

Anyone share a technique for getting this plug out, inserting the new one and getting the torque wrench in the to snug it up?
Old 06-18-2004, 06:20 PM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

And your problem is? Man! you are going all wrong about this...

Seriously, no need to remove the steering pump. You should be able to remove the plug from underneath the car.

You will need to remove all the covers that are in the way... and this will give you access to all 6 plugs. I never remove airbox or A/C compressor when doing my 15k maintenance...

Good luck and let me know if you need additional photos of the process. I have done this 4 times already in my car. In my case I do not have the, secondary muffler, engine tray and the side covers so it is easier to just remove the G pipe, Cat, Rear Wheels, Oxigen Sensor, and metal covers to access these areas.

Good luck.
Old 06-18-2004, 06:27 PM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Sorry.... forgot to document what I do to get them out. I have the normal socket to remove them (the one with the rubber insert), a 6" extension, 3" extension (depends on the plug) and a rachet (3/8").

I had to cut the rubber insert in the socket until it provided enough hold for the plug but not so much as to make the socket stay in the plug when trying to remove it. I then use the extension that best fits for the plug in question and start installing the plug with the socket and extension but first by hand. Once I can't screw the thing more by hand I use the rachet.

Hope this helps... no special tools required as you can see...

A lot of folks perform their own maintenance, I am positive others will chime in.
Old 06-18-2004, 07:14 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 98 Likes on 50 Posts

Deifinately attack this spark plug from below the car. Its much easier.

Just play around with your extensions (no pun inteded) until you get the correct length. Make sure to tape the SP socket onto the extension and all subsequent extension joints. The will help prevent them getting lost inside the engine tin. Also a telescoping magnet on a stick will help you sooner or later..

Hope this helps!
Old 06-18-2004, 07:29 PM
jonfkaminsky
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Arrrrggggg! I guess! I had just finished installing the lower plug wires, the rubber grommet in the sheild and ran the wires to the dist. Sounds like I may have to undo part of that to take the rest of the shield off. I should have though about the upper access before I reinstalled everything after doing the lower plugs.

Wachuko- thats one clean engine you have there.

Thanks for the help all!

Jon
Old 06-19-2004, 02:39 AM
Bill Wagner
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Jon:

Complain about the 964 all you want!!! On a the Mitsubishin 3000GT series you have to take the entire intake manifold off to get to the rear 3 sparks.

I'll take a 964 ANY DAY!!!

Quick Reply: Help! top spark plug #6 cyl, removal/replace