Sponsored by:

Brake bleed with Motiv

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2019, 09:50 AM
Deserion
Burning Brakes

Received 54 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Laker
Besides the clean-up effort, the hoses are known to fail and shoot brake fluid inside the frunk. Not only will not running fluid extend the life of the hoses, if they do fail, you won't spray fluid over your paint.
Yeah I had that issue when I decided to use it wet. I had done a whole 987 bleed dry, and a few times on the 964. Figured I'd go wet to get the clutch bled, back under the car, and thought I heard the neighbor's sprinklers on. Noooope. Cleaned it up, added new hoses. The burst lines were the originals from the mid-2000s when the unit was purchased. Lesson learned.
Old 05-23-2019, 09:59 AM
Laker
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by cjoenck
I guess if you wanted to compare and be real scientific you would need to take into account that multiple pressurization/ depressurization cycles weaken the bleeder hose and reservoir as well. Like aircrafts, they may have a limited number of cycles before something breaks. Just a thought.
not scientific, pragmatic. Would rather blow lines or other parts 5x as often so long as there is zero risk of it spraying fluid everywhere.
Old 05-23-2019, 10:15 AM
DobermanDad
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'd do the wet method simply to save time. Fill it up and go through and bleed each nipple. Versus, reservoir is low, depressurize, unscrew, fill up, pressurize, repeat. It's less time to clean the Motiv than constantly go through the dry method steps over and over.
Old 05-23-2019, 10:52 AM
mystert
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

All this talk of blowing stuff up. Why use the motive bleeder at all! Pump! Hold! Pump again! Hold..... Just use the pedal pump method. No blowing up hoses, no clean up. Just a sore leg and the need for a second person. With all things equal it takes forever but doesn’t involve the possibility of things breaking. What if the bleeder is too tight and breaks off in the caliper, better not bleed your brakes at all since something expensive could break.
Old 05-24-2019, 08:31 AM
DobermanDad
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mystert
All this talk of blowing stuff up. Why use the motive bleeder at all! Pump! Hold! Pump again! Hold..... Just use the pedal pump method. No blowing up hoses, no clean up. Just a sore leg and the need for a second person. With all things equal it takes forever but doesn’t involve the possibility of things breaking. What if the bleeder is too tight and breaks off in the caliper, better not bleed your brakes at all since something expensive could break.
Haha! That's actually a good point.

Motiv does have an all metal cap to help prevent the cap from blowing off like that. Honestly have never worried about anything blowing up like that though, just keep an eye on the PSI and you are good to go.
Old 06-24-2019, 03:26 PM
F/51 LRS
Pro

Received 125 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by nowata
Just had a full SRF flush in february but pca wants them to be bled for every event. so can i do this using a motiv power bleed without adding fluid to the tank? any links to DIY guidance is appreciated. i haven't bled brakes myself for eons and my shop is booked out.
This is for a C4, but the principle stands (just take out of the process the diff locks/bomb/etc...)
https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...procedure.html

I bleed my brakes/hydraulic system with a dry Motiv and it works great. I haven't had issues with anything exploding or leaking, if I see a hose that looks a bit dodgy I just replace it. No issues yet. *knock on wood*
Old 06-27-2019, 08:04 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,932 Likes on 1,169 Posts

I do a lot of brake fluid flushes on many models and always use the dry method. The quick connect has a check valve so just remove that and fill the reservoir to the top and check after each corner. This way you don't need to pump it up as much each time. It takes far less time to check and refill the fluid tan it does to clean the unit after.
Old 06-28-2019, 12:29 AM
Peteinjp
Rennlist Member

Received 180 Likes on 140 Posts

I don’t get buying a bleeder if your going to use the dry method. Couldn’t you just get a cheap 1/4” regulator with a gauge and a spare cap and use your air compressor?

pete
Old 06-28-2019, 01:40 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

Originally Posted by cobalt
I do a lot of brake fluid flushes on many models and always use the dry method. The quick connect has a check valve so just remove that and fill the reservoir to the top and check after each corner. This way you don't need to pump it up as much each time. It takes far less time to check and refill the fluid tan it does to clean the unit after.
That’s exactly how I flush my brakes using the motiv, it’s really not that bad.

Quick Reply: Brake bleed with Motiv