Warning about spray wheel cleaners

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2004, 10:41 PM
JoeW
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Those of you who show the cars (Jay, please?):

what do you use in the fender wells?

have you ever used -- do you like -- Black Again or those products?

have you found a way to get/keep the rear brake lights red?

Joe W.
Old 04-14-2004, 11:12 PM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Received 903 Likes on 532 Posts

For what it worth, I like black again very much.
Old 04-15-2004, 12:17 AM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Joe (and others):

I use Vinylex exclusively on all plastic and rubber on my car. I don't use much on wheel well plastic, just enough to touch up some dull stuff. I would just wash the plastic with soapy water if you drive the car and don't show it much. It doesn't take much driving to mess up a wheel well...

Vinylex is really a versatile product. Just my opinion, but a lot of the good local concours guys in my area also like Vinylex for just about everything. Kind of a 'standard' if you will. I've had the privledge of talking to some of the top concours guys in the country about concours issues and most use Vinylex. But, your mileage may vary...

Black Again used to be the sh*t (sorry for my crap language). Now it's a very poor product. I heard that the company that produced Black Again was bought out and the new company redid the formula. I've used the new stuff about 3-4 years ago and it's horrible...actually threw out the bottle. I've got one bottle of the true old formula stuff left (maybe 6 oz) and I'm hangin' on to it for dear life...

For plastic cleaning or polishing, a quick call to Larry at Car Care Online for his recommendation would probably be where I would start. A good plastic cleaner/polish should do the trick on tail lights.

Hope this helps,

Jay
90 964
Old 04-29-2004, 04:09 PM
wheelguy
Intermediate

The clear coat on your wheels is as delicate as the one on your fenders. Don't use any cleaners on your wheels that you wouldn't use on your fenders, hood etc. Once you put a protective coating on your wheels that won't melt off, you should be able to get all the dirt and brake dust off with car wash soap and water. I have my favorite... yeah, I work for them.
Old 04-29-2004, 09:13 PM
adamsbr
Addict
Rennlist Member

I think that Jay nailed it, I would also add 303 Protectant to the list, I use it on my tires. I am a Griot's Garage customer and have found their products to be top notch. Here is a site that does have some good info on detailing. BTW, pitch the Armour All.

http://www.properautocare.com/index.html

Quick Reply: Warning about spray wheel cleaners