Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   964 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/964-forum-59/)
-   -   OFF TOPIC : my "new" daily drive :) essay (https://rennlist.com/forums/964-forum/139149-off-topic-my-new-daily-drive-essay.html)

ian c - u.k 06-10-2004 05:10 PM

OFF TOPIC : my "new" daily drive :) essay

1 Attachment(s)
been considering selling my mark 2 golf gti for a while .
while it was in the bodyshop being resprayed , i bought/used a 5 series bmw .
seems i got used to the comfort ;)

so i got the porsche cab for summer/weekends , felt i needed something more "luxury" than the golf to get my now old bones to work everyday .

my cab will give me all the driver involvement i need , and with the wind rattleing down the back of my neck , all the back pain i need too !!!
so i needed something more sedate for everyday use ( no point being rattled and shook all week , to be cosseted in the more refined 964 at weekends !!! it should be the other way round )

so , i been thinking rangerover v8 , big merc , big bmw , etc.
also considering converting to lpg .
my sister has an isuzu trooper 3.2 v6 running on lpg , drives superb , cheap motoring etc.
a good drive in that this weekend swayed me to buy another car while i convince myself that the old golf has gotta go .

then a twist of fate ................................
couldn't get to sleep tuesday night , was reading the local autotrader , looking at range rover v8's . spotted an ad in the back for lpg conversions ...........

then it happened !!!!
turned the tv on , a film was showing , "shooting fish" , the main carachters were driving an old rover p5 v8 coupe .............. interesting !!!

allways liked them since i saw one at tatton park classics show years ago .

this suddenly jolted my awake again , frantically scouring the house for classic car magazines in the hope of doing research !!!

only found 1 :( , they've all been replaced with porsche magazines !!!

finally got to sleep around 4am , 2 hours later i was on my way to work boring my half-awake boss stupid about the merits of a classic luxury car for work !!:cool:

by 10am wednesday i had been to the newsagents and was talking on the phone with a guy at yorkshire that had one for sale .
he had a buyer looking at that car at 7.30 that evening .
after thinking about these cars all day , i had talked myself , and most of my work collegues , into thinking that it was perfectly logical to drive a car the same age as me , with a 3500cc carbbed engine to work everyday !!! :rolleyes:

when i finished work , i had an hour or so "research" time on the internet before i found out if the car had sold .
my research consisted mainly of posting a question in the "cars+motoring" section of a car audio forum i visit , then doing nothing but finding pictures on the internet , and imagining myself driving around as a 60's dignitary , politician , secret agent , underworld boss etc.

then the bad news came , the car that was mine had been sold !!!!
dirty rascals .

frantic internet searching then ensured nothing else could enter my mind !!
i dont think i even posted on rennlist this day :eek:
i was on a mission !!!
i didnt just want one of these cars , i NEEDED one !!
(similar to when i bought the porsche)

at about 10 to midnight , i was on the phone to a rather bewildered cockney , asking him to walk round his car describing it to me !!

about 40 minutes later , i was studying pictures of said on my laptop, whilst talking on the phone , buying the car :)

i thought that would be the end of it , but no ............
another sleepless night , more sudying of pictures of "my" car , and still searching the internet to find obscure interior shots , so i can plan out the stereo install .

i cannot pick the car up for another couple of weeks due to prior arrangements , and i cannot wait !!

here is a picture of the car .
it is a 1969 rover P5b , 3500 v8 .

sorry for the essay , but now you all know why i have not been posting my ussual inane mutterings on this forum for the last couple of days !!

[IMG]http://www.muchos.co.uk/members/oettinger golf/p5b.jpg[/IMG]

ian c - u.k 06-10-2004 05:19 PM

:cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:
[IMG]http://www.muchos.co.uk/members/oett...olf/p5 f q.jpg[/IMG]

andrew964 06-10-2004 06:22 PM

Ian how long before the driving lights start to sprout machine guns?

ian c - u.k 06-10-2004 06:26 PM

i thought of it , but i'm just gonna keep my tommy-gun in a violin case . i'm old fashioned like that :)

Johnny G Pipe 06-10-2004 06:27 PM

What a strange story. Have you considered taking medication at all?
Cool car, though.

ian c - u.k 06-10-2004 06:29 PM

i see nothing strange in it !!!!
most of the things i own are impulse purchases . :)

Ruairidh 06-10-2004 09:34 PM

They are very cool cars - we had one when I was a nipper. Still one of my faves - great design and build, timeless style really - kinda like a 964!

Actually I was thinking about the old Rover 3.0/3.5 P5's earlier this week, the new Chrysler 300 has a look that reminds me of it (just without the build quality) - see http://www.chrysler.com/300/index.ht...epage&type=top

Ruairidh 06-10-2004 09:36 PM

Whoops - double post

k00k 06-10-2004 10:11 PM

I remember first laying me mince pies on these when I was just a saucepan lid. Very nice jam jar guvnor. Bleedin' luxury inside if I remember too when I had a Captain Cook. Reeks of the Sweeney. How many Ayrton Sennas? :D

cheers
Mal

garrett376 06-11-2004 02:37 AM

Originally posted by k00k
I remember first laying me mince pies on these when I was just a saucepan lid. Very nice jam jar guvnor. Bleedin' luxury inside if I remember too when I had a Captain Cook. Reeks of the Sweeney. How many Ayrton Sennas? :D

cheers
Mal

whoa, you guys have a different language down under!!! That was over my head!

:)

k00k 06-11-2004 02:59 AM

Hehe. Ian said he was buying it off a Cockney, so I just put it into something he could understand also. :)

Translation: I remember first laying me "mince pies" (eyes) on these when I was just a "saucepan lid" (kid). Very nice "jam jar" (car) guvnor. Bleedin' luxury inside if I remember too when I had a "Captain Cook" (look). Reeks of the Sweeney. How many Ayrton Sennas (tenners, notes, pounds)?

Cockney slang is from London actually, but I'm Aussie through & through. G'day mate. :D

cheers
Mal

Youcef 06-11-2004 03:16 AM

Ian, I like the carand it sure brings back memories as my Pop had one the same model but in a dark burgundy colour. It was a really nice car to ride in, full leather seats as I recall that were really firm and cold on a winter morning!

Youcef

Phil Raby 06-11-2004 03:51 AM

Ian, that's a lovely car, shame it reminds me of Margaret Thatcher ;)

FYI Chris Horton, editor of 911&PW is into old Rovers and has a supply of parts

Cheers

Speedraser 06-11-2004 04:12 PM

Very cool! Of course, I have the same engine in my Morgan, and it's been great.

ian c - u.k 06-11-2004 04:59 PM

Ruairidh
that chrysler looks ok !!!
you thinking of buying one ?

phil ,
i've decided i will be either the head of mi5 or a spy of some sort , or the city banker that secretly runs a gang of hardened , south london armed robbers / art theives.

at a push , harold wilson , but definately not mrs. thatcher !!!!!!!!!!!

the thought of you even thinking that is ruining my monochrome day-dreams :(

youcef ,
the one i saw years ago at tatton was burgundy !!!
think its the only car i've ever like in this colour .