Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do I really need to replace wiper arms?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2004, 04:58 AM
DaveK
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Do I really need to replace wiper arms?

I want to replace my wiper blades - not just the rubber blade, but the metal holder too.

However - I've seen a number of past posts saying you should also replace the arms - which I assume means the main wiper arm (i.e. the bit that actually moves left to right and is held on with a big nut just in front of the windscreen).

Does this really make a difference to the wipers (not sure what would have worn out?). And what is the cost?
Old 05-07-2004, 10:51 AM
Jeff Curtis
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Nope, it's usually a cosmetics issue when someone replaces them.

I always replace the whole blade though, metal "skeleton" and all. They are so darned cheap at Walmart (dunno what you guys have over there...Costco??) and Bosch wiper blade assemblies are sold at our Walmart!

Just for the board's info. I've ran into Porsche owners who seem to think that our wiper blades are something special - NOT!! ...Bosch makes an excellent replacement.

Dave, you can replace your arms if you desire, but to answer your question, it's not necessary...doesn't improve the wiper's job, unless they were bent up or something previously.
Old 05-07-2004, 11:10 AM
Gavin
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

New wiper arms make the car look good and the springs on the new arms are nice and strong to keep contact with the screen. I got mine from Hatfield Porsche, weren't that expensive.
Old 05-07-2004, 11:27 AM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My wiper arms were nasty and chipped so I wanted to replace them, Robmug had advised the 'double' spring version, which I ordered. I have to say that IF you do decide to replace the arms as well as the blades then this is the route to go...the difference in the rain was NOTICEABLE ! My cosmetic upgrade therefore became a highly functional one too!

<------$0.02

Quick Reply: Do I really need to replace wiper arms?