964 C2 gone and forgotten

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2004, 04:30 AM
Phil Raby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by Weissach

964s and 993 are getting old. They were high maintenance when new and more so now. I would say that they are more of a hobby car than a real transportation.
Damn, that's where I went wrong. Because I've used my 964 as daily transport , today it's only worth what I paid for it two years ago.

I'll buy a Ford next time and watch my investment plummet.

Last edited by Phil Raby; 04-01-2004 at 10:50 AM.
Old 04-01-2004, 10:40 AM
Nutbeem
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Getting old at 15 years? We're just getting warmed up!

I'd hate to be your parents - you'd have them in a home as soon as they had to go to the doctor...
Old 04-01-2004, 10:24 PM
JoeW
Pro

That's quite a statement! I wish I'd know that before I drove 200 miles today in a 5" rainstorm .... for a geriatric patient the car performed like it's in its second childhood. Maybe I should fix it a nice cup of hot broth. Joe W.
Old 04-03-2004, 01:37 AM
Ruairidh
Super Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I very much liked these words of John D. They explain, better than I can, why I cannot comprehend switching from a 911 to a Mustang. I especially would echo the line "If I have to explain it, you may not understand". But, again, to each their own.

"So what is it about the Porsche 911? Not just mine – but any 911? If I have to explain it, you may not understand. Perhaps it’s the sound of a flat-six. Or perhaps the ignition switch/key location, beckoning back to a bygone era of “running driver starts” at Le Mans. Or perhaps the way the doors close with a solid “thunk”, whether new, or now 40 years old, Porsche 911. Or perhaps it’s the way the driver becomes one with both the car and the road. Or perhaps it is the way it rewards a driver who learns its unique handling characteristics on the track. Or perhaps it’s the “look”, whether on the street, on the track, or simply at rest in the garage. Recognizable worldwide as the essence of what a “sports car is, was – and should be”, it is all these things embodied behind a Marque, model and legacy in sports car design and production. These things are inexplicable individually, but together – make the Porsche 911 unique in a world of “production” sports cars. Only one, the 911, has earned the title and characteristic of a true “sports car legacy”. And has for 40 years.

And finally;

Simply say the word “Porsche 911”. And you will know all the reasons “why”. Your inner spirit inexplicably understands - each time you hear the words, or see the shape, or reach for the ignition. It understands those things in the same way as any 911 owner has before. For over 40 years."
Old 04-03-2004, 02:31 AM
Speedraser
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That the 911 is CAR magazine's (500th issue) "best car of all time" speaks volumes about how special a car the 911 is.
Old 04-03-2004, 04:02 PM
Richard Talbot
Intermediate

Originally posted by DaveK
I can't help thinking that if you buy a 10-15 year old car and expect it to be 100% reliable, you are an idiot. And if you buy a Porsche and expect it to be as cheap to run as a mass produced family car, you are completely naive.

Yes - they are expensive to run, and I would prefer they were cheaper. But for me - and most other people who own them - the enjoyment of the car is payback enough. And since I can afford it, I would rather pay my expensive bills than have a cheaper / newer / more reliable car which I don't enjoy.
I totally agree although instead of "an idiot" I may have put seriously deluded
today after a drive to the shops I got to within 1 mile of my house and turned off for a 2 mile detour just so I could blast up a long hill ( keeping to the speed limit ) I have never done this sot of thing in any other car I've had, I am I alone in this behaviour ?

cheers
Old 04-04-2004, 03:19 AM
jchaley
Instructor

I have to think of a friend who had been racing a 944 and was looking to "step up". They were a good driver and wanted to run in SCCA as there were more racing opportunities. They purchased a Mustang Cobra with 5K miles and track prepped it to SCCA specs(I tried to talk them into a 911 or 944 turbo, but they were not classed well). In the end they were unprepared for the problems and maintainance the Cobra required. There were parts failures almost every race and things like brake calipers and rotors (they had to stay stock for the class) were shot after a weekend. Then handling was referred to as "the cow on skates" even thought they set several class lap records in the car. After two years of ownership the car was sold, and they were happy to see it go. It was worth 1/4 of what they paid for it and had spent more than twice the depreciation on maintainance in that time. They decided to build the 944 into the race car they wanted. The underlying decision came down to "If i am going to throw a lot of money away on a car I might as well enjoy driving it". I currently own 4 Porsches(72 911,78 911, 86 944 turbo and 91 964), I have found them to be very reliable. I do most of my own work and find them easy to work on compared to some other makes. I have owned many different makes of cars, but my Porsches remain the most enjoyable to own and drive.

john
Old 04-04-2004, 04:19 AM
warmfuzzies
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 10 Posts

Richard, you are not alone.....far from it.
I'm always thinking of excuses why I should pop out in the car, then go somewhere I hadn't intended, just for the pure pleasure of it, and that's enough for me.

Kevin
Old 04-04-2004, 02:22 PM
Jeff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Joey is right on the money -- I drive a lot of Mustangs -- I own a 993 and had a 964. Save your self some embarrassment and don't take an SVT or a GT on from a stop light. Wouldn't give up my p-car for anything and all of them have cost me a ton of $$$ -- still can't stay away from them.
Old 04-04-2004, 09:22 PM
wch
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

"Up until yesterday I had the misfortune of owning 2 money pit Porsche automobiles. I traded my 94 C2 Cab in on a 2004 SVT Cobra Mustang."

Congratulations on your new toy, do you have a link to pics?

"I have read every post on this web site and those on Pelican as well. I have had it with these over rated, overpriced toys. Parts made of unobtainium exotic metal that cost 4 times what they are worth. $10,000 engine rebuilds, $100.00 oil changes, $60.00 relays that cost $3.00 to make, $700.00 oil lines, $600.00 torsion bars, etc, etc."

This is supposed to be about fun - if the pain exceeds the joy, you just have to move on, as you have. "Overrated" and "overpriced" are in the eyes of the beholder; for the owners of some cars, a $10k rebuild would be a pleasant surprise. The internet is full of owners who moan and whine about their expensive toys. If the worst thing in your life is your car, consider yourself blessed.

"Crooked and incompetent alleged mechanics who are rude and overcharge you, or break something in attempting to fix another issue, and then deny the fact."

OK, so you're bitter. In my Porsche experience, I have dealt with honest and highly skilled mechanics who were friendly and charged fair value for their services. It takes years of experience and some rather costly tools to become an accomplished Porsche mechanic, so I'm not surprised to find them expensive.

I join the others in regretting your bad experience with Porsche. By today's sportscar standards, the car is too small, too unrefined, too light, underpowered and lacking in luxury car features. No doubt it costs more to maintain a 964 than to maintain many other cars. I drove my 964 today with the windows down and heat on so I could hear the engine better. If the car doesn't make you want to do silly things like that, you probably should buy something that does. Good luck.
Old 04-09-2004, 05:08 PM
jaybro
Intermediate

A 964 and you have torsion bars ?????
Old 05-25-2004, 01:57 PM
bikeaddict
Intermediate

Whatever floats your boat. I could see getting tired of the hassle and tatking the easy way. BTW, an SVT Cobra is not like anything you'd rent at Hertz. I twin cam supercharged V-8 mated to a six-speed tranny, you could put that in a shoebox and it would still feel good!

All that said, I would'nt trade my 964 for it, I owned airplanes before and am nowhere near my pain threshold.
Old 05-25-2004, 05:28 PM
vove
Burning Brakes

Sorry to hear you had a bad experience with your 964. Thats a lot of money you had to dish out for the repairs. I just cant believe you went from porsche to ford though.

I've been thinking about selling mine too, but everytime I drive her she makes me feel good about her again. So I'm going to keep her for a while.
Old 05-26-2004, 04:41 AM
jonfkaminsky
Racer

I think Larry is correct. It is a rip-off. We get ripped on parts and service bad. But if you love the marquee...you love it. I think the mustang is a fine car- and those hopped up saleen's even more- but I'd never own one- for purely emotional reasons.
Old 05-26-2004, 12:35 PM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by jonfkaminsky
But if you love the marquee...you love it.
Is this some sort of tent fetish thing?

Quick Reply: 964 C2 gone and forgotten