Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   964 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/964-forum-59/)
-   -   More engine pics.... (https://rennlist.com/forums/964-forum/137285-more-engine-pics.html)

Christer 06-01-2004 07:36 AM

More engine pics....

1 Attachment(s)
engine with intake in place, rocker covers off

Christer 06-01-2004 07:36 AM

1 Attachment(s)
and again from front...

Christer 06-01-2004 07:37 AM

1 Attachment(s)
and...

Christer 06-01-2004 07:39 AM

1 Attachment(s)
and dial gauge indicating 'lift on cams at TDC'

Andy Roe 06-01-2004 07:50 AM

Are they planning on cleaning it all once they are finished? The Fan etc..

Christer 06-01-2004 07:56 AM

Hi Andy

They offer a full cleaning/painting service which I have declined. I have never been one for that sort of thing, plus it would get dirty again very quickly!

Roygarth 06-01-2004 09:47 AM

Originally posted by Christer
Hi Andy

They offer a full cleaning/painting service which I have declined. I have never been one for that sort of thing, plus it would get dirty again very quickly!

I cleaned my engine bay yesterday! I spent ages wrapping cling film around the electrical connections, sprayed the gunk on, agitated the accesible bits, went back into the house to get buckets of water, washed it down, wiped it dry, stood back and.....guess what.......it looked no different....a complete waste of time! :mad:

John D. 06-01-2004 10:37 AM

Hey Christer..!!

GREAT pics!!! Thanks!! (and oh - my favorite part of the rebuild - setting the valve timing :eek: )!!!!!

Christer 06-01-2004 10:38 AM

and cam timing.....

As long as they hurry the hell up...!!:D

John D. 06-01-2004 10:41 AM

and cam timing........
Well - you'd be more "correct" CAM is right - but hey, it's early in the AM here - and this afternoon - I'll be finishing up pulling my engine (about 2 hours start to drop ;) )...

If I can get the parts - it should be running this weekend, so I've been following your thread/pics with a LOT of interest..!!

Thanks again!!!!

John

Christer 06-01-2004 10:58 AM

Yes, I have had some 'parts' problems myself, but I am assured all is there now so they just need to keep working as fast as they can. There has been some great weather recently so I am getting really bored not being able to drive (well something 'decent').

So what is happening with yours John?

John D. 06-01-2004 11:09 AM

Yes, I have had some 'parts' problems myself, but I am assured all is there now so they just need to keep working as fast as they can. There has been some great weather recently......
I agree - when the weather is good, and the P'car NOT running - it sort of sucks... Have you tried what I do? Sit in the car (without the engine) - and make "vroom - vrrrooommmm" sounds? I would think your mechanic would want to get rid of you from his shop after several hours of that, and it may induce them to work a bit faster just to get you "gone" ;) .. Heh!!!!

.....So what is happening with yours John?
The last day of a 3 day track event - I collapsed a lifter or two (I was running sessions back-to-back between the Instructors group and taking students out). Anyway - I'll be replacing all 12 of them. While "I'm in there" - doing the clutch, probably valve guides, seals, measuring out the P/Cs, rings, etc. However, it's not as complete as your rebuild, as I hope to not split the case...

My 993 has 120K miles - and it was kind of ignored by the PO - so I want to get after these items...

However - before getting my engine set to pull yesterday.....

I finally changed out Jen's rotors..!!
(Hi, Hadrian :bigbye: )

Bill Verburg 06-01-2004 06:25 PM

So what are the specs of the cams that you finally settled on?

Christer 06-02-2004 08:19 AM

Bill, i think they are 310's but with some slight tweaking due to clearances they are effectively 304 degree cams.

Having said that, it seems that the cam timing is taking longer than planned so.......aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrgh:mad: - as soon as they finish that the engine etc. can basically go back into the car....so now we are just waiting......

Mind you the Motec is installed so thats a bonus.

I am getting a bad feeling about collection this week.....:roflmao:

DonW-Cape Cod 06-02-2004 11:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
a 20 hour engine cleaning job on my 94 Speedster :)
BTW, if anyone knows of a 91-94 964 C2/4 Cab, any color combo as long as it's a Tip, please PM or Email me if you know. Already checking eBay. Thanks!

Roygarth 06-03-2004 04:43 AM

Originally posted by DonW-Cape Cod
a 20 hour engine cleaning job on my 94 Speedster :)

Don, looks great, how did you achieve this (apart from 20 hours!). To avoid hijacking this thread it might be worth starting a new one.

Christer 06-03-2004 07:29 AM

Just a further update.

We have a problem getting the cam timing right and the clearances. We don't know at this stage whether it is a problem with the cam grind or whether it could be something to do with the rocker covers apparently.

No car collection this week....at least I was right on that front.....DOH!

DaveK 06-03-2004 07:52 AM

Ah - well, guess I'm off to the motor show then. Still - the good news (for me) is that you won't get it Saturday either so I still get to come and see it.

Christer 06-03-2004 08:10 AM

Yes, that IS good news......:mad: ;)

DaveK 06-03-2004 08:16 AM

Look on the bright side. Eventually - when you do get it back - you will have THE 964, and we will all be jealous.

Christer 06-03-2004 08:32 AM

hmmm. yes that is the main reason for doing this. I remember now....and you will be all jealous of the bill as well....:eek:

nine64 06-03-2004 08:53 AM

Christer,
I miss out on what u doing to your car, can u direct me to your first thread regarding your car?
thanks
:cheers:

Christer 06-03-2004 08:57 AM

Originally posted by nine64
Christer,
I miss out on what u doing to your car, can u direct me to your first thread regarding your car?
thanks

there are several under 'upgrade' but here is one. I will do a full summary in a few weeks when everything is confirmed...

upgrade project

DonW-Cape Cod 06-03-2004 03:07 PM

Roygarth, I used Griots engine cleaner; engine degreaser; toothbrushes, micro-towels; and swabs. I put the rear of the car on jackstands so I could work w/o breaking my back. It was a "stress-relief project." ;)

John D. 06-04-2004 10:28 AM

.....whether it is a problem with the cam grind or whether it could be something to do with the rocker covers apparently.....
Hey Christer..!

Any update on what was/is causing the problem with the cam timing?? Also - did you use new OEM cams, or are they aftermarket and a custom grind?

Also DonW - anytime you'd like to come up to my garage - I'll get you started on my engine. You'd have full access - as it's in bits scattered around the garage - and the engine is now on the stand. Here's a set of pics when it first came out last evening (and yes - those are acorns in the engine tin:

Here is a slideshow of about 10 photos....

Christer 06-04-2004 10:37 AM

Originally posted by John D.
Hey Christer..!

Any update on what was/is causing the problem with the cam timing?? Also - did you use new OEM cams, or are they aftermarket and a custom grind?
Here is a slideshow of about 10 photos....

Hi John

Apparently it was some damaged screws on the rocker covers that were preventing a proper fit and throwing things off, but all is now well and the engine should be in by the end of the day. There does seem to be a problem with my larger injectors now (i am not even going to ask, but assume they haven't got any left...?) but strictly speaking I won't need them until the car is run in.....but it would be nice to get things right...

Having said that, I am very happy with 9M and the care they take with everything. Apparently, I might have some more pics this afternoon so i'll post them on a new thread.

Good luck with your project, and I like the LWF choice.....:cheers:

Christer 06-04-2004 10:39 AM

p.s. the cams are aftermarket and apparently the best 9M have found. They are long duration cams, and although I don't think these were custom grinds for this engine, they make them to any spec I think....contact 9M for more info I guess...

joey bagadonuts 06-04-2004 10:43 AM

What's Colin's number?! Perhaps we could all call and light a fire under this bloke! ... if that's the word.
:grr:

Christer 06-04-2004 10:51 AM

Hi Joey

I moan because I miss the car, and there has been some little screwups with stuff but you have to bear in mind that this is a totally unique custom engine build. I moan, but am very impressed with the attention to detail and level of knowledge.

Apparently, we are using Castrol RS 10-60W and the engine may well be fired up this afternoon for the first time. They want to keep it for a few days to make sure there are no leaks from anywhere (hoses and other ancillaries) now that the engine has good compression etc. - and of course they have to make sure the wheels don't rub anywhere. I can't pick it up next weekend, but if it is ready maybe I will pop up during the week - it's only 200+ miles each way....:(

Thanks for letting me rant and i will post more pics when they arrive...

John D. 06-04-2004 10:53 AM

....Apparently it was some damaged screws on the rocker covers that were preventing a proper fit and throwing things off, but all is now well and the engine should be in by the end of the day....
Hi Christer!

That's terrific news!! CONGRATS!!! I'm glad it wasn't the cam grind that was throwing things off for you. As well - my thanks for the info about the cams - honestly, I'm not sure what direction I'll take on that yet..

.....There does seem to be a problem with my larger injectors now...
Well - if it's not one thing - it's another ;) Look at it as "work in progress" - the good news is that you can drive it without the larger injectors until they come in :D (BTW: with the larger injectors, are they doing anything with the fuel pressure regulator to increase the delivery of fuel to the injectors? Maybe I should just wait until you do your final write-up ;) )

Looking forward to more pics of the install!!!! CONGRATS again!!

Christer 06-04-2004 11:03 AM

On the injection side, I don't think there is any change to fuel pressure - so I assume that it is more than adequate. And no, you don't have to wait for final write-up, it gives me something to talk about whilst I sit here with my thumbs up my......:D

red964.com 06-11-2004 09:55 AM

Patience My Good Man.
A good engine rebuild cant be rushed..

I think Christer may have some good news for you all very soon

Steve
9m

John D. 06-11-2004 10:59 AM

Originally posted by red964.com
....I think Christer may have some good news for you all very soon

Steve
9m

I hope so - my fingers are getting somewhat tired keeping them crossed for so long.. ;)

(BTW: Installed my engine late last night - maybe we can trade install woes??!! :eek: (I should have done the oil return tubes while the engine was OUT of the car - DUH!!! ) )...!!!

Myles 06-11-2004 02:35 PM

Front Pully

Christer,

From the pictures it appears that they have removed the front A/C pulley from the crankshaft. I'm assuming that with all the work that you had done, everything was balanced. When I rebuilt my motor last year I had the crank lightened and and all rotating parts balanced. At the time I posted a question about removing the front A/C pulley and was strongly discouraged from doing so because the harmonic balancer is sandwiched in with those pulleys. I argued that since everything was balanced I should not need to worry. I ended up leaving the heavy 3 pulley set up on even though I have only one belt on the motor now. I theorized that even if the assembly was balanced harmonicics could still damage the bearings and eventually the motor.

I would love to get rid of the extra rotating mass if it is safe. Did anyone from 9M explain this potential issue to you (if it is an issue)?

Myles

Christer 06-11-2004 04:30 PM

Myles

I don't have aircon. I presume that means I ddidn't have one...?

Wikkid911 06-11-2004 04:49 PM

Christer,

Have you got your car back yet???