Sponsored by:

Replace just the center tunnel carpet panel

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2019, 06:29 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts
Default Replace just the center tunnel carpet panel

I'm getting ready to spruce up my dad's 964. He's owned the car for over 20 years and I've finally convinced him to do some updates.
It's getting new wheels and lots of suspension bits. We'll also be working on the interior.

Quick question, can just the center tunnel carpet panel be replaced. Previous owner glued/siliconed something to the panel, so we're going to replace it.

It seems as though the other panels are glued over this piece? Do I simply partially pull back the neighboring panels until I have full access to the center tunnel piece, then install the new panel and reglue the neighboring pieces so everything is flat and secure again.

I don't have access to a 964 right now so I'm only going by pictures. Your help and guidance is appreciated!

Here's a picture of the damaged panel: (BTW, new floor mats have also been ordered).

The transformation has begun. Roll bar added. Cup 1 reps replace D90s. New suspension, exhaust and other parts will be installed soon.
Old 07-08-2019, 09:09 PM
azander
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Pictures aren't showing up on my end. Is it the forward tunnel section (964-551-023-00-5FV), or rear tunnel (964-551-055-00), and is it 5FV black ? If the front section, yes, the neighboring carpet overlaps the front tunnel section. The front part number, 964-551-023-00-5FV, has a price listed on the sunset search, but like most of these it could be NLA. Rear seems to be NLA.

Southbound Trimmers (not affiliated, I'm just happy a happy customer) has the individual carpet sections listed in their catalog and they are spot on copies, IMO. I'd request a sample to see how the new sliverknit carpet matches.
Old 07-08-2019, 09:12 PM
Navaros911
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

+1 on Southbound trimmers. Exact match of materials with a few samples from their end.
Old 07-08-2019, 11:14 PM
cjoenck
Rennlist Member

Received 71 Likes on 60 Posts

Couple of thoughts... The new piece will always look a little off because the rest of the carpet will be a little faded etc. You can most likely pull the old carpet back because the glue holding the carpet is probably crumpling after 20+ years.

Have you thought about a really good steam clean / extraction? You will be surprise how much stuff you'll be able to get out of the carpet.

Or replace the whole set.
Old 07-09-2019, 12:53 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 567 Likes on 339 Posts

Sliverknit is easy to cut for yourself using the removed piece as a template. The real problem is finding an exact carpet match, if it’s not black. I have marine blue in my car. I found a few metres of nos and it was a perfect match, but I needed more so changed to the new version which took months to source and it wasn’t the same so I did the whole car. If it’s black you have a fighting chance. If it’s another colour get a new set and be prepared to wait.

my thread https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...refurb-69.html
Old 07-09-2019, 02:21 AM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Don't know what the issue is with the pictures, will try again... (I see the images on my laptop, but not phone)

Thanks for the help so far, and the panel #s.
It's cashmere, so fading will be an issue but it's also between the seat in the back, so maybe not as noticeable.
Might be a good opportunity to cover it with a big Porsche crest...

Getting used the the roll bar he wanted installed.

Looks so different now that the D90s are gone.

Getting new suspension, steering rack brace, Rennline HD ball joints, Elephant Racing tie rod kit, exhaust bypass, and some additional interior bits.
Should drive like a different car when he gets it back.

Old 07-09-2019, 09:05 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

No doubt the suspension bits will completely transform the car.

As far as the carpeting, being a vert the carpet is likely faded throughout the car unless it was covered. Vert interiors see a significant amount of UV and dust which unfortunately takes its toll on interior carpeting and leather. Changing one piece will make it stand out like a sore thumb. I would recommend sourcing new carpet and replacing nearly everything.
Old 07-09-2019, 10:21 AM
-nick
Three Wheelin'

Received 104 Likes on 80 Posts

The sliverknit doesn't seem to fade much in the sun. My cab's cashmere carpet is pretty identical to new cuts that I have (at least to my eyes). Those rugs look really dirty though. I would pay for an intensive interior detail and see how it comes out. If the silicone is on top of the carpet, there may be a way to remove it. The center carpet piece is glued in very well and will be a pain to replace on its own.

Enjoy the cab!

ps- I've got an extra working cassette holder if that one is broken. Cheap
Old 07-09-2019, 11:00 AM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the comments guys. The wealth of knowledge and experience in this forum is so beneficial, without this resource I probably would have rushed in and planned on ripping out panels... Glad I asked.
I'll get some local PCA recommendation for area auto detailers that might be able to work some magic on the interior.

Nick,
Yeah, I had a good chuckle when my dad sent that picture with the broken cassette holder. I'm going to replace it a storage tray, and clean up the interior with some other new bits and coco mats.

Quick Reply: Replace just the center tunnel carpet panel