Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Future date/ Back date/ 964 Transformation

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2020, 09:28 AM
LimeyBoy
Rennlist Member

Received 212 Likes on 126 Posts

Been following along, thanks a lot for sharing. It is absolutely stunning......
Old 07-06-2020, 04:29 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 486 Likes on 279 Posts

Just stunning, and we’re all so happy for you. Great vision and the right team to make it a reality. What a journey so far, but the fun is only just beginning. Time to drive!

Last edited by 911Jetta; 07-07-2020 at 05:09 PM.
The following users liked this post:
9SIX4-C4 (07-08-2020)
Old 07-07-2020, 05:05 PM
luv2race
Rennlist Member

Received 454 Likes on 226 Posts

fantastic! congratulations!
Old 07-07-2020, 10:35 PM
GentlemanRacer
Rennlist Member

Received 251 Likes on 139 Posts

Thank you all for the kind words and support. 3 years of planning and 1 year of execution. It been a long journey, but I am thrilled that taking the time before it all started, made a big difference to the outcome. I could not be happier.

The car is taking a little longer that expected to get to me, so I am hoping for end of this week. I would love to get it out on the road by mid week and get some true out in the wild pictures. Once it arrives, I will be doing a bit of suspension work on the front wheels likely some castor adjustment and then cutting down the bumper/fender inner edge to fix the front tire rub. I will dial in the ride height and then spend some time over the week adjusting suspension settings, and alignment. My local race shop and friend allows me to use his stuff, and besides its time I get my hands dirty. I learned a lot about suspension geometry from the race cars over the years, so finally something in my wheelhouse.

I will have my notebook out during the next month of driving, as I need to plan for the interior refinishing which I will be doing in the fall. The recaro sportster seats will be installed in the next little while to finish out the modern touch. I have attached a couple of pics of the interior, but this is far from finished.

The following 2 users liked this post by GentlemanRacer:
911Jetta (07-08-2020), 9SIX4-C4 (07-08-2020)
Old 07-11-2020, 06:52 PM
GentlemanRacer
Rennlist Member

She came today! Overjoyed and beyond my expectations. I will post more when she is out on the road.

The following 4 users liked this post by GentlemanRacer:
911Jetta (07-15-2020), dukmon (07-15-2020), pburt03 (05-03-2024), Sirenty (07-11-2020)
Old 07-11-2020, 08:52 PM
Greg Wolfe
Rennlist Member

Received 543 Likes on 277 Posts

Woooohoooo!!!! Sounds and looks great! You must be on top of the world! Can't wait to see what you do with the interior.

Mr. Wolfe
Old 07-11-2020, 09:32 PM
GentlemanRacer
Rennlist Member

Greg, I have a general idea of how I want the final product to look, so I am going to take my time over the next few weeks and enjoy the car. I have this notebook that I have been writing all my thoughts and ideas into for the last few years, and I need to distill all of that into a more cohesive plan. There are certain things that can only be decided while I am actually using the car for eg, just driving the car around the building I realize that the position of the steering wheel needs to be closer to me, so will have to add an extender, probably something like your quick disconnect. I also know that the interior will not stay black. I was ambivalent before, but with seeing the car in the evening, as well as bright sunlight, black will not suit my taste for this car.

As for the sound, it is very nice, with a low grumble and a higher pitched snarl. I think Udo and Sirenty are correct and I may want a little more sound, so I may consider the 100 cell or sport cat later on.
I cannot wait to drive it. It is being stored in my friend's shop and on Monday we will be putting it up on the hoist to start attacking the suspension. Need to get that front rub sorted, add a Rothsport steering rack brace and then do an alignment.

I will post as it happens during the week.

Last edited by GentlemanRacer; 07-15-2020 at 11:59 PM.
911Jetta (07-15-2020), Breitling747 (07-12-2020)
Old 07-12-2020, 08:20 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,295 Likes on 1,357 Posts

Congrats and many happy, healthy miles.
Old 07-14-2020, 06:22 PM
GentlemanRacer
Rennlist Member

Thanks Anthony.

My first update after having the car for 3 days. Unfortunately it isn't a good one to report, but I guess its a standard old car story.

The car arrived in Toronto and we tucked it away in the shop. I didn't want to drive it because of the front rubbing. So Monday morning as we were driving it from its spot to the hoist (about 30 feet) the fuel just emptied onto the floor. We quickly shut the car off and waited until we couldn't detect any more fuel leaking. We let it sit for a few hours and then put it on the hoist. It appears that the leak is coming from a line above the starter - yeah I am imagining my first drive could have literally gone up in flames! So tomorrow a whole number of parts need to come off to reach in there, as I can't see the line from above.

While the car was on the hoist, I noticed that oil was leaking from the front right undercarriage at the bumper. Maybe a connector or gasket or worse. Bumper will come off tonight to try to see what that is.

There is also a leak from the drivers side of the steering rack. It isn't a seepage, its actually kinda leaking. I have no idea what this means so please chime in!

On the bright side, the transmission isn't leaking!

We spent the day dealing with the rubbing. We first measured the wheelbase as front wheel didn't sit at all proportionally within the well. The wheelbase was longer by 12 mm than in a regular standard 964 as stated by Porsche AG. Then we loosened all the components of the front dampers and the lower connections and found that the dampers were not put back in at the same spots at the top mounts as the OEM car. In addition the dampers were turned in a way that forced the control arm a but forward. By loosening all the components and releasing the tension, we turned the dampers into their correct position and it was easy to move and tilt the shocks rearward and voila - wheelbase returns to normal and no more rubbing! I am kinda disappointed in Coachwerks as they really wanted me to give them a chance to install the suspension, which they said was going to be a breeze. And now I end up having to correct it. I guess that is on me. Regardless, I am moving forward and looking for the positives. The car was sitting too low and so it will be raised between 7-10 mm, maintaining the rake and now we can dial in the camber and toe for street driving.

I had an inspection and PPI done at the garage and CoachWerks when the car was originally got there and there was no leaking whatsoever. They tell me it was road tested for half a day before it was shipped to me last week. I guess I am finding it a bit hard to believe all these issues just suddenly arose. Am I missing something or is this just bad luck?

Welcome to my new old car!
The following users liked this post:
911Jetta (07-15-2020)
Old 07-14-2020, 10:48 PM
titleistaddict87
Three Wheelin'

Received 127 Likes on 105 Posts

I would be quite displeased at this. Hopefully you get some sort of refund. Paying full price should get you exactly what you asked for, which is competent and well executed work.
Old 07-15-2020, 02:01 AM
ForeverCar
Burning Brakes

Received 454 Likes on 199 Posts

Sorry to hear. If you haven’t already, definitely have a calm chat with coachwerks. Best of luck. In the end, hope you’ll look back and see this and minor bumps along the journey.
Old 07-15-2020, 09:42 AM
Metal Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 430 Likes on 310 Posts

Congratulations on the completion of a fine looking project.
It's hard to find shops that are conscientious and know what they are doing.
Old 07-15-2020, 03:34 PM
GentlemanRacer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Metal Guru
Congratulations on the completion of a fine looking project.
It's hard to find shops that are conscientious and know what they are doing.

Hi Paul,

Thank you. CoachWerks did a very good job on the bodywork. I think it achieves the desired look.
Old 07-15-2020, 03:58 PM
GentlemanRacer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ForeverCar
Sorry to hear. If you haven’t already, definitely have a calm chat with coachwerks. Best of luck. In the end, hope you’ll look back and see this and minor bumps along the journey.
Originally Posted by titleistaddict87
I would be quite displeased at this. Hopefully you get some sort of refund. Paying full price should get you exactly what you asked for, which is competent and well executed work.
Hindsight always provides clarity and it will here as well. I was certainly disappointed as I was patiently waiting to drive this car and this wasn't the way I wanted the first experience with the new/old car to go. It is an inconvenience that I did not expect or want to have, but we are keeping the dialogue channels open to figure it all out. I have to be patient. I am surrounding myself with competent guys, and the advice and help on this forum has been exceptional. So many of you have PM'd me with amazing support! I love being a member here.

Since my build is called a future date - let's look towards the future and get this baby on the road!
911Jetta (07-15-2020), BLACK3.2 (07-15-2020)
Old 07-26-2020, 04:17 PM
GentlemanRacer
Rennlist Member

It has been a while. The car is still up on the hoist. The fuel line issue has been fixed with a new connector. The oil cooler has been replaced with a new one and the oil has been changed. New brake fluid flush and the suspension is aligned.
The steering rack is being replaced so hopefully the car will be off the hoist and on the road this week. When its all done, I will have to have send some beers to my local shop for "basically lending me a hoist".

So so clean.

Quick Reply: Future date/ Back date/ 964 Transformation