Japanese 964 Import Help

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2019, 10:34 AM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Dingo
Sorry to butt in here and I dont wanto hijack the thread but are you talking about the one that goes into the japanese cat? If so does it matter? I've installed a cat bypass on my car and I just disconnected the probe.
I don't know, have not yet had the opportunity to look at the EPROM from a Japan'spec ECU. And I never found any documentation from Bosch describing operating behavior other than what was in the Porsche workshop manuals. There has to be some additional documentation that PAG would have published for their importer in Japan but I have not seen it. It really depends on how it was used. Do they switch between the three warm-up cycles based on the temp in addition to CHT? Is it continuously monitored to adjust fuel or timing to keep the cat at operating temperature? or to make sure it doesn't get too hot? I am assuming it uses the same a2d channel as the pressure sensor input on the early ECUs. I will see if I can track down an EPROM image.
Old 06-19-2019, 03:24 PM
Supersonic964
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Vegas993
The guys at https://azeuros.com have imported some Audis from Japan and one of them is a 964 owner, give them a shout.
Spoke to Chad over at AZEuros. He's the guy with a 964. Lets see what happens.
Thanks for the post.
Old 06-19-2019, 03:25 PM
Supersonic964
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 2swoosh
Sent you a PM OP and good luck hopefully he can assist you.
Thanks for the PM!!
Old 06-19-2019, 03:31 PM
Supersonic964
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Brig993
Theres a place in VA called Japanese Classics they specialize in importation of JDM cars maybe they can assist you. I know two people who bought cars from them and had good things to say about them.
Its a no go with Japanese Classics. They only import stuff they want to sell. They are not interested in importing any Porsche.
Thanks for the post though!!
Old 06-19-2019, 03:34 PM
Supersonic964
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Railmaster.
Is it sold new in Japan? If it's a LHD car it may have been registred in another country before it came to Japan.
"Is it sold new in japan" As in a new 964? That doesn't exist
Don't have much info on the car or its origin. Looks like it was made specifically for the JDM market.
Thanks for the post.
Old 06-19-2019, 04:48 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 259 Posts

maybe some folks in this thread can help.

https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...-in-japan.html
Old 06-19-2019, 05:18 PM
phil_m
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Supersonic964
Spoke to JBarnesRS...He bought his imported 964 from Jeff Smith. Smith Motor Cars. Jeff only does cars he sells.
So I'm out of luck there.
JbarnesRS mentioned a ROI to help with paperwork and Customs.
What's an ROI?
I think he meant RI or registered importer. If you go this path, beware of RI's and only go with a reputable one with a documented history of success. Years ago I looked at importing a b5 rs4 and the stories from shady RIs and all of their failures were enough to deter me from pursuing this avenue.

Customs can be a PITA too. A shop I worked at imported a container of used audi parts a few years ago. Customs removed every item from the shipping container to make sure they weren't stolen, put them back in (some they damaged), and wouldn't release the shipment until we paid around $10k for their efforts.
Old 06-20-2019, 11:49 PM
mrbogangles
8th Gear

Originally Posted by phil_m
I think he meant RI or registered importer. If you go this path, beware of RI's and only go with a reputable one with a documented history of success. Years ago I looked at importing a b5 rs4 and the stories from shady RIs and all of their failures were enough to deter me from pursuing this avenue.

Customs can be a PITA too. A shop I worked at imported a container of used audi parts a few years ago. Customs removed every item from the shipping container to make sure they weren't stolen, put them back in (some they damaged), and wouldn't release the shipment until we paid around $10k for their efforts.
I am pretty sure I was part of that container.

It was complete BS that customs did that. The saving grace was that their was a large party that had invested in the container and we split the cost.

Old 06-21-2019, 04:26 AM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

Doug can probably help.

http://dividingcreekimports.com/

Mainly does rovers, but he had a 3.6 turbo so he is still a Porsche guy. He offers the services you seek and he did an excellent job with my import.

Unless it is an RS or something very valuable, you are much better off doing roll on roll off. Containers are a nightmare for import.
Old 06-21-2019, 06:40 AM
xgrudgex
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts

I JUST imported a car from Japan a month ago. Used a broker over there for all the export paperwork and shipping logistics. Used an importer over here for the sea of paperwork. Easy process. Roll On, Roll Off right to the port in NJ. PM Sent.

Quick Reply: Japanese 964 Import Help