Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Okay, you asked for it--Momo wheel installation made easy!

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2018, 08:01 PM
tjb616
Rennlist Member

Received 138 Likes on 106 Posts

Thanks jpar, that makes me feel much better.
Old 04-13-2018, 05:22 AM
Mezger
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks a lot, it all worked out flawlessly.
Especially the tip with the coke can!
Old 04-20-2019, 09:30 AM
Jibble
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to bring this thread up again....I still can't seem to get my horn to work. I have read just about every thread on momo/install/steering wheel---but perhaps I am just not as mechanically inclined as I thought.
This is for a 964 with airbag, upgrading to Momo Prototipo. Airbag bypass plug installed in center tunnel by passenger side.
Removed old steering wheel.
So...clockspring out, horn contact installed at 1oclock position. Momo hub goes on with top hole centered.
Then comes the metal ring that comes with the momo wheel, right? It has a tab that sticks out---some have said that the tab comes out toward the driver rather than the dashboard.
However with the tab facing out---it seems difficult to make the sandwich between the metal ring-steering wheel-horn button. The tab prevents the horn button from getting flush with the metallic ring with tab facing out (no problem putting them together if tab faces in).
I attached the spade wire from the momo hub to the single contact located on the momo horn button (I noticed some horn buttons have double contacts, mine does not).

Battery plugged in----no horn.

Any suggestions? Thanks all...
Old 04-20-2019, 10:01 AM
Sirenty
Rennlist Member

Received 331 Likes on 179 Posts

I’d have to take mine apart again to see about the tab, but for the horn, make sure the horn contact on the lever assembly is actually touching the hub ring.

I replaced my lever assembly and pushed it back on slightly further than it was before so those parts were no longer touching. Bent the arm slightly instead of moving the assembly and all was good.
Old 04-20-2019, 10:39 AM
Jibble
Intermediate

Thank you—yes I did check several times and it does seem that the horn contact is touching the copper ring on the hub. Difficult to confirm but by best estimation...

Originally Posted by Sirenty
I’d have to take mine apart again to see about the tab, but for the horn, make sure the horn contact on the lever assembly is actually touching the hub ring.

I replaced my lever assembly and pushed it back on slightly further than it was before so those parts were no longer touching. Bent the arm slightly instead of moving the assembly and all was good.
Old 04-24-2019, 03:25 PM
Jibble
Intermediate

Any other thoughts from others? I still can't seem to get my momo horn to work. Thanks!
Old 04-24-2019, 08:33 PM
18T_BT
Racer

https://rennlist.com/forums/928-foru...o-install.html
Old 04-25-2019, 08:31 PM
tct118
Rennlist Member

Jibble,

Did you try touching the spade connector (that goes to the momo horn button signal spade terminal) directly to the body of the hub (ground)? The horn should sound. If it does, then you probably have an issue with the horn button grounding spring hoop (brass color) not grounding right. It probably isn't making good contact with the momo retainer ring which is grounded.

Newer momo horn buttons have 2 spade terminals. One for signal, one for ground (instead of the grounding spring hoop).

Also, test the continuity of the horn button with a multimeter. One lead on the spade on the button, the other on the grounding spring hoop. The multimeter should beep when the horn button is pressed, which means the contact inside is good and your horn button is good.

Some pictures of your setup would be helpful as well. Hope this helps.
Old 04-26-2019, 09:34 AM
Bossing
Rennlist Member

Received 89 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Jibble
Any other thoughts from others? I still can't seem to get my momo horn to work. Thanks!
I had the same issues at first but after a couple of tries my Momo horn button worked (horn worked previously before install)... it was this horn adapter where I had to really, carefully, bend ALOT outwards the contact so it touches the hub well. Try it on yours... may take a few attempts.

From: https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...ll-help-2.html

My Momo horn button also looks like this from behind... that black spade wire was for power and that ring/circle thing is for ground after you pop back in the Momo button.

Pic is from Bill Ball's post: https://rennlist.com/forums/928-foru...o-install.html

I have the Prototipo 6C....

Old 04-27-2019, 04:48 PM
Jibble
Intermediate

Tct118 and Bossing----thanks for replies. I removed the wheel and started from scratch for the 100th time and documented what I have set up at this time:
I did use the multimeter directly to the horn just now---it does beep. However, when I had touched the power wire previously to the hub, the horn did not sound.

Edit post—-in between a bunch of expletives the horn finally decided to work. I am not sure what the missing item was.
But now I see one black plastic bits on the horn contact, it seems to be shredding part of the momo hub. Oh well!

thanks guy for all the help. Hopefully at least the pics below will help some other poor soul.

horn button alone, the brass wire at 1 oclock position seems to be the grounding contact (that same wire seems to run through the hole seen at 10 clock in the horn which is labeled ground

seems that grounding wire makes good contact with the hub ring which the horn is locked into (with steering wheel inbetween at final stage)

I bent the copper contact further---but seems plenty high. This goes in its position in the hole-slot at one oclock from the steering column without issue

the copper horn contact piece makes audible and visible contact with the momo hub

contact ring. The tab is not touching anything, and is pointed inward toward the Momo hub. Based on the fact that the whole hub ring makes contact with the momo hub---I believe unnecessary?

Order of: Momo hub-->hub ring-->Steering wheel--> Black hub wire to horn button.

I await further instructions! : )

Last edited by Jibble; 04-27-2019 at 11:40 PM.
Old 05-19-2019, 03:10 PM
Jibble
Intermediate

Hmm----so now that the horn is working, I noticed the past few times while out driving, my horn will go off intermittently when turning the steering wheel. If the steering wheel is turned to a more extreme angle to either side, the horn will go off relatively consistently.
My thinking is that this wire tab that connects to the horn (last picture in my post above) must be hitting the metal tab that points inward on the ring (2nd to last picture in my post above)--thereby resulting in the horn going off. What position should that tab in the 2nd to last picture be in? Should I push the tab to a certain angle? Is there something else?

Thanks all
Old 05-19-2019, 05:42 PM
LPMM
Drifting

Received 130 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Jibble
Hmm----so now that the horn is working, I noticed the past few times while out driving, my horn will go off intermittently when turning the steering wheel. If the steering wheel is turned to a more extreme angle to either side, the horn will go off relatively consistently.
It happened to me as well, a bit embarrassing that it would honk every time I made a left turn. Follow this advice and it will take care of your problem.
https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...l#post14992691
Old 06-01-2019, 10:42 AM
Jibble
Intermediate

LPMM- I didn't have a chance to fiddle with the horn until last night----the suggestion on the thread you posted did the trick! (I shifted the turn signal module back toward the dashboard by about 3mm and cleaned up the horn contact, which for some reason seemed to be shaving into part of the back of the momo hub. Hopefully the latter doesn't continue.) Thank you very much!
Old 01-04-2020, 03:59 PM
teamaerox
7th Gear

Can anyone help me?

i pulled of my wheel but dont know how it goes on.

want to remove only the driver airbag.

Greets from Germany!

Old 01-05-2020, 07:35 AM
teamaerox
7th Gear

Originally Posted by teamaerox
Can anyone help me?

i pulled of my wheel but dont know how it goes on.

want to remove only the driver airbag.

Greets from Germany!

in particular i dont understand that point:

Note: The 7004 hub is the correct part but the diameter is actually just a little big. The solution is to sand off some material from the collar halves to enlarge the opening---CAREFULLY-- so that they fit around the adapter. I used the sandpaper sheet wrapped around a coke can trick to trim it back.

what do i have to sand off? Does anyone have a pic?

Quick Reply: Okay, you asked for it--Momo wheel installation made easy!