Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   964 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/964-forum-59/)
-   -   Seat protectant for SUNNY days w/o top! ALSO NEED RECOMENDATION FOR MECHANIC NEAR ME (https://rennlist.com/forums/964-forum/139032-seat-protectant-for-sunny-days-w-o-top-also-need-recomendation-for-mechanic-near-me.html)

jasonbu64 06-10-2004 01:29 AM

Seat protectant for SUNNY days w/o top! ALSO NEED RECOMENDATION FOR MECHANIC NEAR ME

what are my best options to ensure that my cashmere leather doesnt crack and fade in the 100 degree blistering days of sunny Florida?

Also need a good mechanic all arounf guy here near Clearwater/Tampa....any body know anything?

Roygarth 06-10-2004 05:07 AM

A cleverly positioned towel?

jimq 06-10-2004 08:03 AM

I bought a cloth cover for about $65 out of a advertiser in Pano. Works great and folds up small. i even put it over the roof when i am at work to keep the sun from fading the canvas.

ckkrause 06-12-2004 02:49 PM

I have a targa top that is off, weather permitting, from mid-May until October... So I bit the bullet in put in sheepskin covers and even use a "sunbrella" at times... I periodically take them off and feed the leather..

-CKKrause

craig001 06-12-2004 05:07 PM

I have Wet Okole Seat Covers in my 944. I will be pulling them out when I make the move to a 964. They are neoprene and fabric, fit real nice, and the people are nice as well. I've contacted them about replacing the colored panels if black & red doesn't look good in a black & cashmere Targa. It's only $12 per panel to have them replaced. The one reason to not consider them is that the price tag is about $250. www.wetokole.com

jasonbu64 06-12-2004 08:55 PM

wow 250 thats no joke, thanks for the info
was possibly thinking about some of the furry sheepskins, although they may be a little 1984, I think they may get the job done, how does the leather do underneath all that fur? Does it get even hotter and more damaged with the cover on? My seats are alittle worn already and I would like to be able to go without replacing them, thanks for the info.

garrett376 06-12-2004 09:20 PM

For me, the top stays down all the time (even winter!) - I put on a car cover at the office (outside parking in the sun) and it goes in the garage at night. This works great - just wash the car every two weeks or so as it says nice and clean, and the sun is off the WHOLE car which helps. Plus, I put the top up and down fewer times, saving it from breaking at some point!

I am not a fan of seat covers, so I go for the car cover instead which protects the entire car in addition to the interior. Or you could just put up the top when you're not sitting in it!

Jay H 06-13-2004 12:55 AM

Originally posted by jasonbu64
was possibly thinking about some of the furry sheepskins, although they may be a little 1984, I think they may get the job done, how does the leather do underneath all that fur? Does it get even hotter and more damaged with the cover on? My seats are alittle worn already and I would like to be able to go without replacing them, thanks for the info.
I've seen cars that have had sheepskins on their seats their entire lives and the seats look new even after many years. I've been told that good sheepskins will help preserve the leather beneath them and should not harm them...

jimq 06-13-2004 09:00 AM

I have sheepskins on mine as well. Sure saves the back of the legs with shorts on when sliding in the car after sitting in the florida sun! The cover i was refering to in an earlier post just covers the interior when you are parked and attaches with velcrose. Also helps preserve the dash from the sun. Havent noticed any problems with the leather from the skins and they have been on a year.

ian c - u.k 06-13-2004 01:53 PM

mixing sheep with cows , are you not worried about starting a bse epidemic ?

garrett376 06-13-2004 02:02 PM

Originally posted by ian c - u.k
mixing sheep with cows , are you not worried about starting a bse epidemic ?
:)

ian c - u.k 06-13-2004 02:05 PM

just been searching but i cannot find it ;(
on ebay a while ago , were some seat covers , i'm sure it said in the description they were a porsche recaro option , bought new from the dealers !!!

jasonbu64 06-13-2004 07:40 PM

Thanks for looking if anyone runs across a set of good ones please let me know, and thanks again!!

Wachuko 06-14-2004 04:49 PM

In the Owner's Manual there is an option of a tonneau cover where you just unzip the driver side when getting back in the car... looked nice. I have not seen one outside that photo. Anyone familiar with what I am talking about?

For mine I keep the top up when at work, but was thinking of going with one of these:

http://forums.rennlist.com/upload/cover_copy2.jpg

jimq 06-14-2004 05:02 PM

That is like the cover I have. You can also get it water resistant. Mine is cloth and they made it the same blue as my top.