Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Your opinions on Snapgap - new product for valve adjustments

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2022, 08:33 AM
No_snivelling
Burning Brakes

Received 209 Likes on 138 Posts

I think the existence of the Kirk tool, the Stomski Racing tool, the Snapgap tool and various other tools that attempt to measure the angle of rotation of the adjuster screw proves that many of us find the process of getting the exact right clearance to be difficult and time consuming. I did mine the old fashioned way and decided the next time I will try Snapgap.
Old 07-18-2022, 03:55 PM
bricem13
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Seriously considering snapgap any long time user to chime in and report experience?
Old 07-19-2022, 02:20 PM
dmaddox
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 96 Posts

I've used SnapGap, wrote a review. It is stupid easy to use, takes any guesswork out of the equation. Two notes to take seriously.
1. DO NOT over torque the set screws on the units themselves. Follow the instructions, if anything 1/4 turn over recommended.
2. SnapGap works perfectly assuming your valve adjustment screws are in great shape. I've noticed that on more occasion than one, valve adjustment set nuts are over torqued, effectively stretching the threads on the adjuster. This is bad and renders the snapgap useless - because when you got to set the actual snap gap piece and torque the set screw (in #1) it will not properly "grab" the threads (because they are jacked up). You can (as I did in a pinch) use a thread correction nut (basically a die you can put over the threads and fix any issue).

I did a write-up when I snap gapped my 2.0 here: https://www.early911sregistry.org/fo...=1#post1089972

The following users liked this post:
No_snivelling (07-20-2022)
Old 07-19-2022, 03:22 PM
s65e90
Race Car

Received 886 Likes on 599 Posts

Originally Posted by dmaddox
I've used SnapGap, wrote a review. It is stupid easy to use, takes any guesswork out of the equation. Two notes to take seriously.
1. DO NOT over torque the set screws on the units themselves. Follow the instructions, if anything 1/4 turn over recommended.
2. SnapGap works perfectly assuming your valve adjustment screws are in great shape. I've noticed that on more occasion than one, valve adjustment set nuts are over torqued, effectively stretching the threads on the adjuster. This is bad and renders the snapgap useless - because when you got to set the actual snap gap piece and torque the set screw (in #1) it will not properly "grab" the threads (because they are jacked up). You can (as I did in a pinch) use a thread correction nut (basically a die you can put over the threads and fix any issue).

I did a write-up when I snap gapped my 2.0 here: https://www.early911sregistry.org/fo...=1#post1089972
I think the Stomski looks just as easy/nicer and no shims. But this looks like a good product and easy/ can't really mess up. That said, I am from LI too, I enjoyed reading through the rest of that thread and the carb tuning. Good stuff.
The following users liked this post:
dmaddox (07-19-2022)

Quick Reply: Your opinions on Snapgap - new product for valve adjustments