Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Okay, you asked for it--Momo wheel installation made easy!

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2004, 04:58 PM
John52
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IMHO, the "bridge plug" (928.612.220.00) is the way to go. It was what the factory used for the Cup cars. Installation is simple and reversible. There is a carpet covered door on the passenger side of the centre console. Inside you will find a wide connector with an orange coloured tamper proof seal. Break the seal, pull the connector apart and insert the bridge plug. Both bags are now disabled (a good thing in my opinion). You do not need to mess with the wiring at the steering wheel, just tuck it away. On top of all that it is cheap. I can't find my bill but I know it was under $20 CDN so that should be about $10 bucks for you USA guys. I did have to wait for it to come from Germany which took about 6 weeks but your local dealer may have better luck.

l
Old 03-24-2004, 05:14 PM
RSAErick
Burning Brakes

Received 41 Likes on 1 Post

Originally posted by John52
IMHO, the "bridge plug" (928.612.220.00) is the way to go. .... On top of all that it is cheap. I can't find my bill but I know it was under $20 CDN so that should be about $10 bucks for you USA guys.
I have found it for US$30 (hey, the US$ isn't what it used to be!), so maybe that IS the way to go. Maybe I should disable the passenger side airbag too... although I kind of thought about keeping it activated for the passengers safety.

Thanks for the advice.

Erick
Old 03-24-2004, 09:31 PM
Ragin' Bajan
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mind the Gap

Hi Joey et al,
did anyone use the plastic column trim? I bought them, but there's a gap between the trip and the dash.

Mind The Gap (scroll down to the pics)

Has anyone else experienced this?
Old 03-24-2004, 10:01 PM
joey bagadonuts
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rajin,

I took a look at the parts in your link and couldn't figure out how to fit them. Can you use the Factory parts?

Below is a pictures of a 928 steering column with Factory collar (the 964 parts are more symmetrical). Again, the collar halves should surround the lower end of the Momo hub and will require some sanding to fit. BTW, I don't think the horn wire should be sticking out of the hub as pictured.

From Michael Brigg's installation hack.
Old 03-24-2004, 10:34 PM
Ragin' Bajan
Racer

Taking off the current parts and slapping on the factory piece is of course an option. As you say I'd just have to dremel the opening a bit to let the momo adapter to rotate within the pieces. BTW, the plastic parts I currently have installed (with the gap) have 964 part numbers on them. Will go scrounge around for the bill and include them here.
Old 03-25-2004, 11:58 AM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 63 Posts

The 928.612.220.00 number plug bridges the circuitry disconnects both airbags.

The location of the plug is shown on Sheet 15 of the 911 Carrera 2/4 Model '92 wiring diagrams in the factory manual.

It bridges terminals 3 and 4 in the T6 connector in the forward section of the center console, access door on passenger side. It is held with an orange clip.

With this plug installed the warning lights do not come on.

If you install this make sure any subsequent owner of car knows the airbags are disconnected or better yet, reactivate the airbags. Not fair for one to think they have airbags when they don't, and they may become rather testy if they find out the hard way
Old 03-25-2004, 12:03 PM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 63 Posts

One more thing, I installed the non-airbag car (1989 C4 parts in USA) plastic trim and I have a gap as well. I don't mind the gap, it looks better to me than the airbag style trim.

The airbag car has a longer steering column and there is no way around the gap unless you change the column as well.

Old 04-15-2004, 12:37 AM
RSAErick
Burning Brakes

Hi all,

I'm having a bit of difficulty with some of Joe's instructions:

"Step 5. The final piece to remove is the horn contact plate. It's a circular piece made of plastic and a flat copper ring. Basically, it allows you to turn the wheel without tangling or unplugging the wires in the hub. It's two more screws.

Step 6. Now, gently pull the wiring attached to the contact plate out from the dash. The horn and airbag wiring is sheathed in a rubber tube. Sliding it up will reveal the two plugs connected to the contact plate which you can disconnect to keep the plate intact. You will need to clip the airbag wire on the front of the plate to attach the 9516 tester. "

I am assuming that the "horn contact plate" is part number 928.652.211.00

I do not seem to be able to find the "two plugs connected to the contact plate which you can disconnect to keep the plate intact"... and thus can not disconnect the wiring!

Help!

Thanks.

Erick
Old 04-15-2004, 11:24 AM
John52
Instructor

Erick:
Just went down to the basement to pull my horn contact ring (928.652.211.00) off the shelf. The connectors in question are at the end of the wire attached to the back of the contact ring. There are three wires;blue, brown and brown/white enclosed in a black rubber sheath. The wire is at least 10 inches long. At the other end are the two connectors , one yellow, one black. Because of the length of this wire you may have fish down the steering column for the end.
Hope this helps
Old 04-15-2004, 01:32 PM
RSAErick
Burning Brakes

Aaaaahhhhh.... I see! And here I was trying to figure out how to disconnect the wires from the plastic contact ring. Whoops! I'll go check it out...

Thanks John. You saved me.

Erick
Old 06-09-2004, 11:39 AM
DanielB
Track Day

I just want to point out that part.no 928.612.220.00 works perfectly in my 964. I ordered it as 928.612.220.00, the sticker on the parts plastic bag said 928.612.220.00 but the part itself is marked 964.612.220.00.

Thanks a lot for the instruction, the installation went really smoth. I did not have to use a ground cable to make the horn work. The horn contact grounds via the spring wire comming out of the horn contact to the hub. Just connected the current from the cable mounted in the hub to the horn contact to make it work.
Old 10-11-2004, 01:54 AM
martinreinhardt
Advanced

This plug allowed me to removed the last piece of the airbag components.

I removed the following:
The Diagnositc Unit included the airbag wiring harness: -2 pounds, L +R crash sensors approx. -0.5 pounds , Driver + Passenger Airbags -11 pounds.

Thank you all for sharing the instructions and special thanks to cupcar.

Note: the engine won't start without the bridge plug when the diagnose unit is unplugged.

Here is a picture from what was under the dashboard:
Attached Images  
Old 04-24-2005, 10:58 PM
hjcarlin72
Instructor

Anyone have any comments about the DOT Legality of disconnecting the air bag. I live in PA which has State inspection. Does anyone know if a non existent airbag is grounds for not passing a vehicle inspection? I would love to do the MOMO swap but I was wondering what other problems I might be inviting.

Just purchased a 90 C2 and I am making a list of mods. Steering wheel is close to the top of my list if you think it is advisable. Thanks for your thoughts.
Old 04-30-2005, 12:20 AM
KLR
Rennlist Member

Look it up on your state DMV website. In NY state, the DMV website specifies that non-functioning airbags or a lit airbag light will NOT cause a car to fail. The inspection site is permitted to (but does not have to) mention to the owner that the light is on or bags are nonfunctional. NY state (and others, I would imagine) is very specific about this kind of thing -- shops that do inspections get into big trouble for trying to talk you into performing repairs after conducting a state inspection that are not required to pass state inspection. There is a specific list of other things (like CV joints) that fall into the category of things that can be mentioned to the owner but not cause a car to fail.
Old 04-30-2005, 01:27 AM
bhensarl
Jarhead
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by joey bagadonuts
You're welcome. I think if you can add some pics we can then offer the complete hack to John Miles for inclusion in his tech section.
AND....
We can also add it to the Rennlist DIY section! Thanks for a great write up, Joey.
Brian

Quick Reply: Okay, you asked for it--Momo wheel installation made easy!