Sponsored by:

Opinions on Service intervals / Waxoyl treatment

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2004, 11:06 AM
CraigyB

Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opinions on Service intervals / Waxoyl treatment

I got my 90 C4 last June, and the previous owner had just had a major service done, and waxoyl treatment for the underneath of the car.
Since then I've driven appox 5000 miles (moderate driving), and will be taking the car for a tour round the continent this summer.
I am tempted to have another major service done for peace of mind and wondered if other members thought it would be worth it ?

Also does anyone else have waxoyl treatment under their cars and is it worth it ?
Old 02-13-2004, 11:15 AM
springer3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 16 Posts

I would repeat the service only if I was concerned that the work was not done or possibly done impoperly. If the car is running OK, and you are confident that the work was done properly, I would make the trip without concern. Over-maintaining a car is not good for it either. Mechanics make mistakes and even good ones do some incremental damage (wear) to the parts removed and replaced during a major service.

I have not heard of Waxoyl, but it would be difficult to get any corrosion preventative into the spaces that need it most (hollow sections in the frame rails, inside doors). If there is no rust showing, I would be comfortable knowing that the factory rust protection was still working.
Old 02-13-2004, 11:22 AM
Roygarth
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I certainly wouldn't have a 'major' service after '5/6000 miles & 10 months'. At most an oil change. But get good breakdown recovery insurance in case you break down in the middle of nowhere!
Old 02-13-2004, 11:34 AM
Christer
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Craigyb

The manual says to have the car serviced every 12000miles or 12 months. I would follow Porsche instructions, although I wouldn't bother doing valve adjusts every year.
Old 02-13-2004, 01:44 PM
John Boggiano
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like Waxoyl, but it never seems to last as long as it should. Somehow, having that Waxoyl 'smell' when I open the garage door gives a glow of satisfaction. Whether or not it does any real good, I don't know but I was impressed when having had it dribble onto the top of a VERY rusty can next to the container - the rust disappeared in a week!

Quick Reply: Opinions on Service intervals / Waxoyl treatment