Sponsored by:

964 Driving Questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2019, 03:01 PM
Sunny_M3
Pro

Received 72 Likes on 46 Posts
Default 964 Driving Questions

Hey there my fellow car enthusiasts, I currently own a 991.2 GT3 and its my first Porsche; I love it TO DEATH and can't imagine any car being better. However, I do want to eventually get an air-cooled Porsche to add to the stable and the 964 is my dream. I did however have several questions:

(1) My GT3 has this hunkered down grippy feeling; is this common to all Porsche models or just the GT ones? If so, do older cars also exude the same feeling?
(2) Whats the driving experience of a C2 compared to a C4? The C2 tends to command a much higher price due to it being lighter and rarer (I'm assuming?), but is the higher price really worth it?
(3) Are there any huge rust problems? I've heard that among the older Porsches, the 964 and older exude rust in certain areas whereas the 993 and newer do not.

Thanks in advance everyone!
Old 05-17-2019, 03:34 PM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 176 Posts

I can't compare the 964 to a 991 but hopefully someone else can. The C2 is definitely lighter and more of a challenge to drive quickly. The C4 is more tame due to the all wheel drive and the associated PDAS. Which is better? It depends on what you want to do with the car. If you are autocrossing it, I would recommend a C2 but if you are driving on the street touring, then they are nearly identical.

As for rust, neither of my cars have rust but I don't drive them in the winter (salted roads).

My advice is to drive a couple and then decide if the 964 is for you. Good luck and keep us posted what you decide.

Old 05-17-2019, 04:01 PM
Sunny_M3
Pro

Originally Posted by Rocket Rob
I can't compare the 964 to a 991 but hopefully someone else can. The C2 is definitely lighter and more of a challenge to drive quickly. The C4 is more tame due to the all wheel drive and the associated PDAS. Which is better? It depends on what you want to do with the car. If you are autocrossing it, I would recommend a C2 but if you are driving on the street touring, then they are nearly identical.

As for rust, neither of my cars have rust but I don't drive them in the winter (salted roads).

My advice is to drive a couple and then decide if the 964 is for you. Good luck and keep us posted what you decide.

Thank you for the kind reply. I'll definitely see if I can find one to drive. The GT3 kind of emptied my bank account, haha, so it'll be a while before I can purchase another car; however, I'll spend that time doing more research

Thanks again!
Old 05-17-2019, 04:04 PM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 176 Posts

Where are you? Maybe someone here is nearby and will let you see and drive theirs.
Old 05-17-2019, 05:54 PM
BLACK3.2
Pro

Received 175 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by Sunny_M3
Hey there my fellow car enthusiasts, I currently own a 991.2 GT3 and its my first Porsche; I love it TO DEATH and can't imagine any car being better. However, I do want to eventually get an air-cooled Porsche to add to the stable and the 964 is my dream. I did however have several questions:

(1) My GT3 has this hunkered down grippy feeling; is this common to all Porsche models or just the GT ones? If so, do older cars also exude the same feeling?
(2) Whats the driving experience of a C2 compared to a C4? The C2 tends to command a much higher price due to it being lighter and rarer (I'm assuming?), but is the higher price really worth it?
(3) Are there any huge rust problems? I've heard that among the older Porsches, the 964 and older exude rust in certain areas whereas the 993 and newer do not.

Thanks in advance everyone!
I've driven my buddy's 991.2 GT3 hard on Angles Crest, as well as around town in LA. My 964 coupe is a modified 3.8 with RS cams, cross-coilover suspension, lowered, LSD, beefed up tranny and big brake kit. So that's the comparison I'm making. I've also driven an unmodified 964 coupe, and I will say that some of the magic is there even with the unmodified ones.

Comparing the GT3 with my car, yes they are similar in feel and experience, though of course the 964 is not anywhere near as fast. The 964 is more raw and elemental feeling. Regarding that "hunkered down" feeling, in my opinion all 911s have it, save for the 996. The 964, especially one that's been lightened, will feel very similar to a GT3.

Both the 964 and 993 tend to develop a rust bubble in a particular spot under the front windshield. It's such common issue that most buyers don't really discount for it. I have a small bubble and do plan to get rid of it when I eventually repaint the car of if I have the windshield out for any reason. Other than that spot, they are not any more prone to rust than any other modern cars.

Let us know where you're located. Many guys would gladly trade a drive in their 964 for a drive in a GT3.
Old 05-17-2019, 06:09 PM
Sunny_M3
Pro

Originally Posted by Rocket Rob
Where are you? Maybe someone here is nearby and will let you see and drive theirs.
I'm in the San Francisco Bay Area. If anyone has any time, I'd love to get a ride in a 964!
Old 05-17-2019, 06:10 PM
Sunny_M3
Pro

Originally Posted by BLACK3.2
I've driven my buddy's 991.2 GT3 hard on Angles Crest, as well as around town in LA. My 964 coupe is a modified 3.8 with RS cams, cross-coilover suspension, lowered, LSD, beefed up tranny and big brake kit. So that's the comparison I'm making. I've also driven an unmodified 964 coupe, and I will say that some of the magic is there even with the unmodified ones.

Comparing the GT3 with my car, yes they are similar in feel and experience, though of course the 964 is not anywhere near as fast. The 964 is more raw and elemental feeling. Regarding that "hunkered down" feeling, in my opinion all 911s have it, save for the 996. The 964, especially one that's been lightened, will feel very similar to a GT3.

Both the 964 and 993 tend to develop a rust bubble in a particular spot under the front windshield. It's such common issue that most buyers don't really discount for it. I have a small bubble and do plan to get rid of it when I eventually repaint the car of if I have the windshield out for any reason. Other than that spot, they are not any more prone to rust than any other modern cars.

Let us know where you're located. Many guys would gladly trade a drive in their 964 for a drive in a GT3.
Most definitely! I'd be more than happy to give anyone a ride in the GT3 (that car is meant to be shared). I live in the San Francisco Bay Area and if anyone is free, send me a PM and we can meet up!
Old 05-17-2019, 06:25 PM
2swoosh
Rennlist Member

Received 239 Likes on 199 Posts

Yo OP, you forgot to mention on your GT-3 pdk or manual?
Old 05-17-2019, 07:26 PM
BLACK3.2
Pro

Received 175 Likes on 99 Posts

For what it's worth, the GT3 I drove was PDK. It was my first PDK car. I expected to hate it but left completely sold. If I get a GT3 that has available PDK, that's what I'm getting. I realized I only ever loved manual because it could put me in the gear I wanted to be in NOW with no hesitation. PDK solves that problem completely.
Old 05-17-2019, 07:39 PM
Bossing
Rennlist Member

Received 89 Likes on 45 Posts

I have both a 991.2 GT3 and a 964 C2.... both stock powertrain. Excluding the GT4 for this comparison. The GT3 and the 964 are polar opposites but both are 10/10 super fun to drive! I love the pdk and I’m an avid manual enthusiast. Best of both worlds IMHO would be a manual aircooled like the 964 and any watercooled GT3 (pdk or manual it doesn’t really matter; just pick your poison of choice). Or even a GT3RS (or GT2RS) would be the golden ticket.

The newer GT cars are track-able street cars out of the box while a stock/near-stock 964 is a fabulous spirited-driving carver out of the box. Both feel well-planted and the balance & handling is superb but both do it differently. Obviously the 964 is much more analog & raw but the GT3 still has endless character and brings out smiles for miles. Both are mechanical and visceral IMO. Like what I said.... best of both worlds, a timeless classic and a modern weapon.
Old 05-17-2019, 09:45 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

It should be noted that the stock 964 suspension is not confidence inspiring at all, but with new shocks/springs and alignment it is rock solid and incredibly capable.
Old 05-18-2019, 04:01 AM
tinman964
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sunny_M3
I'm in the San Francisco Bay Area. If anyone has any time, I'd love to get a ride in a 964!
I am in the Bay Area too and recently bought a 91’ C4; is completely stock ...for now. My bro has a 991.2 GT3 as well. Let me know when you want to meet up to try out the 964.
Old 05-18-2019, 02:41 PM
Sunny_M3
Pro

Originally Posted by 2swoosh
Yo OP, you forgot to mention on your GT-3 pdk or manual?
Its a manual
Old 05-18-2019, 02:49 PM
Sunny_M3
Pro

Originally Posted by Bossing
I have both a 991.2 GT3 and a 964 C2.... both stock powertrain. Excluding the GT4 for this comparison. The GT3 and the 964 are polar opposites but both are 10/10 super fun to drive! I love the pdk and I’m an avid manual enthusiast. Best of both worlds IMHO would be a manual aircooled like the 964 and any watercooled GT3 (pdk or manual it doesn’t really matter; just pick your poison of choice). Or even a GT3RS (or GT2RS) would be the golden ticket.

The newer GT cars are track-able street cars out of the box while a stock/near-stock 964 is a fabulous spirited-driving carver out of the box. Both feel well-planted and the balance & handling is superb but both do it differently. Obviously the 964 is much more analog & raw but the GT3 still has endless character and brings out smiles for miles. Both are mechanical and visceral IMO. Like what I said.... best of both worlds, a timeless classic and a modern weapon.
Awesome description! Thank you so much! From what I've been reading since I started the thread, my dream would be to have a white 964 C2, black 1552 wheels, Bilstien PSS9s (not to lower the car, just tighten things up), momo prototipo steering wheel, maybe a CAE Ultra Shifter, and Sharkwerks exhaust. I'd keep the motor, body, and interior stock and drive the hell out of it!
Old 05-18-2019, 02:50 PM
Sunny_M3
Pro

Originally Posted by tinman964
I am in the Bay Area too and recently bought a 91’ C4; is completely stock ...for now. My bro has a 991.2 GT3 as well. Let me know when you want to meet up to try out the 964.
Awesome!!! I'm usually free on the weekends; I'll PM you so we can coordinate! Thank you so much!

Quick Reply: 964 Driving Questions