Sponsored by:

Prices dropping on 964ss?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2019, 03:28 PM
Norse_man
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 964in416
Same here - something about Hank Moody's first cab was just so badass.

mine even came with a smashed headlight!

If if I can find a junker like that and it ran good I’d love it as a daily driver and something bad *** about never washing it. Mine is too nice to get that way but it would be fun to have one I didn’t car about a bird ****ting on.
Old 06-19-2019, 11:49 PM
Hatzenbach
Rennlist Member

Received 457 Likes on 214 Posts

Hi,

resurrecting this old thread.
I had nothing better to do in the last 30 minutes as to catalog all winning bringatrailer 964 listings in 2019
I excluded RS Americas and all modified cars

The first table is just the overview of all transactions

The second is the average sales price / month

The third table shows the average sales price / month by body style

Draw your own conclusions, but I feel the numbers speak for themselves

The following 2 users liked this post by Hatzenbach:
9SIX4-C4 (06-29-2019), Finlander (06-25-2019)
Old 06-20-2019, 12:20 AM
Lorenzoh
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Hatzenbach
Hi,

I had nothing better to do in the last 30 minutes as to catalog all winning bringatrailer 964 listings in 2019

Numbers always speak for themselves, and you can use numbers to prove just about any point or agenda you want. That’s begs the question...what are you trying to prove? That factory unmolested 964s are on the rise? No surprise there, but many of the cars you included are not 100% stock/ unmodified. They’ve all lived a long life and have their individual traits. Have you included euro RS cars...sunroof delete cars? Japanese imports? While I really like what you’ve done here, I feel it’s still very inaccurate due to many variables that are extremely hard to catalogue.
Old 06-20-2019, 01:26 AM
jeff33702
Rennlist Member

Received 316 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by Hatzenbach
Hi,

Thanks - good info.
Old 06-20-2019, 09:43 AM
JesusFast
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 60 Posts

Didn't the last C4 that sold on BAT have a accident?
Old 06-20-2019, 10:46 AM
Hatzenbach
Rennlist Member

Received 457 Likes on 214 Posts

Thanks for the comments. The sample size is too small as it is so I didn't want to dive into more details,
I think here are my conclusions:
a) are prices dropping on 964 - I don't think so, I rather think they're going up a little
b) mileage doesn't seem to have an influence on price, same with 2wd vs. 4wd
c) Coupes sell for the highest prices, and Targas seem to have higher prices than Cabrios
d) there was only one Tiptronic in the sample (mine) so it's hard to say if they get less money
Old 06-20-2019, 11:18 AM
Goughary
Race Car

Received 395 Likes on 262 Posts

The answer when you look at the market is yes they are dropping - but only for the cars that were too high. Buyers are more aware of what they are looking at and the silly ferver to "just buy" is over. This is good and the market is healthier.

So some of the silly sales are a little less silly. I'd be happy to see us go back to 20-30k range...these cars and the community was more fun when no one wanted these cars...except us...lol
The following users liked this post:
9SIX4-C4 (06-25-2019)
Old 06-20-2019, 12:23 PM
jeff33702
Rennlist Member

Received 316 Likes on 230 Posts

I think there’s a perfect storm that has contributed to the perceived value of these (any many other older sports cars). I don’t think it’s going anywhere - other than fluctuations...and the fact that the cream will rise to the top and command the big money. So we’re looking at $50-$60k drivers and $100k+ collectors...properly built hot rods might even see more money than clean stock drivers.

- There have been some great cars since the air-cooled Porsches....cars that outperform them by a large margin right off the showroom floor. The thing is - as cars got newer, they got a little more complicated to work on...and dare I say..less likely/worthwhile to do a full rotisserie restoration on. Air-cooled cars are still very DIY-able.
- Drivers cars...As time passes and the manufacturers all start pumping out EV models, the nostalgia and appeal of an analog IC powered car like the air-cooled cars increases. EV will absolutely destroy the performance of these cars but they aren’t making any more air-cooled 911s. I think people realize this and want a piece of the old-school...supply is limited.
- Being unique.... So many cars look like every other car right now. Between the already gorgeous lines of the 911 and the spotlight put on them by recent builders...even people who didn’t previously notice them, now lust over them. If a car guy is looking for a great looking, timeless sports car that is unique - this is a great option.
- Modification is more globally accepted. (This was my beef...stock cars were somewhat painfully slow compared to more modern offerings). Previously, the cars weren’t worth that much and getting performance out of them was not proportional in price ($$$$). On top of that, the $ per performance was (is) very high on these cars... so you’re spending money for not much performance and at the same time, devaluing the car that already isn’t worth that much... Today, the cars are worth a lot more and it makes spending money on performance much more palatable. On top of that, not everyone looks at a highly modified car as sacrilegious - so they retain more mod value than they ever did.

For these reasons, I don’t see the value tanking for anything less than a total economic meltdown.

A friend of mine just bought a McLaren - I think he’s OK with the fact that he will lose the value of a nice 964 on that car...within 2 years.
The following users liked this post:
9SIX4-C4 (06-29-2019)
Old 06-20-2019, 11:17 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

Originally Posted by Goughary
The answer when you look at the market is yes they are dropping - but only for the cars that were too high. Buyers are more aware of what they are looking at and the silly ferver to "just buy" is over. This is good and the market is healthier.

So some of the silly sales are a little less silly. I'd be happy to see us go back to 20-30k range...these cars and the community was more fun when no one wanted these cars...except us...lol

+1 THIS

Originally Posted by jeff33702
I think there’s a perfect storm that has contributed to the perceived value of these (any many other older sports cars). I don’t think it’s going anywhere - other than fluctuations...and the fact that the cream will rise to the top and command the big money. So we’re looking at $50-$60k drivers and $100k+ collectors...properly built hot rods might even see more money than clean stock drivers.

- There have been some great cars since the air-cooled Porsches....cars that outperform them by a large margin right off the showroom floor. The thing is - as cars got newer, they got a little more complicated to work on...and dare I say..less likely/worthwhile to do a full rotisserie restoration on. Air-cooled cars are still very DIY-able.
- Drivers cars...As time passes and the manufacturers all start pumping out EV models, the nostalgia and appeal of an analog IC powered car like the air-cooled cars increases. EV will absolutely destroy the performance of these cars but they aren’t making any more air-cooled 911s. I think people realize this and want a piece of the old-school...supply is limited.
- Being unique.... So many cars look like every other car right now. Between the already gorgeous lines of the 911 and the spotlight put on them by recent builders...even people who didn’t previously notice them, now lust over them. If a car guy is looking for a great looking, timeless sports car that is unique - this is a great option.
- Modification is more globally accepted. (This was my beef...stock cars were somewhat painfully slow compared to more modern offerings). Previously, the cars weren’t worth that much and getting performance out of them was not proportional in price ($$$$). On top of that, the $ per performance was (is) very high on these cars... so you’re spending money for not much performance and at the same time, devaluing the car that already isn’t worth that much... Today, the cars are worth a lot more and it makes spending money on performance much more palatable. On top of that, not everyone looks at a highly modified car as sacrilegious - so they retain more mod value than they ever did.

For these reasons, I don’t see the value tanking for anything less than a total economic meltdown.

A friend of mine just bought a McLaren - I think he’s OK with the fact that he will lose the value of a nice 964 on that car...within 2 years.
I think the primary issue with the newer Porsches is that they are far less engaging, even the GT cars.
Old 06-21-2019, 12:27 AM
Lorenzoh
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Agree with @Marine Blue , very well said.
Old 06-24-2019, 10:47 PM
Goughary
Race Car

Received 395 Likes on 262 Posts

Just re-read what i wrote. Excuse the terrible grammar. Too much time in the garage and too little time reading.
#unculturedilliteratefoo
Old 06-25-2019, 08:22 PM
JJJMCD
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

...these cars and the community was more fun when no one wanted these cars...except us...lol
100% agreed. When I bought my ‘91 C2 cab in 1999, 964s were absolutely the ugly duckling of Porsche 911s, which no one wanted, and 996s were the latest and greatest state of the art in the 911 world. It is interesting how that has turned around, with 996s assuming the ugly duckling role and the 964 ascendant and attracting a whole new group of enthusiasts, some of whom were in elementary school (or earlier) when these cars were built.
Old 06-25-2019, 08:28 PM
JJJMCD
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
I think the primary issue with the newer Porsches is that they are far less engaging, even the GT cars.
Yes, newer 911s much less tactile and have many more electronic “nannies” to save you from your own errors. They also have such dramatically greater power and cornering ability that you need to put your driver’s license in imminent peril to get anywhere near the limits, which tends to take the fun out of the process of going for a spirited drive through the countryside.
Old 06-25-2019, 09:34 PM
Boeing 717

Received 262 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by JJJMCD
100% agreed. When I bought my ‘91 C2 cab in 1999, 964s were absolutely the ugly duckling of Porsche 911s, which no one wanted, and 996s were the latest and greatest state of the art in the 911 world. It is interesting how that has turned around, with 996s assuming the ugly duckling role and the 964 ascendant and attracting a whole new group of enthusiasts, some of whom were in elementary school (or earlier) when these cars were built.
I guess I'm unique because I always thought the 964 was the best 911 by far. Even when they were persona non grata.
Old 06-26-2019, 03:38 AM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

Originally Posted by Boeing 717
I guess I'm unique because I always thought the 964 was the best 911 by far. Even when they were persona non grata.
+964

I was so happy they FINALLY got rid of the g-model’s bumpers. It’s also what they were making when I first visited the factory and I watched them being built.

I was was so happy no one wanted them and they cost so little when I bought one. On my first drive home I couldn’t believe I bought so much car for $20,000.

Quick Reply: Prices dropping on 964ss?