964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Your opinions on Snapgap - new product for valve adjustments

Old 07-18-2019, 12:01 PM
No_snivelling
Pro

Received 197 Likes on 128 Posts

Very clever, but I would be somewhat worried about metal fatigue causing the shim's tab to break off and wreak havoc on your engine. That tab is free to flex given that it is only 0.1mm thick.
I wonder if Snapgap has done any fatigue testing.
Old 07-18-2019, 03:06 PM
Walt
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

In the video the tab is snapped off after installation. An interesting tool but a bit too expensive for something a typical home mechanic might use every few years.
Old 07-18-2019, 03:24 PM
No_snivelling
Pro

Originally Posted by Walt
In the video the tab is snapped off after installation. An interesting tool but a bit too expensive for something a typical home mechanic might use every few years.
Which video? That makes me feel a lot better about this system but I agree, its pretty expensive.
Old 07-18-2019, 07:02 PM
Walt
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The one on their website.
https://snapgap.us/pages/snapgap-installed-on-911
Old 07-18-2019, 07:15 PM
No_snivelling
Pro

Thanks Walt. The earlier posted videos did not include the detail of snapping off the tab. I think this system is pretty cool. It looks foolproof and accurate. Only issue for me is price, but hey, it might look good under the tree this holiday season.
Cheers,
Old 07-24-2019, 11:16 PM
SNAPGAP.US
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hello,

SNAPGAP is a new vendor member of the Rennlist Forum. It looks like some of you discovered us already. This email is just to introduce us. We developed, patented and are selling a new method and tools to adjust valves in engines with shaft mounted rockers. Our first product line was developed specifically for air-cooled 911s and is available at SNAPGAP.US. At the site, you can click on a 3 minute animation video in the banner that explains “How and Why SNAPGAP Works.” There is also a 3 minute video demonstrating installation on a 911 engine.

SNAPGAP was developed to allow accurate, easy and fast valve adjustments with the engine in or out of the car. It is designed to eliminate the inaccuracies introduced by the “touch” needed for a good feeler gauge adjustment, the final tightening of the OEM jam nut and any wear “cupping” of the elephant’s foot or valve stem tip. The tools also allow you to get around most of the cramped conditions you would normally encounter, including intake valve #6 – which can be adjusted with one hand using SNAPGAP.

As with any new product, we expect and welcome comments and questions.

SNAPGAP.US
The following users liked this post:
Jon Hansen (02-05-2020)
Old 07-25-2019, 04:47 AM
MA7008O
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by SNAPGAP.US
Hello,

SNAPGAP is a new vendor member of the Rennlist Forum. It looks like some of you discovered us already. This email is just to introduce us. We developed, patented and are selling a new method and tools to adjust valves in engines with shaft mounted rockers. Our first product line was developed specifically for air-cooled 911s and is available at SNAPGAP.US. At the site, you can click on a 3 minute animation video in the banner that explains “How and Why SNAPGAP Works.” There is also a 3 minute video demonstrating installation on a 911 engine.

SNAPGAP was developed to allow accurate, easy and fast valve adjustments with the engine in or out of the car. It is designed to eliminate the inaccuracies introduced by the “touch” needed for a good feeler gauge adjustment, the final tightening of the OEM jam nut and any wear “cupping” of the elephant’s foot or valve stem tip. The tools also allow you to get around most of the cramped conditions you would normally encounter, including intake valve #6 – which can be adjusted with one hand using SNAPGAP.

As with any new product, we expect and welcome comments and questions.

SNAPGAP.US
Yesterday, I ordered a set.

I will try to get back with comments once I used it.

jlmartin94 (07-26-2019)
Old 07-25-2019, 05:38 PM
A914MAN
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Looks interesting. I wonder how many guys will drop the snap off tab in their engine. I'm an old school kinda guy that wouldn't be interested in changing valve train components, so it's not for me.
Old 01-17-2020, 03:50 PM
JGPierce
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just did a 100,000 mile tune-up on my 1991 964 C4 and did the valve adjustment with the SnapGap kit. It's foolproof, fast, and easy to use. Total time to complete the valve job once the valve covers were off was about 25 minutes.

The math behind how it works is spot-on with a very accurate way to obtain the 0.1 mm gap. Brad is the owner of SnapGap and couldn't have been more helpful. Amazing customer service.

https://snapgap.us/collections/front...nt-kit-for-911

Last edited by JGPierce; 01-17-2020 at 05:49 PM.
Old 02-02-2020, 04:08 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

Hmm interesting product - but this strikes me as a solution for a problem that does not exist - I have used the feeler gauge method for decades, and it's quick, easy, accurate and cheap.

That being said, I am sure there is a market for this -- hence a few questions:

- Can you get that 10nm torque wrench into cramped quarters?
- Now do you have two possible points of failure to have the rocker arm adjustment come loose, the main 10nm nut and the little allen key, or once the 10nm is applied it does not matter?

Cheers,

Mike
Old 02-03-2020, 09:29 AM
Navaros911
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

Interesting product and at first I didn't understand how it works. Then, watching the video explaining how it works, it surprised me how simple it actually is.

All that said, I'd like to see how easy it is to do a readjustment with the system already installed. Removing the shims etc.

Doing they with the engine in the and the exhaust in place, filming and timing it to get a fair comparison. You can't talk about 4 hours of time for an adjustment as charged labor time and then compare this to 20 minutes once the rockers are off, with this system installed. I never remember the valve adjustment to take a lot of time compared to taking all this stuff off.

Then there is the element of how long it has been tested. One year on a car that is driven a bit is nothing compared to what the old system has proven. So for me that does not hold too much value.

Time will tell and some more real-world feedback will put my mind at ease.

I can see myself as a future customer for sure. And I'm grateful people and companies invest their time in bringing products to market for our cold cars.
Old 06-29-2022, 09:07 PM
Kaikane40
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

I am a weekend warrior mechanic, if I have the time, its quick I will do it. If it takes a while, lots of fiddling then I will farm it out to my local shop.

The SnapGap is perfect for a guy like me, reasonably mechanically inclined with not a lot of free time. If I can have a fool proof, make it fast, way to ensure I correctly adjusted the valves then the price is worth it. If I take it to my local shop its $1000 in labor so the way I see it if I can change my oil, adjust the valves in 90 minutes or less, then its a no brainer. Since the valves need to be adjusted when the engine is cold, I plan to drain the oil the night before, then in the morning do the valve adjustment. I just ordered the SnapGap and will report back for those interested.

Cheers,

Phil
Old 06-30-2022, 09:32 AM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 787 Likes on 401 Posts

It’s not really difficult to adjust the valves the old way. It’s scary the first time, but after that you realize it’s pretty darn easy. I also wouldn’t want 12 shims in my engine; only takes one getting loose to cause issues.
TripleD513 (06-30-2022)
Old 06-30-2022, 10:58 AM
s65e90
Drifting

Received 719 Likes on 497 Posts

Why add more parts to the engine that aren't needed? Doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.
Old 07-01-2022, 05:50 AM
newsboy
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Long Feeler Gauge and VAS screwdriver.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Your opinions on Snapgap - new product for valve adjustments