Sponsored by:

Oh Boy, Lot's of dirt !!

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2004, 04:21 AM
Flatsixer
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Oh Boy, Lot's of dirt !!

I removed my rocker panels today as I want to replace all the black rubber trim which had shrunk, went smoothly, the nuts in behind the front fender liners and the one below the oil tank are buggers to access (lot's of swearing needed). I only broke one clip on the passenger side and broke them all on the drivers side when removing ?? Do you just get the white plastic pin or do you get the whole clip when you purchase new ones ? I must have removed five pounds of dirt from all the little crevices and rockers themselves, perhaps the previous owner did the Paris-Dakar rally a few times, unreal !! What can I use to remove the clumpy oil / dirt buildup on the thermostat ? It's a mess !! Found a bit of corrosion on the drivers side, looks like a factory seam weld seperated slightly and causing the problem, good thing I already have an appointment with my body shop in April for some other work, will get the rockers repainted then as well. Thanks to everyone for all the advice and John M for the step by step pics. Regards, Brady
Old 02-15-2004, 05:34 AM
John Boggiano
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Brady,

Make sure you do get the complete clip. The red 'female' parts (where's Phil when you need him?) get enlarged and worn with very little use. The male parts are then too loose a fit to be held snugly. There's nothing like the healthy 'snap' that you get with brand new clips!

Last edited by John Boggiano; 02-15-2004 at 08:30 AM.
Old 02-15-2004, 08:14 AM
springer3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 16 Posts

A pressure washer should do a great job getting the dirt off the thermostat and other hard to reach places. Mine has a flex wand at the end to permit spraying around corners. Any tool rental place will have one if you don't want to invest in a keeper. More power is not better for working on a car as you can damage trim pieces and even remove paint with the strong ones. Just keep your distance if you use anything 1500 psi or greater.
Old 02-15-2004, 10:56 PM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

I ordered all the peripheral parts as well as the seals for this job some time ago (as JM suggests on his site - thanks John!) and yet am too busy to complete the job at themoment! There are two seperate parts I ordered for the clips:

White clips (square things with a prong sticking out): oem-99959191640
Red plastic grommets: oem-99970216040

Plus another rather offensive thing called a kunstsoffmutter (isnt "mutter" german for "mother" and is this legal? Sounds painful if nothing else!)

its basically a gray plastic nut, part#: 99904902240.

Hope this helps! can post pics if needed!

--Howard <------jealous of your nice new seals
Old 02-16-2004, 12:35 AM
eion
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mutter has *two* meanings in German... nut as well as mother.
Old 02-16-2004, 04:25 AM
Flatsixer
Instructor

Thanks for the part numbers. I will be going to the dealer on Tuesday to order these. Regards, Brady

Quick Reply: Oh Boy, Lot's of dirt !!