Question for Phil Raby re: HID H4 install

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2004, 02:23 PM
GP964
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Question for Phil Raby re: HID H4 install

Hi Phil,

Installed my HID's on my H4 yesterday, read you article. I purchased somewhat similar items.

They were the HID for H4 system by Hella with Low/High actuators that move a cover on the bulb that shifts the beam of light.

With the system I got there was no need to cut a hole in the back of the headlight housing, everything fit.

My problem is that when I turn on the high beam the cover on the bulb that moves to shift the light comes in contact with the metal cap in the H4 headlamp. If you look inside the H4 headlamp assembly (the place where you put in your bulbs) you will see a metal cap held by 3 prongs. Did you have to do anything with this metal cap? did you cut it out?

Pls let me know

Thanks
GP
Old 05-26-2004, 04:41 PM
Phil Raby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi GP

Sorry for not spotting this thread. I've since replied to your email!

Cheers
Old 10-29-2004, 10:52 AM
jenskleis
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi GP and Phil,

Referring to the exchange above, could you please warn me if any adjustments need to be done to the inside of my lamps. And if so, what do I need to do.

I bought a HID kit from 9M Niemeister that I plan to install this weekend. I will use Phil's article as my guide.

Have a nice weekend!
Old 10-29-2004, 01:40 PM
warmfuzzies
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 10 Posts

Jens,

let me know how this goes please, I am very interested.

Kevin
Old 10-29-2004, 02:45 PM
emilios
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

GP964,

I am very interested in the HID kit you bought as it does not require cutting holes to the back of the headlight housing - do you have any details to share?

Jens,

we await your news with great anticipation!

Best regards

Emilios
Old 10-29-2004, 04:17 PM
jenskleis
Rennlist Member

Guys,

Bad news! The UPS man didn't pass by today, so I guess the HID kit will be here early next week.

As I will be traveling next weekend, it will be a little while before I install the xenons. However, I will be a good guinea pig and take lots of photos.

Let's keep our fingers (paws?) crossed and hope it does not end up as costly as my last project: I killed a $900-accelerometer by cleaning it...

According to Steve from Niemeister, I might be able to fit the kit without cutting the walls behind the lamps. Just in case, I already bought the cutters, paint, silicon and the rubber VW Golf gaskets Phil recommended. All set to go... only waiting for the goodies.

In preparation, I will clean the inside of the lamps with rubbing alcohol tomorrow.

Have a good weekend!
Old 11-09-2004, 04:35 PM
jenskleis
Rennlist Member

Hi guys,

Latest news. The xenon kit finally arrived this morning and I am looking forward to installing it. So far, I have only had a look and tried to figure out how the different parts fit together.

Good news is that the xenon bulbs do fit behind the headlamp, so there is no need to drill a hole for that.

Bad news is that the plugs on the wiring harness are too big to pull through the existing rubber grommets. So, holes need to be drilled anyway. One from each headlamp housing, and at least one from the inside of the boot.

Another challenge will be getting all the wires to the right place. The wiring is very short, and it will take careful planning to reach the lamps.

I will have another look tomorrow night, and will keep you posted.

Take care

Quick Reply: Question for Phil Raby re: HID H4 install