Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mass of Fredenberg DMF vs LUK

Old 05-12-2004, 10:00 AM
asbi
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mass of Fredenberg DMF vs LUK

Anyone got any idea whether the effective mass of the Freudenberg flywheel is more or less than the equivalent LUK item?

My new (to me) C2 appears slightly less responsive when blipping the throttle than my previous C2 and I am thinking that this could be due to it still having the original Freudenberg DMF vs my previous C2 which was fited with the LUK item.

Although the flywheel is quiet is it possible that it could in some way not be working correctly and imposing the whole mass with the clutch depressed?

Forgive my ignorance, I am still getting my head around this.

Car has 59k miles on it with no apparent flywheel issues,
Thanks,
kevin.
Old 05-12-2004, 12:02 PM
Arjan B.
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As long the weight of the LUK and the Freundenberg is the same, the engine will response just as fast with both DMF's

I have 102 K miles on it with a Freudenberg, and still going strong.........
Old 05-12-2004, 12:12 PM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

The two flywheels are identical in mass, dimensions etc.
I suspect there is something else that may be the cause. The most likely being different DME part numbers. aluminium versus plastic intake system something like that.
What model years are being compared here?
Ciao,
Adrian
964C4
Old 05-12-2004, 01:43 PM
asbi
Racer

Adrian,
Both cars are L series 1990 cars with Al induction systems.

My previous car had an OPC rebuild 10k miles before I bought it, my present car has had 59k miles of quite gentle driving over a 14 year period. Both cars have completely stock engine/exhaust/induction systems.

My previous car seemed a little faster and the engine was noticeably louder and more raucous than my present car. John Boggiano drove my previous car and felt it was comparable to his car which is chipped to 290bhp so maybe my previous car wasn't wholly standard.

Also I understand that the ECU is adaptive so maybe I just need to take it out and give it a spirited drive.

I have only has my present car for a week and am getting to know it, PPI checked out OK. It is almost concours and totally standard. I am going through the comparison phase which always happen when you go from one similar car to another!!!
Thanks,
Kevin.
PS Your book is in demand, I had to try three places before I could get my hands on one, the other places were temporarily sold out.
Old 05-12-2004, 02:35 PM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Dear Kevin,
Which places were sold out? I will pass on the information to hopefully get this corrected.
There is a difference between the engines here but I would have to say from your comments that your first C2 was not standard.
I was doing some comparisons today but 650 HP up your bum was hard to compare anything against it. The next time I drive this Sportec GT-2 it will have 800 HP and I will have it for a week. I cannot wait until the end of June.
Ciao,
Adrian
964C4
Old 05-12-2004, 10:33 PM
andrew911
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This may be a dumb question, but how long was it between driving the two cars? Sometimes you "remember" a car being faster than it "really" is compared to another car? Dumb question #2- both cars same body style? I could see an open car being a little slower (but not really noticible in response at low speeds), and yet feeling a little bit quicker with top down/off...

Adrian- Got your book as a birthday present (5/11 was my birthday), BUT- was purchased by my sister-in-law over the net on 5/11 or 5/10 (guess she's a last minute shopper )...now anxiously awaiting the arrival in the mail any day now! Also, I told someone who is rebuilding a 1993 964 cab like mine that was in a flood about your book- he said he was going to buy it too
Old 05-14-2004, 06:22 AM
asbi
Racer

Adrian,
I finally got hold of your book from Porsche Club GB.

The two other places that were out of stock were Amazon.co.uk and 911 & Porsche World (UK Porsche Magazine).

Amazon seemed a little vague, I think they maybe order the book in to specific requests and were quoting 4-6 week delviery. 911 & PW were out of stock and were expecting a delviery towards the end of this week but could not guarantee this.

Thanks also for your advice re: the car,
Hope this helps,
Kevin.
Old 05-14-2004, 10:01 AM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Dear Kevin,
Amazon.co.uk have had that message up for a long time. They get their books via Brooklands so it must have to do with them. Brooklands order by seafreight.
Ciao,
Adrian
964C4

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Mass of Fredenberg DMF vs LUK