Suspensions and "while you're in there"

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2019, 11:53 PM
_Remi
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Suspensions and "while you're in there"

Hi friends,

My 80k miles 1993 cabriolet is pretty solid and drives great. It is however too soft and it sits too high. At high speed on back roads (say 80mph+) it gets pretty wobbly and it is generally a lot of work to drive fast. Rest assured though, I have been out with a fair amount of more modern cars and most often than not they can't keep up A picture is worth a thousand words:

Anyhow, I am ordering KW V1 today and wanted to know what would be a reasonable list of "while you're in there" around suspensions. Emphasis on reasonable since installing these and having it setup right is already quite pricey.

Thanks!
Old 05-27-2019, 12:07 AM
jonathant
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

For the KW make sure you pick up a set of 12mm ID x 14mm OD plain bushings. You’ll need those for the lower mounting holes on the front dampers. The KW use a 14mm lower mounting hole (same as the 993) whereas the 964 lower mount is 12mm.

Other guys here will have solid suggestions for more updates but the basics are to inspect and replace any of the front and rear bushings that need it, switch to the solid tie rods (ERP, FVD, Tarrett, or Rennline), and maybe update your droplinks (Tarrett or ERP).

edit: I did nothing but the V1s initially, which was a big positive change, but am now planning a more extensive update along the lines noted above.
Old 05-27-2019, 12:23 AM
Goughary
Race Car

Received 395 Likes on 262 Posts

H and R rear swaybar w sport rubber drop links.
Tarret rs front tie rods
Steering rack brace and poly bushings
Stock mo30 front swaybar
Elephant adjustable (for C4) or tarret (for c2) front end links
Elephant sport rubber control arm bushings
Ball joints if necessary
Cv boots and refurb if necessary
Wheel bearings if axles are out

Then just work on setup and alignment til you have it settled in and right.
Old 05-27-2019, 09:12 AM
LPMM
Drifting

Received 130 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by _Remi
I am ordering KW V1 today and wanted to know what would be a reasonable list of "while you're in there" around suspensions. Emphasis on reasonable since installing these and having it setup right is already quite pricey.
Thanks!
I also installed the KW V1s recently and here is what I did to mine:

* New OEM front and rear top hats. You can't really tell the condition until you pull the old ones off, so I decided to replace them.
* New control arms bushings, HD ones from Rennline. I had Rennline send the bushings directly to Andreas (AOW162435) who had a set of newly refurbished 964 control arms with my name on it. He did an amazing job with the refurb and installation of the bushings, and shipped the control arms to me in no time. I installed the new control arms and shipped my old ones back to Andreas when done.
* New ball joints from Rennline
* New OEM outer tie rods, new OEM steering rack boots, new 10mm steering stop (had the 6mm ones). I did not replace the inner tie rods as they looked completely fine after inspection.
* Steering brace from Rothsport and poly bushings directly from Ricochet. The OEM bushings were in good shape when I pulled them out and I am not sure if the poly bushings give any improvement, but they look cool being blue and all.
* Lifted up and down a million times to set the ride height.
* Home brewed alignment so I could get to the shop for a proper alignment.

As mentioned before, make sure you get the step down washers from KW if they still don't automatically include them, you WILL need them.

Last edited by LPMM; 05-27-2019 at 09:31 AM.

Quick Reply: Suspensions and "while you're in there"